Eten X500 / M700 doesn't work with T-Mo GPRS?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

I can't really believe i'm writing this... but would I be right in saying the X500 and M700 don't work with T-Mobile GPRS?

I have one of each unit, and neither will 'attach' to T-Mobile GPRS, and therefore can't connect.

It seems to be the case it simply doesn't work :) I'm mailed Eten and will see what they say, but it seems incredible these devices could ship with such an issue?

P

i purchased my x500 3 weeks ago, supposedly simfree to use on any network, im gutted, im on t mobile uk with a web n walk package that at the moment is totally useless. i have also emailed eten but as of the present have received no reply. what i find incredible is that of all the uk reatilers selling the x500 only one seems to mention the t mobile uk gprs isssue so that prospective buyers are aware of the problem. paul i hope you get more response to your email than i have mine, can you post any reply here , thanks

Craig

• 3 months later...
Guest flykiwi

I'm also in the US - received my new M700 today and it won't connect to T-Mobile either so it seems to be an issue with their network in both regions.

I noted previous poster had mentioned getting theirs to work over here but I'm not sure what device they are using or how they have managed that - would be interested in finding out.

Guest JulianL

Uurgh. This is terrible. I was all set to get an X500 but for me this is just a total show-stopper. Unless you go 3G (and the X500 isn't 3G of course) then the only UK network with an affordable unlimited use internet plan is T-Mobile so, if I can't get onto the T-Mobile network, then most of the point of having the device goes away for me.

Any update on this? Are E-Ten still maintaning their undignified silence on this matter?

- Julian

Guest Paul (MVP)

I now have a working update that lets me use T-Mobile GPRS on the X500, and Eten are working to fix the last few issues before issuing a patch.

I won't rest until it's sorted :rolleyes:

P

Guest JulianL
I now have a working update that lets me use T-Mobile GPRS on the X500, and Eten are working to fix the last few issues before issuing a patch.

I won't rest until it's sorted :rolleyes:

P

Wow. That is great news. Thank you for all your efforts to make E-Ten see the light. You've probably just directly made them another sale here in the UK. They should give you commission.

I bought by Sony Clie TH-55 3 years ago as a birthday present to myself and I've finally decided that maybe smartphones are good enough to replace, after a total of 9 years of avid use, by beloved PDA. Hopefully they can get the T-Mobile patch out in time for June 11th, in which case I think I know what this year's present to myself is going to be.

What are the remaining issues? How widely deployed is EDGE on the T-Mobile network? What sort of download speeds do you get and is it fairly acceptable for browsing mobile-optimised sites?

- Julian

Guest Paul (MVP)

EDGE isn't deployed at all on T-Mobile UK AFAIK. To be honest, if you're just browsing mobile optimised sites / doing push email, I am of the opinion GPRS is fine. If you're surfing sites with fat graphics content, then you are of course going to benefit from a faster connection.

Are you sure you want a X500 when the X500+ is around the corner? If so, I imagine once the X500+ hits the streets, it'll push the price of the X500 down.

P

Guest JulianL
EDGE isn't deployed at all on T-Mobile UK AFAIK. To be honest, if you're just browsing mobile optimised sites / doing push email, I am of the opinion GPRS is fine. If you're surfing sites with fat graphics content, then you are of course going to benefit from a faster connection.

Are you sure you want a X500 when the X500+ is around the corner? If so, I imagine once the X500+ hits the streets, it'll push the price of the X500 down.

P

Thanks for that. I'm showing my ignorance there re EDGE but at least now I know. I think my use will almost entirely be to get to my Google Email, which does have mobile-optimised stuff for at least the email although I also tend to keep key spreadsheets and word documents within Google too so that might be a bit more bandwidth-intensive (but then again, maybe not). I suspect my other main web use would be the occassional visit to Wikipedia, mostly to settle pub arguments! Out of interest though, do you have any feel for what sort of download rates do you typically see on T-Mobile GPRS?

Re your second question, it's the battery life that really scares me about the X500+ (that's the one that was renamed the X800 isn't it)? I see in your reply to my post in the beginners forum (thanks for that) that you should be getting yours next week so I'll be really (really, really) interested to hear your experiences with that, particularly with respect to battery life. You spooked me a bit (in the other thread) regarding 3G power consumption but then, as you pointed out, one can always just leave it on the 2G setting most of the time. The other thing that worries me is what that VGA screen will do to battery life. The X500 reviews all seem fairly consistent regarding about 10-11 hours battery life for regular (or even fairly heavy) PDA usage or for playing music with the screen forced to stay on maximum brightness so if it's similar for the X500+/X800 then yes, I would most definitely go for that model, but if the battery life is much below 10 hours then I would have a dilema. I'm a bit spoiled with my Sony TH-55 which gives about 12-14 hours of typical PDA usage (although admittedly I run the screen at a very low backlight setting).

- Julian

Edited by JulianL

Guest Paul (MVP)

I haven't measured my download speeds.

X500+ is a X500 with a VGA screen, X800 is an entirely new device with 3G (altho a similar form factor to the X500/+).

P

Guest oldpalmuser
Wow. That is great news. Thank you for all your efforts to make E-Ten see the light. You've probably just directly made them another sale here in the UK. They should give you commission.

I bought by Sony Clie TH-55 3 years ago as a birthday present to myself and I've finally decided that maybe smartphones are good enough to replace, after a total of 9 years of avid use, by beloved PDA. Hopefully they can get the T-Mobile patch out in time for June 11th, in which case I think I know what this year's present to myself is going to be.

What are the remaining issues? How widely deployed is EDGE on the T-Mobile network? What sort of download speeds do you get and is it fairly acceptable for browsing mobile-optimised sites?

- Julian

I did check with Virgin before buying my X500, and they assured me that EDGE was available across their network (and thus presumably T-Mobile). Of course I've never been able to confirm this due to ETEN's oversight.......

• 4 months later...
Guest Jezusfreak333

I won't rest until it's sorted :wub:

P

I am totally new to this forum so please excuse my ignorance. I keep reading that GPRS and and EDGE aren't compatible with T-Mobile's network in UK, but is it working ok in the U.S.? I really need to know because I'm waiting to receive on tomorrow. Also, is the GPS working ok on the M700 Glofish in the U.S.? I was also told that there might be a special SIM card needed for this device. Is that true? ;) :D