m600 no longer recognised as usb device by pc

Guest dr_nick

Guest dr_nick

in the last week or so, whenever i plug my m600 into the desktop cradle, there is a short delay and then a bubble comes up on the xp taskbar saying "usb device not recognised" (paraphrased). :D

i am sure it did this before one time, but a soft reset and/or restart of the pc was all that was required.

obviously i have tried this, but with no success...

is this the phone finally exerting symptoms from my usb port breakage on day one (the little grey bit of plastic separating the metal prongs broke and fell out)? i did also recently manage to bend the unprotected prongs by trying to insert my car stereo audio adapter into the wrong hole, in the dark, with one hand and without looking (whilst driving :)), but thought i had managed to refashion the prongs with a scalpel blade!)

the device continues to charge with both the mains adapter and the desktop cradle set to C mode (dont recall if it charges from USB - and i'm not at home now...)

do i need to get my phone replaced on orange care? (i would really rather avoid this as have only just got it all set up how i like it and dont wanna go through the whole process all over again...)

thanks in advance (again)

dr_nick

Edited by dr_nick

Guest Confucious

After it says that does it then go on and recognise it anyway? XP has a habit of doing that. It is almost certainly an XP problem not a problem with the phone.

Guest dr_nick
After it says that does it then go on and recognise it anyway? XP has a habit of doing that. It is almost certainly an XP problem not a problem with the phone.

nope - the bubble stays and it is simply not recognised. :D

haven't synced for ages so my outlook appointments are way out of date. :P

will try and sync by BT/WIFI and then get a replacement i think...

looking at the mini-USB pins, with the screen up and battery cover down, the last pin on the right looks slightly bent... anyone with the wiring knowledge know if this would affect synch but not the charging?

... :)

Guest Honest John

Two suggestions as this has happened to me before with Smartphones and PDAs.

1. Try a different USB port if you have one.

2. Remove the connection from the Active Sync devices and then let it remake it from acratch - 2 minute job.

This may work and both are worth trying.

Guest dr_nick

thanks, i will try!

but i dont understand why xp would suddenly lose the driviers for a connection that has been working without problem for ages! (but then this is MS we're talking about, right?! :))

teehee

dr_nick

Guest dr_nick

i have nopw tried the above suggestions and no help. :)

is plugged into a new usb port

have deleted the pairing with activesync (am sure that will take me more than 2mins to reconfigure!)

looked in device manager - is an "unknown usb device" - tried updating and deleting neither of which cured the problem (when it reinstalled it said "usb device now installed and working" followed by the "its completely f@@ked" bubble i mentioned before...

and still no connectivity - can't even browse the device (so don't know how to install this HTC USB switch cab thing...

aaaargh!

dr_nick

Sorry I posted from my wrong account earlier (Chisel). didn't realise I had it.

Yes, if you can't connect with activsync that is going to be a problem getting the .CAB file on there.

Once connected to the cable and charging, does its show up in file explorer as an extra drive/device?

You could then install the .CAB (drag and drop it onto the device and open on the M600).

Not saying that will solve it as I don't know but I had to use it in the past.

Guest dr_nick

the bubble comes up saying there is a fault with a usb device. it does not appear in my computer, activesync does not connect, and though the orange light does come on, it does not appear to charge.

:)

maybe i could download the .cab over wifi from my network files, or directly to m600...

but i'm not conviced this will solve the problem since my computer wont recognise the device at all

:D

Guest dr_nick

went to device manager and it seems that the drivers are no longer installed...

but when you try and re-install them it says there aren't any better available.

put the original cd back in and it says "welcome back", so doesn't let you start from scratch! uninstalled activesync and reinstalled, but this did not fix the problem.

i now need to know how to reinstall the drivers from the cd - couldnt find the right files on rudimentary searching...

this is REALLY p@ssing me off now - the ppc isn't that much use to me if i cannot sync with outlook/transfer any files from my pc. grr

any more clues people?

Guest dr_nick

i have tried everything i and you can think of and am still stumped (as, it seems, are you guys)!

so i have given up - i called orange. i eventually got put through to level 2 data services (calls about activesync probs cannot b dealt with by mere mortals you understand!) and guess what - he got me to do AGAIN all the stuff we (between us) have already tried and, surprise surprise, none of it worked.

we came to the conclusion that it may, after all, be a problem with the usb prongs having been bent out of shape and decided a replacement was in order...

so i have another arriving tomorrow! at 15quid and an awful lot of faff with reconfiguring, i'm gonna be mightily peeved if that one doesnt work too...

now i need to backup somehow now...

dr_nick

Guest dr_nick

my new phone arrived and works fine

so it was a problem with the pins after all!

(massive job to get it running how i like though...

thanks to all

n