IP address, for Pocket PC Web server

Guest FlangeArtist

Guest FlangeArtist

I'm working on writing a Mobile Web Server for my MDA Vario 2, Pocket PC Smartphone. I've got the basics all working fine, and working well when I connect via Active-Sync. However, I really want to be able to connect to the 'Mobile Web Server' via the Internet, but can't figure out what the IP address is of the phone! Could someone help me out on this one, as I think I'm either being dumb, or just missing out something obvious!

I open up my HSDPA connection, and surf to www.whatsmyipaddress.com and get the IP address of what it thinks is the phone. But that doesn't work. It could be because T-Mobile implement the HSDPA connections via NAT.

Don't want to spend more time on writing a Mobile Phone Web Server, if people can't access it via the general Internet!

Something I'm going to add in, is the ability for a user to be able to 'Nudge' the Web Server (vibrate the phone), so as to alert the owner. The owner would then take a photo, and the photo would be placed on the 'Nudge' page. It would be nice to automatically take the photo and make it available, but my phone spends most of the time in my pocket :-)

Another service I want to try and add in is the ability for users to update their details that I hold for them in my Contacts via the Web site. Obviously this would require some kind of security and authentication in place.

Suggestions of additional functionality to add should be appreciated...(provided I get around the IP address problem).

Guest FlangeArtist
Have you seen this post about pocketHPH?

I tried this and got the same problem in that although I could get my ip address I could not contact the server on my phone.

Not sure what the problem is though.

No I did not know about pocketPHP. However, my Mobile Web Server is written using the .NET Compact Framework, and is written in C#.NET and provides the user with the ability to develop Compact ASPX (ASPC) code.

I just can't get around the external IP address problem though. I can user PIE (Pocket Internet Explorer) and browse to http://localhost/ and get my Mobile Web Browser. Just can't get to it from the Internet!

Anyone out there able to help with TCPIP and IP addresses for mobile phones?

Guest FlangeArtist
Thanks, will give it a go. Tried to download from Company network, can't get the FTP. Will try when I finnally manage to get home tonight!

Well got it installed, and got lot's of 'Info', but still can't get connected!

It says that my Current IP (cellular line IP): 10.33.229.225. Still can't connect via an Internet browser. Just doesn't seem to want to play ball!

Guest jimbouk

Sounds like that is an internal IP address within your network and thus it is the same as NAT.

IE The network's server translates the IP address between its onw internal network (with IP address starting with 10.) and the WEB.

I don't know much about what you are doing, but could you use an Http connection between your WM server and a server on the web?