Qtek 8500 and Goodlink

Guest kaschool

Guest kaschool

Hi

Has anyone managed to get Goodlink 8.4.1 installed on the Qtek 8500?

I have been using Goodlink and a Treo 650 for the last 2 years. I moved to a Qtek 8500 and had my company re-activate my goodlink account so I could install onto the Qtek. The installation runs smoothly but when i launch goodlink it presents a white screen with a message

Hi

Has anyone managed to get Goodlink 8.4.1 installed on the Qtek 8500?

I have been using Goodlink and a Treo 650 for the last 2 years. I moved to a Qtek 8500 and had my company re-activate my goodlink account so I could install onto the Qtek. The installation runs smoothly but when i launch goodlink it presents a white screen with a message

Guest kamarge
I just installed Goodlink on mine as well. Where are you trying to install Goodlink from? When I originally tried to do this I tried an OTA install from http://get.good.com and then moved the OTA installer to the SD card and ran it from there. It looked like it was working until the end, and then I got the same "Place in the cradle..." message.

I ended up having to hard reset and then reinstall everything from the phone itself (don't move anything to the SD card even if it appears to work). However, because of the lack of memory, I had to do a little "surgery" to the OS to free up just enough space to install Goodlink and then put the files back afterward. After this, the message at the end should say something like "Device needs to be uncradled..." or something like that and you know it is working.

What kind of "surgery" did you do? I'm in the same situation, trying to install goodlink and finding it very hard to find the 12meg or so it wants to install.

After the install does some of the space free up again?

Guest kaschool

This is great, first time I've used one of these forums and already it's picking up traction on my issue.

Like Pinoymutt, can you clarify what Surgery you did to free up enough space?? I have tried deleting as many files as possible but still not quite enough space. Think I need to free an extra 2.5MB or so.

Please please let us know what you managed to delete to have enough space.

I had a feeling it was a storage issue all along.

Cheers

Rich

Guest kaschool

Just managed to perform the "surgery" and clear enough space to run it from the device. However, i'm faced with the same issue, "place in cradle and run setup..... blah blah blah"

What can this be? How come you were able to run the install and complete it succesfully? Ahhhhhhh help.....

Rich

Here's what I did step by step (since we upgraded to Goodlink 4.9 yesterday I had to do it quite a few times...)

Please mind you this is on a Imate ROM, but I believe the steps are pretty much the same for the Qtek ROM (perhaps not Dopod though)...

1. Hard Reset (make sure every piece of memory was free)

2. Set up GPRS connections

3. Application unlock the phone (important for moving certain files) - check out step 1 of the following post if you need help with this: http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=235408

4. Connect USB and ActiveSync for the first time (uncheck everything - you don't want to lost valuable space)

5. I created a folder on my desktop and named it Phone Backup

6. In Windows turn on the options for Viewing Hidden Files and Don't Hide Protected System Files (there are a couple of hidden ones on here)

7. I cut and pasted the following files and directories from the phone into the Phone Backup folder to free space on the phone:

- Everything in the My Documents folder: Including all the sounds, My Pictures, Templates (and subfolders), and UAContents

- In the Application Data folder: All home screens except Simple (make sure to change to that one first); and the \Tao folder (there is a larger zip file in a subfolder called rofs_target.zip)

- In the Windows\Start Menu folder: Pretty much cut and paste all shortcuts except for vital ones such as IE, Settings, and File Manager

It's important to make sure you got every sub folder before deleting off of the phone as sometimes folders copy but don't bring their contents - in this case just do it manually.

8. There should now be enough space ~12MB to install Goodlink. I navigated on the phone to http://get.good.com from my phone and did the OTA install.

9. When the entire process was complete, I moved everything back from my desktop onto the phone (as I mentioned make sure to double check every sub folder and move manually if needed).

10. When everything is done you can also remove OTA Setup from the REMOVE PROGRAMS menu on the phone as you won't need this anymore.

I did this trial and error so many times, as it took forever to find just enough space to do this because most files are protected on the phone and won't let you move/delete them....

I hope this helps!

Guest kamarge

I did almost exactly the same as pinoymutt to get Goodlink installed - seems to be working ok.

Few strange things I noticed:

-I guess when you close the flip on the phone it simulates pressing the "Home" button, Goodlink creates a shortcut so when you press "Home" twice it takes you to the Goodlink Launcher, so if you are on the home screen and close the flip, then re-open it will be on the Good Launcher - if you close and open again, it will be back to the Home screen. Not a big deal but would be nice to switch this off.

-Photos/images for my contacts dont appear to come up now when someone calls (?) at least on the external display

-I turned off the Goodlink phone book app (you cant appear to set a default phone number for each contact with the goodlink one?) - it seems when I scroll through the contacts now with the original WM5 phonebook the left softkey reads "save" rather than "call" or "sms" etc. (or am i just imagining that it used so say those?)

Other things I dont like about Goodlink for WM5 Smartphone (this is my first time using it):

-The calendar doesnt have a weekly/monthly view

-The email acounter on the main screen only shows "inbox" unread which is kind of useless if you use a lot of folders

-same thing with alerts, you can only set them specific for "inbox" or "other folders"

-No external screen notifications (ok this is because they havent made a Qtek 8500 version yet)

Anyone else using Goodlink + Qtek 8500 have comments on the above?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ratnow

[8. There should now be enough space ~12MB to install Goodlink. I navigated on the phone to http://get.good.com from my phone and did the OTA install.

This is GREAT info....thanks. I am having trouble with the OTA running. I can enter my email address, but in teh part of the screen that asks for PIN, the keyboard only acts numeric. Multiple pushes, pushing * or # first or simultaneously, menu items.....all don't show how to enter alpha characters.

Anyone else face this? Help?

Jon

Guest kamarge
[8. There should now be enough space ~12MB to install Goodlink. I navigated on the phone to http://get.good.com from my phone and did the OTA install.

This is GREAT info....thanks. I am having trouble with the OTA running. I can enter my email address, but in teh part of the screen that asks for PIN, the keyboard only acts numeric. Multiple pushes, pushing * or # first or simultaneously, menu items.....all don't show how to enter alpha characters.

Anyone else face this? Help?

Jon

Yes its supposed to only be numeric - the welcome email you received should have both the alpha code (for pocket pc's and devices with keyboards) and the numeric code (for phones with 12-key number pads such as the qtek 8500). Check the email again for the numeric code or ask your goodlink support folks for it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest theslayer82

This post has been really helpful although I had to remove a few more items in order to free up the space needed (I have the Dopod S300). So now I was able to get GoodLink installed however I have very little space available on my main memory as it installs to the memory on the phone and not my storage card. I receive alerts every now and then telling me to free up space and once Good has launched I am unable to view my start menu to perform any other phone operations. I'm assuming this is attributed to the fact I do not have a lot of memory available (less than .5mb). Any ideas/suggestions? I have ALL of my apps besides GoodLink installed on my storage card. Thanks in advance.

• 11 months later...
Guest bluecookie
Here's what I did step by step (since we upgraded to Goodlink 4.9 yesterday I had to do it quite a few times...)

Please mind you this is on a Imate ROM, but I believe the steps are pretty much the same for the Qtek ROM (perhaps not Dopod though)...

3. Application unlock the phone (important for moving certain files) - check out step 1 of the following post if you need help with this: http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=235408

4. Connect USB and ActiveSync for the first time (uncheck everything - you don't want to lost valuable space)

6. In Windows turn on the options for Viewing Hidden Files and Don't Hide Protected System Files (there are a couple of hidden ones on here)

7. I cut and pasted the following files and directories from the phone into the Phone Backup folder to free space on the phone:

- Everything in the My Documents folder: Including all the sounds, My Pictures, Templates (and subfolders), and UAContents

- In the Application Data folder: All home screens except Simple (make sure to change to that one first); and the \Tao folder (there is a larger zip file in a subfolder called rofs_target.zip)

- In the Windows\Start Menu folder: Pretty much cut and paste all shortcuts except for vital ones such as IE, Settings, and File Manager

It's important to make sure you got every sub folder before deleting off of the phone as sometimes folders copy but don't bring their contents - in this case just do it manually.

8. There should now be enough space ~12MB to install Goodlink. I navigated on the phone to http://get.good.com from my phone and did the OTA install.

9. When the entire process was complete, I moved everything back from my desktop onto the phone (as I mentioned make sure to double check every sub folder and move manually if needed).

10. When everything is done you can also remove OTA Setup from the REMOVE PROGRAMS menu on the phone as you won't need this anymore.

I did this trial and error so many times, as it took forever to find just enough space to do this because most files are protected on the phone and won't let you move/delete them....

I hope this helps!

Hi there,

I've tried to run regedit and I got message saying that the installation file is not intended for this device ....any ideas??

I desperately need to install Goodlink :)

Thanks

Guest bluecookie

I hope this helps!

Hi there,

I've tried to run regedit and I got message saying that the installation file is not intended for this device ....any ideas??

I desperately need to install Goodlink :)

Thanks