Understanding the MDA's Internet connections

Guest TerryG

Guest TerryG

Okay, thanks and further, here is what I learned, and confirmed. Let me see if I can write it simply so to help others with the same question.

First, ActiveSync does indeed use (what I would call) Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) ... i.e. when ActiveSync is connected with USB or Bluetooth, and Use USB and a Bluetooth COM port are checked in Connection Settings in ActiveSync, then the MDA will share the PC's Internet connection over either of them.

The key is: the MDA is only capable of one Internet connection (in techeze, it has only one TCP/IP software stack). The stack gets passed around between the 4 possible Internet connections: USB, Bluetooth, WiFi, GPRS/EDGE. Whoever has the stack is "it".

When USB is connected, USB gets the stack. Therefore, the Internet connection will be over USB using ICS on the PC through ActiveSync.

When Bluetooth is connected, Bluetooth gets the stack. Therefore the Internet connection will be over Bluetooth using ICS on the PC through ActiveSync.

That means during either of USB or Bluetooth connections, browsing and email will "come over" either USB or Bluetooth, respectively, and through the PC's Internet connection.

That also means, WiFi and GPRS will be "over ridden" or "in the background".

You can check this by turning off Bluetooth, WiFi, and Phone in Connection Manager on the MDA, plugging in USB, having USB enabled in ActiveSync under Connection Settings on the PC, and then browsing the Internet ... it will browse (check your little two monitors on the PC and your PC's Internet connection will be active while pages are loading on the MDA).

This will work the same if you are not connected with USB, but with Bluetooth.

When USB and Bluetooth are disconnected, if WiFi is enabled and "connected" to a WAN, then WiFi will get the stack. Therefore the Internet connection will be over WiFi through the WAN access point (AP). [Note: WiFi won't connect to a WAN AP while USB or Bluetooth are connected 'cause WiFi needs the stack to get an (IP) address from the WAN AP, and USB or Bluetooth has the stack.]

When USB, Bluetooth, and WiFi are "not connected", then GPRS/EDGE will get the stack. Therefore the Internet connection will be over GPRS/EDGE through the T-Mobile Network.

So, as an example in my case, I wanted to be able to plug my MDA into my PC to keep it charged at work, and still have it get email and phone calls. So, I now know I can turn on Phone, turn off WiFi and Bluetooth on the unit, then turn on USB (and the Bluetooth COM port if you want) in Connection Settings on the PC, and now the phone will charge, get calls, and also get email over the USB-ICS connection too.

The seems almost trivial now that I understand it, but it was not clear at all to me at first, so I thought this would help someone else.

In the end, I have to say, the MDA and WM5 is growing on me more and more.

Best regards,

Terry.

Guest c00kie

Great info, thanks Terry.

I've had my Vario for around a week now and am justing finding my way around with it. My first Windows mobile. Had a Motorola A1000 before and this looked like a good upgrade.

I'm having problems connecting to my wireless router and get connected say 1 in 10 attempts, but still researching to see if I can find the problem.

Cheers

Guest YoungHog

Great post..

A few things that I have noticed.

Indeed when connected via wifi i.e. 802.11g

and plugging up the active sync connection.

the WIFI is overwritten.. However the connection is still active but no wifi items i.e. email / internet browse can occur.

--

That means during either of USB or Bluetooth connections, browsing and email will "come over" either USB or Bluetooth, respectively, and through the PC's Internet connection.

--

I have not been able to connect to the internet or send pop email etc. via the activesync connection..

I always get unable 'cannot connect.. the current connection cannot be used for your request...'

So explain in more detail how you got this to work. If you did.

If I remember I believe I have received gprs items while connected

to active sync.. i.e. mms but also will confirm.

So, as an example in my case, I wanted to be able to plug my MDA into my PC to keep it charged at work, and still have it get email and phone calls. So, I now know I can turn on Phone, turn off WiFi and Bluetooth on the unit, then turn on USB (and the Bluetooth COM port if you want) in Connection Settings on the PC, and now the phone will charge, get calls, and also get email over the USB-ICS connection too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On your listed area above which I quoted.. I still get

'cannot connect.. the current connection cannot be used for your request...'

So advise how you did this.. please.. :idea:

pre-thanks

YoungHog

Guest Laser_iCE

Sounds like what I was explaining to you in your other thread ;) It's all about using the most appropriate connection. You'll notice that in your MMS settings, that by default (for my Telstra K-JAM ROM), MMS messages are only downloaded once your phone is connected to your computer via ActiveSync, so that way, you're not using GPRS/EDGE/WAP (by default) to download your messages, saving you money! ;)

Guest YoungHog
Sounds like what I was explaining to you in your other thread ;) It's all about using the most appropriate connection. You'll notice that in your MMS settings, that by default (for my Telstra K-JAM ROM), MMS messages are only downloaded once your phone is connected to your computer via ActiveSync, so that way, you're not using GPRS/EDGE/WAP (by default) to download your messages, saving you money! ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Laser.. not sure who your referring to.. As this is my 1st post on this topic and probably 2nd post on the board..

My mms messages are received instantly.. but again i'm not sure who your posting to..

My question to TerryG was how did he do it..

pre-thanks.

Guest YoungHog
I was referring to TerryG, and my question to you, is how did he do what? ;\

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He stated..

and now the phone will charge, get calls, and also get email over the USB-ICS connection too.

HOW DID HE/YOU WHOMEVER accomplish this.. because I always get..

pre-thanks

YoungHog

Guest steve_smith
and now the phone will charge, get calls, and also get email over the USB-ICS connection too.

HOW DID HE/YOU WHOMEVER accomplish this.. because I always get..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I sometimes get a strange problem with mine (which has happened with both the T-Mobile ROMs, plus the latest I-Mate ROM). When you dock the phone with the PC (ie. using the USB cable) it tries to make a connection somewhere using GPRS (the little 'G' data transfer icon starts animating). Eventually it fails. This is when the connection is trying to sync with my Exchange server for email. I believe the stuff it has to sync with ActiveSync (like your internet favourites and notes) still get synced properly.

It's almost as if for some reason, it's decided not to use the pass-through USB connection to connect to my Exchange server, but wants to use GPRS instead (which as the OP already pointed out, won't work because there is only one TCP/IP stack). At the same time, I can successfully use the pass through connection to browse websites including the webmail login page of the Exchange Server the phone is unable to connect to...

By trial and error, I found that if I first turn on the built-in WiFi (even if it can't find a router) before connecting the phone to the PC, it then works fine. Most odd. I suppose it could be my PC, it could be my installation of ActiveSync 4.1, or it could be something up with the phone... or even my company's Exchange Server.

Sometimes I get fed up with this phone. It has so much potential, but I find it's far less user friendly than my old C500 (in fact, I unlocked the C500 and have been using my T-Mobile SIM in it most of the time). Was thinking of putting it on eBay and getting myself an unlocked C600 instead. Although since thats also running Windows Mobile 5, I guess it might have the same problem.

Guest TerryG
Great info, thanks Terry.

I've had my Vario for around a week now and am justing finding my way around with it. My first Windows mobile. Had a Motorola A1000 before and this looked like a good upgrade.

I'm having problems connecting to my wireless router and get connected say 1 in 10 attempts, but still researching to see if I can find the problem.

Cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

c00kie,

I learned that, though T-Mobile is advertising 802.11g in some places, the firmware is only actually enabled for 802.11b. So you have two choices with regards to your router:

1. set the router to Wireless Mixed mode, so it will connect up 802.11b and g devices, and therefore allow your MDA running in 802.11b mode to connect.

2. Use the attachement (whic I downloaded from this forum) and it will turn on g mode in your radio. I did this and it works. Copy this to your MDA and click on it. Then reset.

I hope it's okay to have attached this and please look for the original so as to give proper credit etc.

BTW, I have noticed that in landscape mode (i.e. keyboard in use), signal strenght is diminished (due to the orientation of the antenna).

Good luck.

DJVW_HTC_Wizard_Optimizer_2_1__1_.0.cab

Guest TerryG
Great post..

A few things that I have noticed.

Indeed when connected via wifi i.e. 802.11g

and plugging up the active sync connection.

the WIFI is overwritten.. However the connection is still active but no wifi items i.e. email / internet browse can occur.

--

--

I have not been able to connect to the internet or send pop email etc. via the activesync connection..

I always get unable 'cannot connect.. the current connection cannot be used for your request...'

So explain in more detail how you got this to work. If you did.

If I remember I believe I have received gprs items while connected

to active sync.. i.e. mms but also will confirm.

On your listed area above which I quoted.. I still get

So advise how you did this.. please..  :idea:

pre-thanks

YoungHog

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YoungHog (Harley reference BTW?),

I didn't do anything "special" to get the connection to share, which I am still curious about ... must be a Microsoft incestual interaction of some sort behind the curtain between XP Home SP2 and WM5. I looked and ICS is not enabled in the GUI, though it is clearly functioning as such.

What I've done in the end is:

1. Installed ActiveSync 4.1

2. Checked ActiveSync -> File -> Communications Settings -> Allow USB connections

3. I also have Bluetooth set up and therefore a COM port for it is also enabled there, but this is incidental

4. This Computer is Connected to Automatic is selected in the pull down

5. And Open ActiveSync when my device connects is NOT checked

I actually have both Bluetooth and WiFi "red x'd" with only Phone enabled, and absolutely without doubt I can browse and see a direct correlation between new pages loading in the browser and the the two-little-computer icon in SysTray on my XP PC lighting up.

In this state, the MDA shows only a Right-and-Left-"segmented"-arrows icon on the top (this is the ActiveSync icon, as opposed to the WiFi mini tower with arrows or the GPRS little G with arrows). Do you get this? Also, can you browse the MDA's files through the Explore button in ActiveSync ... and therefore it says "Connected" and the ActiveSync's icon on your PC is Green?

From this state, as soon as I unplug the USB, the G-arrows icon starts up, plug it in and the ActiveSync icon shows up again.

Note: I only sync Contacts, Calendar, Notes, and Favorites ... I get email over POPs.

Also Note: My PC's internet connection is on a wired LAN to a router serving DHCP and DSL. Maybe someone can tell me how to check the IP address on the MDA for the NOT WiFi connections? ... I just looked at my router and the MDA is not listed in the DHCP client table so it must be that XP<->WM5 thing getting the MDA and IP address or NAT'ing or something ... ???

Terry.

Guest TerryG

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Laser_iCE:

Yes, ergo my opening with "Thanks" ... probably could've done a better job at highlighting my appreciation to you, but it *was* your reply that stimulated me to dig in on it. I changed the subject as the scope widened. Actually nailed my understanding while on the phone with HTC support and they actually learned from the call too and added it to their internal forum. Thanks again!

Regards,

Terry.

Guest YoungHog
YoungHog (Harley reference BTW?),

I didn't do anything "special" to get the connection to share, which I am still curious about ... must be a Microsoft incestual interaction of some sort behind the curtain between XP Home SP2 and WM5. I looked and ICS is not enabled in the GUI, though it is clearly functioning as such.

What I've done in the end is:

1. Installed ActiveSync 4.1

2. Checked ActiveSync -> File -> Communications Settings ->  Allow USB connections

3. I also have Bluetooth set up and therefore a COM port for it is also enabled there, but this is incidental

4. This Computer is Connected to Automatic is selected in the pull down

5. And Open ActiveSync when my device connects is NOT checked

I actually have both Bluetooth and WiFi "red x'd" with only Phone enabled, and absolutely without doubt I can browse and see a direct correlation between new pages loading in the browser and the the two-little-computer icon in SysTray on my XP PC lighting up.

In this state, the MDA shows only a Right-and-Left-"segmented"-arrows icon on the top (this is the ActiveSync icon, as opposed to the WiFi mini tower with arrows or the GPRS little G with arrows). Do you get this? Also, can you browse the MDA's files through the Explore button in ActiveSync ... and therefore it says "Connected" and the ActiveSync's icon on your PC is Green?

From this state, as soon as I unplug the USB, the G-arrows icon starts up, plug it in and the ActiveSync icon shows up again.

Note: I only sync Contacts, Calendar, Notes, and Favorites ... I get email over POPs.

Also Note: My PC's internet connection is on a wired LAN to a router serving DHCP and DSL. Maybe someone can tell me how to check the IP address on the MDA for the NOT WiFi connections? ... I just looked at my router and the MDA is not listed in the DHCP client table so it must be that XP<->WM5 thing getting the MDA and IP address or NAT'ing or something ... ???

Terry.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm..

Only difference here.. was 'Open ActiveSync when device connects' was selected.

So i deselect that..

Plug in the VARIO.. and can not go to the internet or get email etc..

Granted i'm using pop.. no server.. I'm thinking in your Activesync setting on the MDA you might have a server listing..

Because it aint happening..

I unplug it.. (via usb) gprs back up.. can go to wireless g and everything works like a champ.

what gives.. :roll:

Guest TerryG
Hey TerryG, not a problem ;) I thought it was just basic knowledge to be quite honest... Seemed like common sense, heh.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, ergo my near closing comment:

"The seems almost trivial now that I understand it, but it was not clear at all to me at first, so I thought this would help someone else."

Regards,

Terry.

Guest TerryG
Hmmm..

Only difference here.. was 'Open ActiveSync when device connects' was selected.

So i deselect that..

Plug in the VARIO.. and can not go to the internet or get email etc..

Granted i'm using pop.. no server.. I'm thinking in your Activesync setting on the MDA you might have a server listing..

Because it aint happening..

I unplug it.. (via usb) gprs back up.. can go to wireless g and everything works like a champ.

what gives.. :roll:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, nothing under server source, don't have one.

Under Menu -> Connections I have When Cadled Synchronize all PZCs using this connection: checked and set to 'USB.

Under Settings -> Connections -> Tasks I have two: T-Mobile GPRS and My Work Network. Under Setup My Proxy Server, The GPRS has This Network Connects to the Internet checked; The My Work Network does NOT have this checked.

Under Settings -> Connections -> Advanced -> Select Networks Programs that automatically connect to the Internet should connect using: has T-Mobile GPRS selected in the pull down. Programs that automatically connect to a private network should connect using: Has My Work Network selected in the pull down.

Ah, I just looked at Properties under My Network Places on the PC and there is a Local Area Connection 5, Connected, Windows Mobile-based Device #3 connection there. Under its properties Client for MS Networks, File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) are there and all checked. Under TCP/IP properties, it's setup for DHCP. Under Client MS Networks -> Properties RPC Service shows Windows Locator under Name service provider. The Details shows the IP address is 169.254.2.2 SNM: 255.255.255.0 Assigned by DHCP

Under Advanced -> Windows Firewall -> Settings is turned off, but on didn't stop it from working.

There is also a Bluetooth Network Connection there but is Disconnected 'cause it's disconnected.

This is all I can think of to give you, I hope there's lead for you here, especially the Network Connection, do you have one? If not you may want to reinstall ActiveSync or see if you can set one up manually.

Good luck!

Terry.

Guest YoungHog
Nope, nothing under server source, don't have one.

Under Menu -> Connections I have When Cadled Synchronize all PZCs using this connection: checked and set to 'USB.

Under Settings -> Connections -> Tasks I have two: T-Mobile GPRS and My Work Network. Under Setup My Proxy Server, The GPRS has This Network Connects to the Internet checked; The My Work Network does NOT have this checked.

Under Settings -> Connections -> Advanced -> Select Networks Programs that automatically connect to the Internet should connect using: has T-Mobile GPRS selected in the pull down. Programs that automatically connect to a private network should connect using: Has My Work Network selected in the pull down.

Ah, I just looked at Properties under My Network Places on the PC and there is a Local Area Connection 5, Connected, Windows Mobile-based Device #3 connection there. Under its properties Client for MS Networks, File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) are there and all checked. Under TCP/IP properties, it's setup for DHCP. Under Client MS Networks -> Properties RPC Service shows Windows Locator under Name service provider. The Details shows the IP address is 169.254.2.2 SNM: 255.255.255.0 Assigned by DHCP

Under Advanced -> Windows Firewall -> Settings is turned off, but on didn't stop it from working.

There is also a Bluetooth Network Connection there but is Disconnected 'cause it's disconnected.

This is all I can think of to give you, I hope there's lead for you here, especially the Network Connection, do you have one? If not you may want to reinstall ActiveSync or see if you can set one up manually.

Good luck!

Terry.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brillant..

I think I see the problem... No time now as i'm about to run out..

1st I didn't know a LOCAL AREA CONNECTION ;) was created.. Great find..

2nd I'm usually using WI-FI with the unit if hot and then connecting to the usb. I'm certain dhcp will create a problem since that unit already has an IP address with the same nic id.. This might be the problem.

I'll advise on my success/failures.

thanks again

YoungHog

Guest YoungHog

TERRY

Can you supply all tab settings under

MY WORK NETWORK

I.E. GENERAL MODEM VPN PROXY SETTINGS

--

---

As I'm thinking you have something on one of those tabs.. That I don't.

pre-thanks

YH

Edited by YoungHog

Guest TerryG
TERRY

Can you supply all tab settings under

MY WORK NETWORK

I.E. GENERAL MODEM VPN PROXY SETTINGS

--

---

As I'm thinking you have something on one of those tabs.. That I don't.

pre-thanks

YH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

None. All blank. Don't have one set up. Under settings connctions it says "Add a VPN ...".

Guest YoungHog
None. All blank. Don't have one set up. Under settings connctions it says "Add a VPN ...".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Strange this is... :roll:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest YoungHog

Terryg

Here is an update.. Finally moved over to a new laptop..

After installing ActiveSync 4.1 I can surf / browse do anything via the usb on a hot activesync..

However I now ahve not been able to obtain an IP address via wifi on the same network.

Any ideas. :idea:

pre-thanks

YoungHog

Guest TerryG
Terryg

Here is an update.. Finally moved over to a new laptop..

After installing ActiveSync 4.1 I can surf / browse do anything via the usb on a hot activesync..

However I now ahve not been able to obtain an IP address via wifi on the same network.

Any ideas.  :idea:

pre-thanks

YoungHog

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Be sure you have your 802.11b/g set right. Safe bet is set your router to Mixed wireless mode. By default the T-Mobile is .11b, unless you do the update as herein prior.

Also, note redundantly, if USB is connected, WiFi won't do anything as USB will get the TCP/IP stack. I have had quirkiness with mine at first too ... had to reset once as WiFi wasn't locking in reliably.

FYI, I am playing with very similar device from Kinpo iDo called a Neon 601 ... I had to baseline it as well once 'cause WiFi would lock in.

Guest jimbouk

Just to add that if you have the latest device roms and use MS directpush to sync with an exchange server, the device will sometimes drop a wifi connection and use GPRS.

This is due to the heartbeat pulse that keeps the Https connection to the server only working over gprs and it reserving the IP stack.

It isn't a problem with USB activesync passthrough.

Guest YoungHog
Be sure you have your 802.11b/g set right. Safe bet is set your router to Mixed wireless mode. By default the T-Mobile is .11b, unless you do the update as herein prior.

Also, note redundantly, if USB is connected, WiFi won't do anything as USB will get the TCP/IP stack. I have had quirkiness with mine at first too ... had to reset once as WiFi wasn't locking in reliably.

FYI, I am playing with very similar device from Kinpo iDo called a Neon 601 ... I had to baseline it as well once 'cause WiFi would lock in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All good now.. Took me a while.. Finally off/on the wireless router and got a new frequency channel and it all works like a champ..

Not sure on that one..

But its all WORKING LIKE A CHAMP.. ;)

Just wish I could get email via GPRS .. that bites..

YoungHog

Just wish I could get email via GPRS .. that bites..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry if you've answered what I'm about to ask, but I lost you (or you lost me) a while back. However I think the "that bites" might be telling me this is a no-no...

I activesync (cradle) at work, one great benefit of this is Raspbery Software's True Connect to control my Vario. Earlier I received an MMS. The actual picture wouldn't download as I can't get an Internet connection via my work network (not sure why). Eventually I figure out what was happening, undocked my Vario and hit send/receive and it picked up a GPRS connection which downloaded the MMS attachment.

I'd also like to be able to pickup my IMAP email over GPRS whilst docked in my cradle and with activesync on. But can't for the above reason.

Finally, if I try and open PIE and connect to the web, the lack of Internet via work network shows itself with the error message:

"The page you are looking for cannot be found due to the unknown error 0x80070005"

Any thoughts?

• 1 year later...

Hey all,

im trying to get this working on my universal, i want to be able to charge via USB and use GPRS for email (POP).

I can get browsing but no POP email.

Has there been any development on this issue?