MDACIII taking long time to get first fix

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Has anyone else noticed that the MDACIII takes an outrageously long time to get a first fix?

Well here's something interesting... I reflashed the missus' MDACIII using the latest Dopod ROM (which is great anyway), after using imei-check's SIM / CID unlocker.

After doing so, in testing so far, it gets it's first fix a LOT faster!

I'll test more over the next few days, but this could suggest a problem in the T-Mo ROM?

P

Guest Killian

I've had no problem getting a fix on mine and haven't installed any updates either.

It even gets a fix when I'm indoors sometimes too :) Probably averages at about 5 - 10 seconds to get one. Not sure if thats good but its about the time it takes me to get comfortable ready for a long drive.

Guest spangelsaregreat
I've had no problem getting a fix on mine and haven't installed any updates either.

It even gets a fix when I'm indoors sometimes too :) Probably averages at about 5 - 10 seconds to get one. Not sure if thats good but its about the time it takes me to get comfortable ready for a long drive.

Hi,

No probs here either. Usually start Tom Tom after putting the phone in its cradle in the car. By the time I have pulled out of the drive it has a fix.

Also, out and about it gets very strong signal in most circumstances and I have not lost signal in town yet.

I can also get a fix inside some buildings even.

Regards

• 2 months later...
Guest fallwood

Mine also takes a very long time to get a fix. I started tomtom the other day whilst in my mates car (as a passenger) , we were about 20 miles outside of leeds on the m1 when I started it and it didnt manage to get a fix untill we were leaving the motorway near the ciy center. If I start tomtom when stationary it will get a fix within 2 or 3 minutes but on the move it just doesnt seem to be able to lock on, all the sats are visible in the gps config screen but they are all grey. Never had this problem with my old bluetooth receiver.

• 3 months later...
Guest Roman5

Hi. I use tom tom navigator 6. My MDAClll is taking a very long time to get a signal. It always takes around 2 minutes when in the car. However, last night, I was in someone elses car, and the driver was using a different sat nav software on a different pda. She got her signal within 30 seconds while on the move as we were driving home. Mine didn't get a signal for the whole 2 hour journey, it didn't get one satellite. But it did get a signal earlier on the way there. I even downloaded quick gps which made no difference, and I also did a soft reset.

Sitting in my car today, it did get a signal after a few minutes.

What would be the solution? A hard reset, or try out paul's suggestion? : "I reflashed the missus' MDACIII using the latest Dopod ROM (which is great anyway), after using imei-check's SIM / CID unlocker." I don't know what dopod ROM is, or what imeicheck's SIM/CID unlocker is, where to get them and how to install/flash. Any help would be appreciated! I should be getting a lock on in less than a minute shouldn't I? My baud rate is set to 9600 and port com4. 4800 doesn't seem to make much difference.

Edited by Roman5

Guest Killian

Do any of you guys use the QuickGPS program that comes with Tmob? I get a message telling me to update it every so often, dont know what effect it has but I get a fix in a matter of seconds, 10 tops.