Cannot edit homescreen xml files on Q

Guest Andbrown

Guest Andbrown

I've always been able to edit the .xml files in the Application Data -> Home folder on previous Smartphones. However, with the Q, I cannot copy the .xml files back to the device after I'm finished editing on the desktop - I get an error indicating I don't have permissions to copy that file type. In fact, I cannot copy the .xml files to any folder on the device. I tested a .txt and .html file and those both copied just fine. Anyone know a way around this?

Guest scottb

Are you trying to copy them back with the same name? If so, change the names--don't foget to match the file names with the titles in the top of the xml document.

Guest Andbrown
Are you trying to copy them back with the same name? If so, change the names--don't foget to match the file names with the titles in the top of the xml document.

I actually tried copying the edited file while keeping the same name (i.e. replace) and then changing the file name to something unique. Both gave me the same error.

I am interested in what you mean by matching titles - when I open the XML file in Notepad, there is no TITLE element that I can see. The top few lines look like this (hope it comes through correctly):

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<home>

<author>DAT Group</author>

<contacturl>http://www.datgroup.com/</contacturl>

<title lang="0x0409">VZW Full layout</title>

Should I add a Title element if it isn't there?

The thing that keeps me scratching my head is that I get the same error when copying any of the XML homescreen files to any folder, not just Application Data. That's what's making me wonder if the Q is locked somehow by Verizon. Have you successfully edited a home screen file on your Q?

Guest pavankp
That's what's making me wonder if the Q is locked somehow by Verizon. Have you successfully edited a home screen file on your Q?

I don't have a Q, but this makes me wonder if it may have to do with application unlocking. What you need is probably a full application unlock by changing the security policies at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies. This may be useful: app-unlock guide. Worth a look, though it deals only with HTC devices.

Pavan

Guest scottb

@Andbrown,

The last line of the code snippet you included is the line I was refering to--it begins with the word "title".

Also, yes, I have created several homescreen xml file by copying the existing ones. Not sure why you can't do that. :?

Guest yoyop123
@Andbrown,

The last line of the code snippet you included is the line I was refering to--it begins with the word "title".

Also, yes, I have created several homescreen xml file by copying the existing ones. Not sure why you can't do that. :?

I am having the same problem with the Q. Those files are marked as system files and cannot be renamed/edited/deleted. Any ideas? I didn't want to change the security settings yet. Is that the only way?

Guest pavankp
I am having the same problem with the Q. Those files are marked as system files and cannot be renamed/edited/deleted. Any ideas? I didn't want to change the security settings yet. Is that the only way?

This is weird. So let me understand this a little more. You are copying a file called, let's say, full.home.xml from the phone to your PC, editing it and putting it back. Are you changing the file name along the way? If you renamed it on your PC to say full1.home.xml and copied it back (and also changed the title to something other than "Windows Default"), it still doesn't allow you to do that? Or are you editing the XML right on your phone using a text editor?

Pavan

Guest smeg36

I did the appunlock process listed above an have had no problem editing my homescreen xml files then copying them back. If I remember correctly, they wouldn't copy to the phone before I did the unlock reghack.

Guest scottb

Not sure what the problems are here. You should be able to copy anything to the \Application Data\Home folder. Are you sure that's where you're copying it to?

Guest yoyop123

OK, maybe I am misunderstanding. There is a vzw.full.home.xml in that directory, I cannot edit or copy a new one in there with the same name, probably due to the system attribute on it.

The question is if I make a new one called my.full.home.xml, and copy it in there, it will let me copy, but how do I tell the phone to use that new home xml file vs. the unmodified vzw.home.xml file?

Thanks!

Guest pavankp
OK, maybe I am misunderstanding. There is a vzw.full.home.xml in that directory, I cannot edit or copy a new one in there with the same name, probably due to the system attribute on it.

The question is if I make a new one called my.full.home.xml, and copy it in there, it will let me copy, but how do I tell the phone to use that new home xml file vs. the unmodified vzw.home.xml file?

Thanks!

I think it's a good idea to leave vzw.home in there, and keep your cusotmizations in your own files. If you want to use your file, you need to change the title (

tag) to something different. Then go to Settings -> Home Screen and the Home Screen Layout will now show as one of the options your new layout (what you put in the title tag).

Guest Andbrown
I don't have a Q, but this makes me wonder if it may have to do with application unlocking. What you need is probably a full application unlock by changing the security policies at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies. This may be useful: app-unlock guide. Worth a look, though it deals only with HTC devices.

This is what fixed it, thanks!

For the others having issues: apparently the default state on the Q as it ships from Verizon prevents you from copying XML files pretty much anywhere on your device (at least via desktop ActiveSync). Once you've hacked your registry to do a full app unlock, you can then copy XML files just fine.

Note that I did every reg change in that guide, so I'm not sure if there's one that was needed in particular.

Guest scottb
This is what fixed it, thanks!

For the others having issues: apparently the default state on the Q as it ships from Verizon prevents you from copying XML files pretty much anywhere on your device (at least via desktop ActiveSync). Once you've hacked your registry to do a full app unlock, you can then copy XML files just fine.

Note that I did every reg change in that guide, so I'm not sure if there's one that was needed in particular.

Wow! :) I have not had any problems copying xml files to and from my Q. I wonder what's up!?!

Guest pavankp
Wow! :) I have not had any problems copying xml files to and from my Q. I wonder what's up!?!

That's strange! If they really do mark the Home folder as read-only or system, that should have prevented you from doing it as well. Did you get an early version or something? May be your phone has an earlier ROM or something... worth checking out.

Guest scottb
That's strange! If they really do mark the Home folder as read-only or system, that should have prevented you from doing it as well. Did you get an early version or something? May be your phone has an earlier ROM or something... worth checking out.

Maybe it has something to do with my using Smart Explorer instead of the built-in File Manager. Can't think of what else it could be.

Guest nimiaj
I've always been able to edit the .xml files in the Application Data -> Home folder on previous Smartphones. However, with the Q, I cannot copy the .xml files back to the device after I'm finished editing on the desktop - I get an error indicating I don't have permissions to copy that file type. In fact, I cannot copy the .xml files to any folder on the device. I tested a .txt and .html file and those both copied just fine. Anyone know a way around this?

I faced the same problem!!! The solution is to edit the file and "Save As" a different name. Delete the original file on your pc and rename the modified file to the actual name. Copy the file to some temp folder on the phone and then use File Manager to move it to the Application Data\Home folder.

Guest redbluff

I am having trouble with XML files altogether. I have downloaded some files and then copy them over to the Q application/home directory. One is a setup.xml file and a couple of jpg's. If I go to the xm file on the Q and run it I get the script. What am I doing worng?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nickcornaglia

Why are you copying a setup.xml file to the application/home directory? The only files you should be manually placing there are xxx.home.xml files and supporting JPGs GIFs and BMPs.

Sounds like you opened up a cab file and copies it's contents to the folder. That is not the way cabs are used.

Even though WinRAR and other compression apps will open a cab file, it's intention is to be self extracted on the phone itself.

Copy the cab file to your storage card instead and click on it via file explorer. It will then launch the installation dialouge and install the app or homescreen.

Guest prk72
I actually tried copying the edited file while keeping the same name (i.e. replace) and then changing the file name to something unique. Both gave me the same error.

I am interested in what you mean by matching titles - when I open the XML file in Notepad, there is no TITLE element that I can see. The top few lines look like this (hope it comes through correctly):

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<home>

The thing that keeps me scratching my head is that I get the same error when copying any of the XML homescreen files to any folder, not just Application Data. That's what's making me wonder if the Q is locked somehow by Verizon. Have you successfully edited a home screen file on your Q?

What I do is the following: Copy homescreen file from Q to my Desktop, open up the XML file and copy all code, paste code in a new TXT document, change the title and save as 'myhomescreen.xml'. I then change the XML code to my preference and after that copy back to the Q. I have done it many, many times.

Hope this helps.

What are you doing that is different?

Edited by prk72

Guest nickcornaglia

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<home>

The title element IS there....in the last line of the code you show as an example.

The Title is what is shown on the phone when selecting a homescreen. This can be a duplication of a differnet name...but that would make it difficult to choose the correct file wouldnt it. (eg. if you had three homescreens named "VZW Full Layout"

The filename, as in all filenames in the same directory, must be unique.

If the original filename is VZWFull.home.xml

then just copy the file to the desktop...Rename it VZWFull2.home.xml or whatever then edit that file and return it to the phone.

Again, I'd recommend changing the TITLE Attribute within the XML file so you know which is which.

Guest nickcornaglia

Also...if you are copying a file to your desktop, make sure you change the attributes to not be read-only. You can do this by right clicking the file on your desktop, clicking properties, the un-checking read-only.

Change your file as you wish...then you should be able to add it back to the phone.