MiniSD brands

Guest RichardD

Guest RichardD

I was about to order a SanDisk 1gb miniSD from mobymemory for £38ish including delivery,

but does the expression "you pay for what you get" apply with memory cards ?

They have their own branded miniSD which is a couple of £ extra.

A google / kelkoo didn't show anything around the same price elsewhere.

What brand are you using with your Wizard and would you recommend it please ?

Edited by RichardD

SanDisk are a well known good brand of SD card as far as I know - they have a respected range of SD (and other memory card) products.

I've heard of cheaper "no name" brands developing read/write problems before (although this is likely not THAT much more common than respected brand cards) and of them not always being the speed that they are advertised at. This is mostly with cards from Hong Kong, etc, though.

I currently use a 1gig SanDisk MiniSD in my Wizard, although when I had my C500/Tornado I used a 512meg Kingmax MiniSD without problems.

Personally I'd buy a SanDisk card over any other brand - the reason the MobyMemory 1gb MiniSD is more expensive is because it's a high-speed MiniSD card, which it's arguable as to whether you'd need one for the Wizard. SanDisk's own high(er) speed MiniSD would cost more than the MobyMemory one, although MobyMemory don't have them in stock.

Edited by lekus

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rylee44
I was about to order a SanDisk 1gb miniSD from mobymemory for £38ish including delivery,

but does the expression "you pay for what you get" apply with memory cards ?

They have their own branded miniSD which is a couple of £ extra.

A google / kelkoo didn't show anything around the same price elsewhere.

What brand are you using with your Wizard and would you recommend it please ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm using a PQI 512mb minisd with no problems in a Cingular 8125. Before this the same chip was used in an Audiovox SMT5600. I have had no problems with the chip, I plan on finding a 1gb or larger, and PQI isn't a bad choice.

Guest mini_man

They are fantastic for memory cards and i think alot of people on modaco get theirs from mobymemory as well. The delivery is awesome and I had no problems.

Guest adudley

I bought a 1GB mobymemory miniSD back when mobimemory were the ONLY uk ppl selling them, it was over £100. Its been going for over a year now, and its fantastic, NEVER had a problem.

They have a 5 year warrnty on their own stuff, you cant complain about that.

I will buy a mobymemory card again, even if its an extra £10, I like life to be as trouble free as possible!

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody got any info on when/if a 4GB Mini SD might be appearing. And whether the Wizard support such a size?

I've currently got a 512MB and would like more, but don't want to buy 2GB when it's been out for quite a while and 4GB should, hopefully, be out soon.

Guest orangezorki

Are you sure that a 4Gb card would work - I have a feeling that the original standard maxes out a 2Gb - would we need a miniSD base upon the new SD HD standard?

David

Are you sure that a 4Gb card would work - I have a feeling that the original standard maxes out a 2Gb - would we need a miniSD base upon the new SD HD standard?

David

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um, not sure I understood all that. Original standard? new SD HD Standard? :?: ;)

Not sure whether it would work, but would obviously prefer more storage if possible. If 2GB is the max then i guess i wouldn't need to wait.

Anybody else know if the wizard would/wouldn't support 4GB?

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Theres no reason for the wizard itself to not support 4GB (the filesystem is perfectly capable of handling that much storage)

Theres no reason for the wizard itself to not support 4GB (the filesystem is perfectly capable of handling that much storage)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, now that's what I want to hear! ;)

So, ;) has anybody heard anything about when/if 4GB Mini Sd may be appearing?