pookiecheeks

airscanner security bundle

2 posts in this topic

hello all,

i'm not sure if i've been wise and sensible, or a fool who's rushed it etc. can pocket pcs get viruses ? is a firewall on a pocket pc needed ? i'm asking because i've just paid out $58 on airscanner's security bundle. anyone have any opinions on it ?

other software i have includes:-

spb - pocketplus, diary, finance, weather, time, tips & tricks, arkaball

handmark - scrabble, trivial pursuit, monopoly

visualit - tube2 london streets, tube2 gb road atlas, tube2 london congestion charge

agilemessenger

thank you for any response.

pookie

Edited by pookiecheeks

There are no known viruses on the Pocket PC. There is a proof-of-concept but no real ones. Risk is relatively low; most viruses require a large number of potential victims to spread. The Pocket PC is pretty obscure. When was the last time your pocket pc communicated directly (not phone/sms) with another Pocket PC? That's the common way to spread nowadays. It's the same reason Apple have never had a big virus problem. Lets say a Mac virus mails 20 friends in an attempt to spread, how many have Macs to continue the infection? Not many!

Firewall is a maybe. I scanned mine and found no open ports. When you connect to ActiveSync, it opens one. Other applications may use listening ports as required. It's these that a firewall protects, so it may be worth it someday. I'm not too bothered at the moment.