A couple of questions relating to voicemail if I may?

Guest zim_zimmer

Guest zim_zimmer

I own a SPV C550 and had a couple of questions relating to voicemail...

1. Recently I have had the voicemail symbol displayed in the top left hand corner of my screen and it won't disappear!! Even though I dial Voicemail and listen to my messages it still won't go away even when I've finished listening and hung up. Anyone know how to get rid of this?

2. How do you set the voicemail number to be the speedial number on the number 1 key on the keypad? Hope that makes sense!? Basically, when I hold down the number 1 key on the keypad I want it to dial out to voicemail... any ideas?

Thanks

Guest pd.ryder

I had the same problem with the 'tape' symbol on my 550 - the best solution is to delay hanging up from the voicemail service until after the symbol has been removed by the system sending the command. There seemed to be a problem with this process if the call was ended before the command was sent.

With respect to your second question - I think I'm right in thinking that somewhere in the menu settings (alongside the 'Message Centre Number' I think) is an option to set the voicemail number. I can't be certain of this one tho. It's been a while since I let my nephew have my 550 ;)

Good luck, let me know if I'm right :D

Guest zim_zimmer

Right, managed to get rid of the envelope / tape symbol! Tried it your way first pd (thanks for the quick reply)... didn't work so I actually phoned myself and left a message. The redialed voicemail and that cured that.

I found the voicemail number in the settings as you mentioned. The number is right... however its still not 'speed dialling' from the number 1 on the keypad?? Any ideas on how to assign it ;)

Guest pd.ryder

Mmm, there is a menu for assigning speed dials but if I remember correctly #1 is not user selectable thru the normal route. I know I had to go to Orange CS for this once and they sent a SIM update, but if you're using it unlocked on another network that won't be an option for you.

The best chap to ask about this is gpcarreon (posts on Modaco so PM him?). He also has a website www.gpcarreon.com - he knows more about the C550 than HTC themselves! If he can't help, no-one can ;)

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

@Paul

Sorry for this late reply. Here is what I can recall about Voicemail (question 2): If you have already configured the number in Settings > Phone > Call Options, keypad 1 is automatically assigned to voicemail. If in case your keypad 1 does not work, you may assign it to another key you prefer.

Create a new TXT file on PC then type the following code:

00#"\windows\voicemail.exe"

Save the file as Vmail.txt. Change extension to lnk (instead of TXT) then transfer the LNK to \Storage\windows\Start Menu. Hold phone then click on 'Start' button to show the start menu entries. Look for 'Vmail' shortcut. With the Voicemail LNK in sight, click rightsoft key to bring up the Add Speed Dial menu. Proceed with assigning speed dial key to Voicemail LNK. Shown below is a Typhoon screenshot. I think the instructions given will also work on the C550. Note though that my device is currently on Flight Mode (radio off) so it won't dial voicemail.

snap295ou6.jpg

@PD

If I happen to know the answer from first-hand experience, I try my best to help out... not that I know more than HTC folks. ;) Kind words much appreciated. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest zim_zimmer

Excellent, Thanks for this.

When I followed your instructions it didn't work :rolleyes: Come up with something about the shortcut not being able to find its target or something?? So I went into the WINDOWS menu via ActiveSync and founc the vmail.exe file. Copied that and pasted a shortcut onto the Start Menu and then applied your ASSIGINING a button technique and it now works!!

Thank you very much

On another subject. I;m having trouble downloading MMS messages?? The phone keeps saying that the memory is full, even though there are no messages (apart from the one I've received) in the MMS folders, or even in the SMS folders now I've just cleared them thinking it would help!!!

Please could you help??