SPV E650... the Press Release

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest acidlund
Glad you've tried TomTom and got it to work. You can pretty much guarantee as soon as it's available all the posts will be "Does TomTom work?" :D :(

As you said ;)

Acid

Guest jazlabs

Hi Guys

Just to let you know, I tried to install TomTom Navigator 6 on my E650 today and although it seemed to install OK and came up with the language selection, as soon as I selected "English" I got a message saying the device is not compatible and automatically closed!

This is really annoying as I'm guessing the application would probably work just fine but TomTom have put an OS check in the application just to make sure you only use it on supported devices!

Hope this helps, and if anyone has a solution/update please keep this post updated.

Thanks.

Guest peekie

tomtom 6 does not work on a smartphone , only a ppc phone sadly , looks like tomtom have droped the smartphone , not a wise thing as route 66 is on both smartphone and ppc and it has free trafic as well built in , so go for that one its better ;)

Guest J a c k o

i have got an e650 do you know if there are any good bluejacking programs i basicly want it to send messages to my friends in class etc. "i know its a little off topic"

Guest nuttyphilt
tomtom 6 does not work on a smartphone , only a ppc phone sadly , looks like tomtom have droped the smartphone , not a wise thing as route 66 is on both smartphone and ppc and it has free trafic as well built in , so go for that one its better ;)

Yeah, I don't understand that decision, especially with the popularity of the Blackjack and T-Mobile Dash/Mail. Doesn't seem like the best business decision ever made!

Guest SteveCat

Hi, I have recently upgraded to the E650 and I have to say its ace. However there is a little niggle I have with it and wondered if a fellow user of the phone could help me out? The problem appears to be in the Sounds section of the Phone Start > Settings > 2 Sounds. In sounds there is Reminders (2nd down) which allows you to set a tone for 'Reminders' you may have. On my device it doesn't let you hear the Tones it offers within 'Reminders' but it does in the other section i.e. Ring Tone, New Email etc, etc. Is this a fault with the phone or does other E650's not allow you to hear these tones also within 'Reminders'?

Also if anyone knows of something I should do to correct this then please advise. I wondered if it may have something to do with the fact I don't have a SD card installed.

Thanks

Steve

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

You should be able to hit Menu > play to preview the ringtones. Might be a bug that that specific one doesnt play automagically...

Guest pdavisno1
Back again ...

I tried to install TOMTOM 5.2 ... i was very surprised when I noticed that it works, even better than on my SPV C600, it is now much much faster.

Really guys, this phone rocks !

I have also installed TOMTOM 5.2 but now have a problem with the display timeout. It never times out so drains battery

Can anyone help??

Guest SteveCat
You should be able to hit Menu > play to preview the ringtones. Might be a bug that that specific one doesnt play automagically...

Orange called back this morning and have said this is NOT a fault, it was made that way for some reason.

Guest blade6750

Something this size should has GPS built in. Im due an upgrade from the C600 but im not to sure about this phone yet. I hear its freezing up alot?

DR

www.free-stuffz.co.uk

Guest SteveCat
Something this size should has GPS built in. Im due an upgrade from the C600 but im not to sure about this phone yet. I hear its freezing up alot?

DR

www.free-stuffz.co.uk

Mine hasn't freezed yet but I do have two issue's, firstly the battery life is crap. Needs charging every 1 1/2 days and thats with hardly any use. Secondly when I reply to a text the phone doesn't seem to know what to do, you go to write letters and it displays numbers and will not correct. You then have to cancel the message and start again, this only happens when replying to new Text messages. If anyone knows a solution to this I would be grateful.

Guest Griff_FFOC
Hi, I have recently upgraded to the E650 and I have to say its ace. However there is a little niggle I have with it and wondered if a fellow user of the phone could help me out? The problem appears to be in the Sounds section of the Phone Start > Settings > 2 Sounds. In sounds there is Reminders (2nd down) which allows you to set a tone for 'Reminders' you may have. On my device it doesn't let you hear the Tones it offers within 'Reminders' but it does in the other section i.e. Ring Tone, New Email etc, etc. Is this a fault with the phone or does other E650's not allow you to hear these tones also within 'Reminders'?

Also if anyone knows of something I should do to correct this then please advise. I wondered if it may have something to do with the fact I don't have a SD card installed.

Thanks

Steve

I had this too, and thought it was as a result of installing some software.

Now it's happened again on my replacement phone that I just got yesterday. All I've done with this new handset so far is sync'd my contacts and calendar with the PC, and switched the standard profiles between Normal and Vibrate a couple of times. So I guess it may be some sort of bug.

It also has the effect that reminders don't play a sound when a meeting/appointment is due.

Orange called back this morning and have said this is NOT a fault, it was made that way for some reason.

I'd say they haven't got a clue then, because it worked just fine last night when I first got my phone, as it was the first thing I checked. Normally it'll play the reminder tone by simply selecting it in the sounds window.

Secondly when I reply to a text the phone doesn't seem to know what to do, you go to write letters and it displays numbers and will not correct. You then have to cancel the message and start again, this only happens when replying to new Text messages. If anyone knows a solution to this I would be grateful.

Yep, had this one too. When you reply to a text and it's the first time the sms program is opened, the focus is not on the message section, and so it doesn't know what to do. Simply pressing up and back down sorts the focus out and you can then type away.

If you already have the sms messaging app running, you can go into and reply to messages fine.

Again, i've not seen a fix for this yet.

Edited by Griff_FFOC

Guest SteveCat
I had this too, and thought it was as a result of installing some software.

Now it's happened again on my replacement phone that I just got yesterday. All I've done with this new handset so far is sync'd my contacts and calendar with the PC, and switched the standard profiles between Normal and Vibrate a couple of times. So I guess it may be some sort of bug.

It also has the effect that reminders don't play a sound when a meeting/appointment is due.

I'd say they haven't got a clue then, because it worked just fine last night when I first got my phone, as it was the first thing I checked. Normally it'll play the reminder tone by simply selecting it in the sounds window.

Yep, had this one too. When you reply to a text and it's the first time the sms program is opened, the focus is not on the message section, and so it doesn't know what to do. Simply pressing up and back down sorts the focus out and you can then type away.

If you already have the sms messaging app running, you can go into and reply to messages fine.

Again, i've not seen a fix for this yet.

The messaging issue is a pain in the arse, please let me know if you find a solution to it.

Guest pdavisno1
Will TomTom Mobile 5 Work on this Device? i.e the same version used on the C600?

Yes it does, now have it working correctly and resolved the problem I had with the backlight not timing out

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gudz90
Yes it does, now have it working correctly and resolved the problem I had with the backlight not timing out

Can you elaborate on how your cured this? Mine is doing the same.

Guest Torchwood

Thanks

Steve

I've had this problem but found that setting 'reminders' to 'on' in the silent profile fixes the problem. Don't know why but would apper to be a bug.

T

• 1 month later...
Guest Madcav

Morning all, newbie calling! Found this site via an internet search and looks very good with plenty of useful advice.

Cutting to the chase I fancy an SPV E650, could someone please tell me if they come with a built in sat nav receiver? I asked Orange, one person said yes, two said no, and one suggested it was between £100-£200!

Also can't seem to find whether it has video recording and what type of ring tones are available plus whether it has an MP3 player. Sorry for all the q's but any advice very greatfully received, thanks in advance.

Guest Metoo
Morning all, newbie calling! Found this site via an internet search and looks very good with plenty of useful advice.

Cutting to the chase I fancy an SPV E650, could someone please tell me if they come with a built in sat nav receiver? I asked Orange, one person said yes, two said no, and one suggested it was between £100-£200!

Also can't seem to find whether it has video recording and what type of ring tones are available plus whether it has an MP3 player. Sorry for all the q's but any advice very greatfully received, thanks in advance.

Welcome to the site.

Satnav - no, but you can get perfecly good SiRFIII bluetooth receivers for around £30 - I don't see the sense in paying more. Navigation software will cost you £60-70.

Video - yes, but only at a lowly 176x144

Ringtones - you can use polyphonic MID or MP3 so the choice is yours

MP3 player - yes - Windows Media Player is built in. The only gotcha is that the headphone socket is proprietary, which means either using an ExtUSB adapter or bluetooth headphones.

Edited by Metoo

Guest Madcav
Welcome to the site.

Satnav - no, but you can get perfecly good SiRFIII bluetooth receivers for around £30 - I don't see the sense in paying more. Navigation software will cost you £60-70.

Video - yes, but only at a lowly 176x144

Ringtones - you can use polyphonic MID or MP3 so the choice is yours

MP3 player - yes - Windows Media Player is built in. The only gotcha is that the headphone socket is proprietary, which means either using an ExtUSB adapter or bluetooth headphones.

Wow, many thanks for the quick and informative response. Sorry to ask yet more questions but if I got a SiRFIIIbluetooth receiver (presumably from the bay of madness) would this phone support sat nav if I bought the download? Oh, I presume I can listen to MP3 without headphones though, just going through the phone's built in speaker as normal?

Many thanks once again, much appreciated.

Guest Madcav

Got the phone today and so far impressions are good. Now, another question (you'll be sick of me soon!): I have Tom Tom Navigator 3 for my pocket pc. Can I run this on the E650 please? Thanks and regards,

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.