Cant Connect Phone To PC

Guest sbsdegb1

Guest sbsdegb1

Hi all you techies out there. I have a problem getting windows to recognise my Wizard. This has nothing to do with Activesync, this is when you first plug your phone into the usb port and get it added to device manager.

I had it all working on my laptop running Win2K. I then upgraded to Win XP SP2 and now I can't install the phone. When I plug it in I get the message Found New Hardware 'Generic RNDIS' then says windows mobile Based Device.

The found new hardware wizard pops up and I go through the usual setting up drivers procedure. I then get the message at the end saying :

There was a problem installing your hardware

Windows Mobile-based Device

An Error occurred during the installation of the device

The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name.

If i try to install again I get the same message but it will say Windows Mobile-based Device #2 (and so on).

I have tried deleting all entries in the registry relating to generic RNDIS and Windows Mobile-based device. I have also tried the steps detailed in the microsoft knowledge base article for rectifying this but to no avail.

So anyone any ideas. It is driving me mad as I use outlook to send and recieve sms messages when at work, not to mention syncing all my contacts etc.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I know this isn't a particularly useful reply, but my PC refused to allow activesync to work. I never did work out how to resolve it before i reinstalled WindowsXP, and its worked absolutely fine ever since!

Guest Swampie
Hi all you techies out there. I have a problem getting windows to recognise my Wizard. This has nothing to do with Activesync, this is when you first plug your phone into the usb port and get it added to device manager.

I had it all working on my laptop running Win2K. I then upgraded to Win XP SP2 and now I can't install the phone. When I plug it in I get the message Found New Hardware 'Generic RNDIS' then says windows mobile Based Device.

The found new hardware wizard pops up and I go through the usual setting up drivers procedure. I then get the message at the end saying :

If i try to install again I get the same message but it will say Windows Mobile-based Device #2 (and so on).

I have tried deleting all entries in the registry relating to generic RNDIS and Windows Mobile-based device. I have also tried the steps detailed in the microsoft knowledge base article for rectifying this but to no avail.

So anyone any ideas. It is driving me mad as I use outlook to send and recieve sms messages when at work, not to mention syncing all my contacts etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got this message this evening when I plugged my new MDA Vario into my home PC, forgetting that I hadn't installed ActiveSync.

I then installed ActiveSync 4.1 and it worked fine after that.

Have you installed ActiveSync 4.1 yet? ActiveSync isn't just the Sync part - it also installs the drivers for the devices.

Edited by Swampie

Guest spdabbs

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When it tries to install the drivers, instead of selecting the Automatic install, tell it to search in the c:\program files\microsoft activesync directory for the drivers (that's where they're located)

If you think the issue may be to do with old drivers still residing on the system but not showing, try entering the following into the command prompt then selecting "Show Hidden Devices" in the device manager window:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

devmgmt.msc

This will display the hardware devices for which drivers are present but the hardware isn't detected, you can then remove any obselete drivers that may be causing your issue.

Guest sbsdegb1
When it tries to install the drivers, instead of selecting the Automatic install, tell it to search in the c:\program files\microsoft activesync  directory for the drivers (that's where they're located)

If you think the issue may be to do with old drivers still residing on the system but not showing, try entering the following into the command prompt then selecting "Show Hidden Devices" in the device manager window:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

devmgmt.msc

This will display the hardware devices for which drivers are present but the hardware isn't detected, you can then remove any obselete drivers that may be causing your issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tried this thanks but still no good.

Guest sbsdegb1
I got this message this evening when I plugged my new MDA Vario into my home PC, forgetting that I hadn't installed ActiveSync.

I then installed ActiveSync 4.1 and it worked fine after that.

Have you installed ActiveSync 4.1 yet?  ActiveSync isn't just the Sync part - it also installs the drivers for the devices.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have Activesync installed. Version 4.1.0 (Build 4841)

Have you tried plugging into a different USB port? It sounds odd but I have used it a number of times when it starts playing up trying to sync.

When you do plug it in it will install drivers for the device on that particular port, but this has no effect on anything else you might want to install on that port.

Also in case that doesn't do anything, the error might related to the networking entry that it creates, if you haven't already, go into Network connections and delete any reference to Windows Mobile if there is any.

Other than that I can't think of anything else at the mo. As Mono said sometimes you just can't figure out what's causing it and it just clears itself :?:

Guest sbsdegb1
Have you tried plugging into a different USB port?  It sounds odd but I have used it a number of times when it starts playing up trying to sync.

When you do plug it in it will install drivers for the device on that particular port, but this has no effect on anything else you might want to install on that port.

Also in case that doesn't do anything, the error might related to the networking entry that it creates, if you haven't already, go into Network connections and delete any reference to Windows Mobile if there is any.

Other than that I can't think of anything else at the mo.  As Mono said sometimes you just can't figure out what's causing it and it just clears itself  :?:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tried all of the above. I have even hacked the registry clearing any sign of generic rndis and Windows mobile-based Device. Must have one of the cleanest registries going at the moment as far as networking goes.

A thought has just occurred to me are you on a stand alone computer or a PC that is already connected to a network? If connected to a network does it have exchange sever?

Guest sbsdegb1
A thought has just occurred to me are you on a stand alone computer or a PC that is already connected to a network?  If connected to a network does it have exchange sever?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes its connected to an exchange server. But the problem is to do with the device being connected to the computer and not an activesync problem.

It was all working fine until I upgraded to win xp sp2. Its all very odd.

Ah, it sounds like the same problem I have at work. I found that either disconnecting the network connection once you've logged on or Outlook to download a sync'd version of all your contacts, calendar, etc to the PC, it then connected and worked for me.

Guest sbsdegb1
Ah, it sounds like the same problem I have at work.  I found that either disconnecting the network connection once you've logged on or Outlook to download a sync'd version of all your contacts, calendar, etc to the PC, it then connected and worked for me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I don't know why unplugging the network cable did the trick but it did thanks, especially after all the registry hacking I have been doing and following Microsoft Knowledgebase articles on the subject.

Just unpluggen the network cable connected the phone expecting same error message. detected generic RNDIS then Windows Mobile-based device and then the message I have been tring to get for over a week. Device Connected Successfully.

Activesync picked up the Wizard and away we go. Plugged back in network cable and all working again.

Thanks for all your feedback and pointers. Eventually we got there.

• 3 months later...
Guest adudley

Hi all, Thisisnt a response per sa, its just for ppl in the future who are lucky enoough to find this thread, google sure dosnt find it, but here are some keywords I tried when having this exact same problem, read on for the fix!!

Windows mobile smartphone hardware install problem The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name hardware network problem - stupid windows xp sp2 broke my ruddy phone and now I'm wasting hours trying to fix the blasted thing

OK, go here and read this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823771/en-us

no, its not nice, but it only take about 30 mins in all, and it will work, so what can i say, BUT

There are TWO 'folders' of registry keys to delete, I'm really sorry, but I cant remember the exact names, but this should help.

Folder one-.

Begins with an R or a U

something like Rndis, or USBRndis

if you look at the keys and values (items on the right hand side of regedit) you will see are reference to a file called usb8023Y.sys (that is exact, you could serach for it if you like). (If you were to have looked at the DRIVERs folder that comes with Activsync 4.1, that is one of the files, so I deleted that whol folder of values)

Folder two, (was below folder one when sorted by name!!)

Cant remember much about this, but in the little 'description' value you seem to get for each of the services, it said something like Win CE 5 link up and make the world right, well no it didnt, but it sure did say WinCE or Win CE (with a space), so delete that too.

Well I hope that helps sobody, its jsut taken me 2 hours to sort this mess out.

Adam

Guest adudley
Hi all, Thisisnt a response per sa, its just for ppl in the future who are lucky enoough to find this thread, google sure dosnt find it, but here are some keywords I tried when having this exact same problem, read on for the fix!!

Windows mobile smartphone hardware install problem The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name hardware network problem - stupid windows xp sp2 broke my ruddy phone and now I'm wasting hours trying to fix the blasted thing

OK, go here and read this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823771/en-us

no, its not nice, but it only take about 30 mins in all, and it will work, so what can i say, BUT

There are TWO 'folders' of registry keys to delete, I'm really sorry, but I cant remember the exact names, but this should help.

Folder one-.

Begins with an R or a U

something like Rndis, or USBRndis

if you look at the keys and values (items on the right hand side of regedit) you will see are reference to a file called usb8023Y.sys (that is exact, you could serach for it if you like). (If you were to have looked at the DRIVERs folder that comes with Activsync 4.1, that is one of the files, so I deleted that whol folder of values)

Folder two, (was below folder one when sorted by name!!)

Cant remember much about this, but in the little 'description' value you seem to get for each of the services, it said something like Win CE 5 link up and make the world right, well no it didnt, but it sure did say WinCE or Win CE (with a space), so delete that too.

Well I hope that helps sobody, its jsut taken me 2 hours to sort this mess out.

Adam

Just realised putting a web link in is bad for archiving, so this is the instructions that are in the web page:

1.Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.2.Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.3.In Device Manager, expand Network adapters, right-click Network_Adapter_Name, and then click Uninstall. 4.In the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK.5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each network adapter that is listed in Device Manager.6.Close Device Manager.7.Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.8.On the General tab, click Diagnostic Startup - load basic devices and services only.9.Click the Services tab, and then click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.10.In the Services list, click to clear each of the services check boxes, and then click OK.11.Restart your computer.12.Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. 13.In Registry Editor, click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, click File, and then click Export.14.In the Save In list, click Desktop, in the Name box type HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, click Save, and then close the Export Registry File dialog box.15.Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services, and then look for registry entries specific to your network adapter. For example, if you have a Linksys network adapter, look for entries named Linksys. When you find an entry, right-click the name and then click Delete.16.Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.17.On the General tab, click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services.18.Click the Services tab, and then click to select each service check box.19.Restart your computer.20.Windows XP will detect your network adapter and install the correct driver files.21.Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK. 22.On the General tab, click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services.23.Click the Services tab, and then click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box. 24.In the Services list, click to select each of the services check boxes, and then click OK. 25.Restart your computer several times to make sure that all devices and services are loading correctly.26.When you are sure that all devices are working correctly, right-click the following registry entry on your desktop, click Delete, and then click Yes to confirm: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,

sorry its not formated.

adam

Guest peekie

to solve the problem use htc's usb switch , a small application where you can switch from serial to RNDIS without changing anything on the computer or phone, best of all it works . Do a search on modaco and you will find the file to download :)