Ask me about SMARTPHONES!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Right, have made a 175MB video showing a few devices, will post a link once i've done something useful with it... it's too big for a straight soapbox upload! Doh! ;)

P

PS Vista is great for super-easy video importing!

Guest nickcornaglia

I love the VOX's looks. Toshiba is just okay to me at first glance.

How do common apps work on the Vox. As I believe this is the FIRST smartphone with a portrait AND landscape screen. Does this cause a problem with alot of apps?

Guest harrysaab

where did u get them from? are they released yet?? where can i get one from? ;)

Right, have made a 175MB video showing a few devices, will post a link once i've done something useful with it... it's too big for a straight soapbox upload! Doh! :D

P

PS Vista is great for super-easy video importing!

Guest Paul (MVP)

They're not released yet.

With regards to apps, I have the same concern encece, but amazingly the couple of things i've tried seem to cope well!

P

Guest furby

What's the keyboard like to use on the Vox? How are the mobile office apps (word, excel, etc) to use on a smartphone? Thanks

Edited by furby

Guest trevormuk
Thanks Paul. Pictures are good, video is frankly awful however!

If Samsung can put a cracking 3mp camera in a phone as tiny as the D900, why are Windows based phones still stuck with 2mp cameras? Baffling.

Yes I don't understand it either..

I have a D900... and it is a sleek slim sexy phone.. with 3M camera ;) But the useability, menus, connectivity etc. is shocking :(

Why don't Samsung simply take a D900 and load it with WM6?? .. you would have a cracking retail friendly WM smartphone :D

Guest markdotpeters5

Probably because the bettery would die in 10 minutes ;)

I know what you mean though. Hell, the Vox with the D900's camera would be amazing!

Guest nuttyphilt

Is it possible to schedule POP3 email in WM6? i.e. download mail every 30 mins between 8am and 11pm. Currently not possible in WM5.

Cheers.

Guest Sonicr360

I also own a D900 - its a great phone.

I am looking forward to the I600 - meant to be slim, WM5, Wi-Fi and would be nice to see it here !

Simon

Guest Paul (MVP)

The fingerprint reader on the G500 is way cool... as well as using it to unlock the device (obviously), you can also scroll up / download / left / right with it (!), click, and even assign different apps to different fingers!

;)

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

The G500 also seems to have some sort of SIP client built in. I haven't really got it going yet, but it DOES connect to my SIP server.

If only it had WM6, I would very seriously consider making the G500 my device of choice!

I mean, a good looking Smartphone with 3G / HSDPA / WiFi, fingerprint reader etc. AND good build quality? Impressive stuff!

P

Guest Addic

When changing phone format or OS inevitably there seems to be some compromise with older apps/games not working on new devices. To this point is there any indication on how well games/apps work on the excaliber and Vox?

e.g. some apps work on the SPV C550, but don't work on the C600 I know the SPV c600 has a different OS and screen, but so has the excaliber and Vox from regular smartphones.

Example apps that don't seem to play nice on the SPV C600:

Tomtom 5/6

Octopuzzle deluxe

Tmax

spvduke3d

Xrick

Would it be possible to test similar apps on the excaliber and Vox and report on how well they function?

Edited by Addic

Guest sxywill2005

It's about time there was some decent smartphones... there appears there could of been a drought since the C600.

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?partner=modaco&i=146075 - Toshiba G500 for £350 inc VAT ;)

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?partner=modaco&i=145682 - HTC VOX S710 for £280 :D

Please drop your prices... I don't think £200+ on a phone is justified anymore, however I would pay that for a PDA Phone.

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Well this is where we need the mobile operators to drop in and slap their subsidies on the handsets! Just a little quicker than they normally take ;)

Guest GuyAdams

I love the new S710 form factor and the fact finally a WM smartphone has mobile office but...

why oh why can't they pack 3g in there somewhere?!?

I really really would like to see a 3g smartphone with wifi!

I know the obvious reasons for not including both and to be honest I think i'll still end up buying the 'vox'

Moan over, all look great though.

Guy

Guest Rob_eXp
Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Paul... please donate the Vox or the G500 to me please. ;)

I knew that Toshiba would integrate it's Satelite branding from it's laptops to a phone.

Satelite = Mid range = Some extra good valueness is on the way.

OK, the satelites seem to be bulky for those Tosh owners, how about a Tecra or Portege phone... now that would be thin!

Mobile Today 8.2.06

Hmmm can we see the G500 on other networks other than VODAFONE? :D

Q: Any word on release dates and pricing on the G500 and Vox?

The G500 and G900 will be branded as Portege upon release, the satellite branding on this one will be because its a pre-release unit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.