New FREE Utility - NoData

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest danny144

hiyyyy plzzz cud u tell me if this works on a htc vox cos i got the phone yesterday nad i really dont want to mess it up if it dusnt work

many thanks

danny

Guest Paul (MVP)

In case anyone wants the REALLY quick n simple n dirty VB.net source code for this, here it is.

Requirements are obviously VS 2005, WM5 PPC SDK and the free edition of the inthehand.com libraries (for registry access).

Enjoy ;)

P

NoData.zip

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SinnedSkin

Any hope of this working on the Dash in the future? It looks like a wonderful application, it just wont run on my Dash. I've read previous posts, and some users are coming up with the same problem. I assume it's just not Dash-compatible. Looking forward to seeing something like this in the future for the Dash!

I am having the same issue.

When installing it asks for location then keeps the Hrs spiral and will not complete its install.

When I shutdown and restart the icon is there but I get the error.

This is on the Orange network!

Any suggestions

Ta Alan

Hi guys,

New on this forum. Got here because I was looking for an App which could do exactly this.

Only problem is that I get the same error described above.

I checked and my connections ; -- there, so I don't know what else can be done.

I installed it on a Samsung I620 from Vodafone (Italy).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Guest Everton1878

Generall seems to work ok for me, disabled everything and then tried things like POP mail retreival and internet browsing and it couldn't as the connections were disabled ;)

Unfortunately, one of the connections has re-enabled itself overnight on 2 occassions and downloaded my POP mail :wub:

Still on O2 atm awaiting switch over to Voda

Just taken off my POP email accounts as I think somehow the send/receive schedule is enabling the connection

Will just use the mobile internet sites to view and mail as I'm usually not out and about needing to check them

Have WiFi at home and work and my laptop with me to check and download email

May end up having to get a data bolt on with Voda for £7.50 per month for piece of mind but puts monthly bill up £42.50!!

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Guest wavester
I think I had the same problem. My problem was that the my network settings hadn't been configured yet. First use the network wizard to configure your connection(s), then run NoData (when there are no connections to be toggled, you get the error). Works fine on my HTC Touch WM6 now.

I, as well, am getting this same error message with nodata. Where is this network wizard in WM6? I have tried deleting my gprs settings, adding one, and later another, but still have been unable to get my GPRS settings to work, meaning I have been keeping my phone on off as 3mb data roaming in Brazil = 50 euros.... so I desperatly need some way to close data connection for all but the WIFI.

using a htc s710, wm6

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NuShrike

How about this.. add a proxy named 127.0.0.1:65000 (or any other unused port) to your Data Connection when you want it off?

It'll try to connect, fail the proxy connect, and data connection never establishes?

Edited by NuShrike

Guest JaS_ffm

Hey Paul,

I just wanted to thank you for that great, nice, easy-to-use tool which made me really happy! I was looking for the ability to turn off that damn gprs for a while.

Thanks again

bye JaS

On my HTC S710 (WM6) the program generates an error.

I'm leaving tomorrow for some roaming countries and are desparate to disable GPRS.

Anybody an idea which register value to edit to stop GPRS?

Or should I delete my internet profile and by that disable GPRS?

Guest Nick (Addick)
The application interrogates the registry to list the connections, then toggles the 'enabled' value on the connection between 1 and 0.

If it is set to 0, the device does not try to connect it.

With regards to the timed sync, I think it will just 'not happen' (that seems to be the case with DirectPush too). Only one way to find out tho eh?

:wub:

P

;) Hello Paul, I have been looking for a little utility like this and just installed it on my HTC S620 (WM 5.0). I get an error message when I try to run it - an unexpected error in NoData.exe. There are several detail lines that start with "NotSupportedException". Any ideas? Maybe it does not work with WM 5.0? BTW I am relatively untechie.

Nick

Quick, handy little application i've rustled up as i'm off abroad for a few days soon, and don't want to run up a huge GPRS bill.

It lists your GPRS connections, and allows you to disable them so that they won't be used.

Disable your connections before you leave, re-enable them when you return - piece of cake with MoDaCo NoData ;)

P

Hi Paul

Excuse my ignorance (fairly new to Modaco).

Will the above application work on an XDA Orbit with WM6 (Windows Mobile 6).

Thanks again for the post.

Shaun

Guest Pasukin

Hello,

The NoData app doesn't seem to effect the connection that Blackberry Connect uses on the AT&T Tilt.

Even after setting it to disabled, the Blackberry Connect software is able to make a GPRS/3G connection to the "Blackberry" data network that is configured on a stock AT&T Tilt. Here are some of the methods that I've tried:

• Disconnected from the Blackberry network
    • Used NoData to toggle the "Blackberry" connection to DISABLED
    • Watched as Blackberry Connect successfully connected to the "Blackberry" network

[*]

• Opened Blackberry Connect
  • Clicked on Suspend to shutdown the service
  • Tried to use NoData to toggle the "Blackberry" connection to DISABLED, but it was no longer listed

• Opened Blackberry Connect
    • Clicked Resume to enable the service
    • Enabled Flight Mode, disabling all radios on my phone
    • Used NoData to toggle the "Blackberry" connection to DISABLED
    • Disabled Flight Mode, enabling all radios on my phone
    • Watched as Blackberry Connect successfully connected to the "Blackberry" network

So, it seems that Blackberry Connect doesn't care what the Enabled/Disabled status of the connection is set to. It just enables it and reconnects as needed.

NoData does appear to work for the regular data network (AT&T's "MEdia Net"). With it disabled, Pocket IE is unable to initiate a data connection when I try to load a web page.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Guest rashdalanizahra
Quick, handy little application i've rustled up as i'm off abroad for a few days soon, and don't want to run up a huge GPRS bill.

It lists your GPRS connections, and allows you to disable them so that they won't be used.

Disable your connections before you leave, re-enable them when you return - piece of cake with MoDaCo NoData ;)

P

Hi there,

I'm sorry maybe I'm technologically impaired but I can't seem to get the application to work

what do I need to do?

thanks

Guest rashdalanizahra
Man that is EXACTLY what i was looking for

Out of interest How does it actually do this. does it change the connect settings so it the connection eg t-mobile internet dials a non existant connection and then when toggled back changes it back to the original??

either way brilliant thanks very much for this.

Out of interest if no data is enabled and im on holiday abroad. but have the phone on to recieve calls and texts. will pocket outlook which i have 3 email accounts set up on come up with error messages every 15 mins (the refresh time of my email accounts)

i hope not

JEREMY

I can't get it to work! what am I supposed to do?

thanks

Paul - this is a great utility!! Works fine on my Sprint HTC Mogul to disconnect attempts to use PCS Vision services.

Got a message from WM6 warning that it may not display properly, but there's no display problem.

Thanks for eliminating another headache from my life!!!

Alan

Guest katmeef
GPRS / EDGE / 3G are all the same really.

Mine survives soft reset... which device eddie2k2?

P

Mine also does not survive soft reset. It's PPC 6800. any ideas?

Guest Neil5459
Hi Paul

Excuse my ignorance (fairly new to Modaco).

Will the above application work on an XDA Orbit with WM6 (Windows Mobile 6).

Thanks again for the post.

Shaun

A little late, but, YES it should work on any WM5 or WM6 device

Guest katmeef
Mine also does not survive soft reset. It's PPC 6800. any ideas?

I believe that spbservices.exe is causing the radio to re-enable on softboot, as once I removed it from \windows\startup, the behaviour stops. Sorry if I had wasted anyones time.

Meef

mine doesn't survive the soft reset, I have to disable the GPRS again.

This program worked a treat, i tried it out before and nothing updated... i switched it on and when i landed in France i was shocked to find out that they charge £7.50 per Mb... i was playing with yahoo maps of paris before i left and that took me to 1.15Mb... i would have ended up paying a small fortune ;) i think they have lost the point as they said you can send a text for 40p and a picture message for 20p so i sent picture messages with some text at the bottom :(

Guest OzButcher

This is a great little util!! I used it on my HTC Touch and it worked very well on the original rom!

I changed the rom yesterday though and for some reason after I reinstalled NoData it does not list all the gprs options as before. I can only disable 2xVodafone options (MMS and Internet) which still allows my htc to connect via gprs to download stuff.

Any idea where the other gprs options went which I was able to disable before?

cheers ;)

It shows the same on my Kiaser phone. If you run the program, you need to select the 1st option click on the toggle and this will then turn the net off, then do the same for the MMS but remember to make sure the Data is diconnected...

worked a treat for me ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AlistairCohen

P

Hey Paul,

As you yourself have a WM6 smartphone, could you recommend a program that serves the same purpose that can be used in a WM6 smartphone? I'm using a Motorola Q9h from Vodafone in Australia.

Regards,

Alistair

Edited by AlistairCohen

Guest The_Chef

Thanks very much for this!!

As most of you know, Windows Live Messenger on Windows Mobile 6 (and I heard WM6 in general) searches for a GPRS connection, even when connected to WiFi ;)

So this is great in order to run it.

Although when I don't have free access to WiFi, WLM doesn't sign in on my GPRS.. the ports seem blocked on my GPRS data plans (anyone know what ports it uses?). I have to use mig33, eMSN, TipicME or other Java MSN clients which use proxies. However they disconnect way too often compared to WLM.

Guest anatmavada

Disable your connections before you leave, re-enable them when you return - piece of cake with MoDaCo NoData :(

P

Thanks for the good Tool and the sweet you put in all your CAB till thei work