Which GPS software is the must useful?

Guest sjalloq

Guest sjalloq

So having enabled GPS within my Orange M700, the obvious question is which software package is best to use?

I have a TomTom for my car so what I'm most interested in is how they perform when you want to find a restaurant or your way round a city by foot. The Orange Sat Nav demo that I just tried seemed pretty slick and I was quite impressed. I'm going to have a much more in depth play with it later once I can use my off-peak data. But what else is out there? Does anyone have any experience with other GPS software?

Thanks.

Guest sjalloq

Continuing from the other thread...

That's it :D

So Orange Sat Nav was completely free to use? :)

P

I managed to download the trail version for free and I'm assuming it is the same 7 day trail that is advertised on the Orange business site (http://tinyurl.com/2k2skx). The main difference between this and TomTom is that it uses server-side maps so you'll have to have a cheap data connection if you use it a lot.

I have no idea what sort of pricing they will introduce for non-business cutomers but I might give customer service a call tonight.

Guest Orange_Soda

I got Tom Tom 6 up and running with no real problems...

Had to do a bit of research with regards of what GPS settings to use etc. but once set up... works great although intially a little slow to pick up GPS signal! But once signal is recieved maintains it flawlessly.

Would be interested in some more details about setting the registry to enable the GPS settings though... if someone could PM me with more info... would be excellent.

will keep you up to date with any news / issues etc...

Guest Orange_Soda
Post #23. http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=251790&st=20

But if you've got TomTom running then GPS must have been enabled already so I'm not really sure I follow.

Well, would just be nice if there was a GPS menu etc. or a logo to say its in use etc...

was just by luck that i found the correct GPS settings...

Have also just had issues with the car charger, i.e no light and no power... but a quick call to the orange shop in Clifton and they can swap it over this afternoon! just hope this isn't going to be a common occurance - even if its only a small fuse - will still be annoying!

Guest sjalloq
Well, would just be nice if there was a GPS menu etc. or a logo to say its in use etc...

was just by luck that i found the correct GPS settings...

Before I enabled the relevant key in the registry the GPS functionality was disabled. It wasn't the case that it was enabled and I just couldn't see the GPS Settings menu, it wouldn't work full stop. I tried using Orange Sat Nav but it errored out saying no GPS device was present. Anyway, hope you've got the menu sorted now.

Guest mavisdavis
but a quick call to the orange shop in Clifton

Which Orange shop in clifton did you get it from dude, Im only in Long Eaton (used to work at Wilford) My local one hasnt got it in yet. Im dying to see it in the flesh. PM so we dont hijack the thread ;-)

Guest Orange_Soda

mavisdavis, you have Pm.

sjalloq, hmmm... don't know whats going on here then, i'll have a play around this evening. Currecntly i have GPS enabled and can pick up satalites fine through Tom Tom. Would just be handy to have a GPS menu, so i could in theory turn the GPS on and start picking up satalites before I start the Tom Tom software as this takes a fair few minutes to do once in Tom Tom...

Got my car charger fixed now, was just a blown fuse, so nothing big. and the new one worked well last night and this morning.

Guest sjalloq
sjalloq, hmmm... don't know whats going on here then, i'll have a play around this evening. Currecntly i have GPS enabled and can pick up satalites fine through Tom Tom. Would just be handy to have a GPS menu, so i could in theory turn the GPS on and start picking up satalites before I start the Tom Tom software as this takes a fair few minutes to do once in Tom Tom...

Just to clarify what is available when you update the registry key...

You get a GPS menu within the Settings->System tab. The GPS settings page has 3 tabs, defined as follows:

1. Programs: Choose the port that programs will use to obtain GPS data. GPD1-GPD9.

2. Hardware: Specify the hardware port to which your GPS device is connected. COM1-COM9 and a selection of Baud Rates.

3. Access: A checkbox to specify that Windows Mobile should 'Manage GPS automatically'.

So to clarify, there is no way of logically turning the GPS on, no way of seeing if it is receiving data etc. This is all handled by the software you chose to use and hence the latency as it initialises the GPS and locks on to the signal.

HTH.

Guest pock8081

I've now got both Tom Tom v5 and Memory map 2003 running brilliant on the M700. It even manages to pick up a signal in my house!

Not bad for a free phone on a contract from orange!

Guest bluetoon

sjalloq

Thanks for all your advice how to get GPS working. I have spent along time until looking at this forum getting no where fast.

After getting registery editor and changing the setting to 0 I now have got a GPS icon in the settings folder.

I still am not able to a GPS signal through Orange Satnav status "GPS not connected" still remains Windows live and Google Maps also are not picking up a signal.

The GPS settings I have are

GPS program port : COM 1

GPS hard ware port : COM9

Baud rate: 115200

Access manage GPS automically is ticked

Any suggestion to anything I have missed or are my settings in correct.

many thanks

Just to clarify what is available when you update the registry key...

You get a GPS menu within the Settings->System tab. The GPS settings page has 3 tabs, defined as follows:

1. Programs: Choose the port that programs will use to obtain GPS data. GPD1-GPD9.

2. Hardware: Specify the hardware port to which your GPS device is connected. COM1-COM9 and a selection of Baud Rates.

3. Access: A checkbox to specify that Windows Mobile should 'Manage GPS automatically'.

So to clarify, there is no way of logically turning the GPS on, no way of seeing if it is receiving data etc. This is all handled by the software you chose to use and hence the latency as it initialises the GPS and locks on to the signal.

HTH.

Guest dave106
sjalloq

Thanks for all your advice how to get GPS working. I have spent along time until looking at this forum getting no where fast.

After getting registery editor and changing the setting to 0 I now have got a GPS icon in the settings folder.

I still am not able to a GPS signal through Orange Satnav status "GPS not connected" still remains Windows live and Google Maps also are not picking up a signal.

The GPS settings I have are

GPS program port : COM 1

GPS hard ware port : COM9

Baud rate: 115200

Access manage GPS automically is ticked

Any suggestion to anything I have missed or are my settings in correct.

many thanks

mine worked straight away without touching any settings or modifying the registry. just installed google maps and activated gps, took a minute of so to get a fix tho.

check you have radio version 1.30.00.01 and rom version and date 1.23.61.5 - 01/25/07 in the device information control panel would ya?

Edited by dave106

Guest bluetoon
mine worked straight away without touching any settings or modifying the registry. just installed google maps and activated gps, took a minute of so to get a fix tho.

check you have radio version 1.30.00.01 and rom version and date 1.23.61.5 - 01/25/07 in the device information control panel would ya?

Have checked those settings and they are exactly the same as yours. How did you "active gps" maybe that is where I have made a mistake.

Guest sjalloq
hmmm I've tried editing the registry key "hide" to 0 but everyone time I reboot it changes it back to "1". Any ideas?

Sorry, not checked in for a while. No idea why it reverts on reboot sorry as mine doesn't. Maybe someone with more registry hacking experience might be able to lend a hand if you still haven't solved it.

Guest sjalloq
Have checked those settings and they are exactly the same as yours. How did you "active gps" maybe that is where I have made a mistake.

Hi bluetoon,

afraid I'm at a loss here. Where were you when you tried using the GPS? I noticed that the signal was very weak indoors and I can't get any sort of signal at work. It does take a minute or two to lock on so I suggest going outside and giving it another go. Just to make sure it isn't a weak signal giving you all the problems.

I'm also going to install google maps and see how that works. Didn't realise they did one for PocketPC.

Guest bluetoon
Hi bluetoon,

afraid I'm at a loss here. Where were you when you tried using the GPS? I noticed that the signal was very weak indoors and I can't get any sort of signal at work. It does take a minute or two to lock on so I suggest going outside and giving it another go. Just to make sure it isn't a weak signal giving you all the problems.

I'm also going to install google maps and see how that works. Didn't realise they did one for PocketPC.

At last I have GPS. The solution was to remove google maps, live and orange satnav and start again. This time I downloaded the orange sat nav from internet explorer - menu - favourites - dowload Sat Nav from Orange free trial. This puts in the correct settings for the m700 GPS. I think if you download anything other than this first (or perhaps install Tom Tom) you do not configure the GPS correctly and cause problems if you download other generic satnav applications first. My advice to anyone using their M700 for the first time is to install orange sat nav first even if you do not intend to use it or the alternative is spending hours messing with the registry or trying to explain to orange help desk you want to access GPS not be given help about GPRS.

Apart for the GPS issue the phone is working great - the only other problem I have had is orange told me it was able to take a line 2 it does not. Despite numerous calls to Orange I still have not been able to get my old line 2 diverted to my line 1.