M700 - Just got one, first thoughts....

Guest Wayne_Mobile

Guest Wayne_Mobile

Just got this little baby yesterday and very impressed. Wanted a broader range of software than my old smartphone (C600) had so decided on a PPC, wanted one for ages and the inbuilt GPS was what made me decide. Got a damn good contract with it too, loads more mins and a tenner less than I was paying.

Inbuilt GPS works like a charm, and works better than my old external bluetooth unit, I can even pick up sats in the house, now that's weird (maybe it will help me find the loo when I've had to much to drink). ;)

Anyone know if it's possible to assign a tone/sound to an incoming SMS message?

Guest OzzMosiz
Just got this little baby yesterday and very impressed. Wanted a broader range of software than my old smartphone (C600) had so decided on a PPC, wanted one for ages and the inbuilt GPS was what made me decide. Got a damn good contract with it too, loads more mins and a tenner less than I was paying.

Inbuilt GPS works like a charm, and works better than my old external bluetooth unit, I can even pick up sats in the house, now that's weird (maybe it will help me find the loo when I've had to much to drink). ;)

Anyone know if it's possible to assign a tone/sound to an incoming SMS message?

I believe you have to dump a .wmv file into the Windows directory to pick up sounds for Alarm/SMS

Guest Wayne_Mobile
I believe you have to dump a .wmv file into the Windows directory to pick up sounds for Alarm/SMS

.WMV ??? That's a Video file.... Do you mean .WMA ?

Do you have any further information? Does it have to be a particular filename? I'll go check my windows folder and see what I can find.

Guest OzzMosiz
.WMV ??? That's a Video file.... Do you mean .WMA ?

Do you have any further information? Does it have to be a particular filename? I'll go check my windows folder and see what I can find.

Oops typo ;) yes wma file. Don't think it has to be a particular filename

Guest Disco Stu

With ye olde PPCs you could only use wav files for Notifications.

I think....

Ringtones can be in various formats but need to go in \Windows \Rings.

Keep on reporting those impressions because I'm thinking of getting one too ;)

Guest jimbouk

Its a WAV file in the windows folder - it then appears in the drop down list of sounds when you select new text message or new email etc in sounds and notifications settings page.

Guest OzzMosiz

Just double checked, it is indeed WAV file format. I was thinking of Ring tones obviously ;) (which can also me mp3)

Edited by OzzMosiz

Guest Neil5459

Notifications must be WAV and must be small in size (ie you can't just copy a song/tune in WAV format, you need to extract a sample first) and reside in the Windows folder.

Ring tones can be WAV, MID, WMA, or MP3 and need to be in Windows/Rings or Application Data/Sounds (I think this applies to AKU 2.5 and later- earlier AKU's only use the Windows/Rings folder).

Guest Wayne_Mobile

Thanks all.

I didn't realise there was a "Sounds & Notifications" section where you could set-up the SMS/MMS sounds e.t.c. New to PPC. All is fine now.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...