Viewing PC on TV

Guest w411y

Guest ElGato65
I'm a little confused, did you try your graphics card DVI out but have now reverted back to VGA? if you're still using the VGA but are plugging it into the HDMI or DVI socket on your TV you won't notice any difference between VGA from PC to VGA in on TV!

Edited by ElGato65

Guest ElGato65
VGA = Video Graphics Array = 640 X 480

SVGA = Super VGA = 800 X 600

XGA = eXtended Graphics Array = 1024 X 768

Or so I remember them - Just phound http://searchsmb.techtarget.com/sDefinitio...i211966,00.html and it goes into more detail.

Calling 1368 X 768 VGA is like calling an ADSL switch a modem (MoDulator - DEModulator -which is exactly what it doesn't do!)

Am I showing my age here....

I wasn't calling 1386x768 res. VGA. I merely stated I was using what is commonly known as a VGA cable connection from PC to TV.

If you want to split hairs, I'm also sure a switch is a switch, and an ADSL Modem is an ADSL Modem. Whether it modulates or demodulates is immaterial to the majority, as they are commonly known as Modems. You can how ever get ADSL Modems with in built switches, or is it the other way around?

Edited by ElGato65

Guest ElGato65
Any news on the result from disconnecting the VGA cable?

Yes, DVI now working properly. Really don't know why I didn't realise that before. It was only when talking about it on here that I remembered something I read a while back, that graphics cards will default to the first connector it "sees" and use that, so it was alwaya operating through the VGA port.

Although I could get a picture from the DVI at the same time it was not HD. How ever I must say that although the HD movies looked better, it wasn't by a fantastic amount, and at the sacrifice of a poorer windows desktop display, so I have switched back to the VGA cable where I get a spot on desktop and a hardly noticeable drop in quality when playing videos, HD or otherwise.

Edited by ElGato65

Guest Confucious

Try setting your card to 1280 X 720 and you should get a perfect desktop. The problem arises because you are using a differen resolution to the TV and it is having to adjuset.

HD TV is either 1280 720 or 1920 1080 interlaced - neither of which are standard PC resolutions due to the difference in screen shape. If your card supports either of these sizes DVI should be markedly better (Due to the fact that the signal doesn't have to be MODulated :) )

Guest ElGato65
Try setting your card to 1280 X 720 and you should get a perfect desktop. The problem arises because you are using a differen resolution to the TV and it is having to adjuset.

HD TV is either 1280 720 or 1920 1080 interlaced - neither of which are standard PC resolutions due to the difference in screen shape. If your card supports either of these sizes DVI should be markedly better (Due to the fact that the signal doesn't have to be MODulated :) )

Yeah, it's all down to 1:1 pixel mapping.

I tried a few diff. resolutions, including 1280 x 720, none of which made any difference to the quality of the desktop. To be honest I haven't been putting too much effort into it, I may have another go sometime, but as the picture quality of HD material wasn't a fantastic amount different over DVI than VGA, I may just stick with VGA. That way I get to use a nice 1368x768 screen res for desktop that looks picture perfect and the videos still look very good.

Guest pd.ryder

Thats it!!

You've all spurred me on. I've had an S-VHS output on my PC for years and never got round to using it.

Out with the cables (once the footie finishes :) )

Guest mike-oh

Ok, to possibly confuse matters further....

My PC is plugged into my TV from DVI out on graphics gard to DVI in on PC. Now on my TV i have to select the input i want to use. Aside from TV and DVD etc I also have HD and PC. I currently use PC. My graphics card is outputting a resolution of 1280x768 and the picture quality looks fab for movies, games, desktop, everything. I have not enabled the HDTV suppot on my graphics card.

If i did enable the HDTV support i then have to tell my TV to select the HD input. This results in poorer quality (resolution is 1280 x 720). Now i guess this is where the 1:1 pixel mapping comes in. The native resolution of my TV is 1280x768 so using a HD input of 1280x720 means a bit of fudging to get things to fit and therefore loss of quality.

Now the idea of using a DVI cable is that the signal transmitted is digital (correct me if i'm wrong) as opposed to the analogue signal down a VGA cable. Therefore the signal down the DVI cable is less prone to degradation and would result in better quality assuming the same resolutions.

Incidentally I have a VGA cable to another monitor but i have disabled that in my graphics card settings.