Samsung SGH-i600 -Firmware Updates here!!!

Guest humaxnet

Guest lasset
Nope, that was completely anecdotal and came from a german forum (whose users mailed Samsung asking for WM6 upgrade details). Check the original thread: http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=msmobiles.

That's as far from being an official announcement as me stating i600 will get levitation abilities and a coffee making functionality with the next firmware update. The original reports even pointed to a wrong page...

Show me *one* truly official announcement or PR by Samsung that states WM6 will be available for i600, and when.

No, it won't be like WM6 built-in support. The built in support is actually worse.

And just BTW, it doesn't get you cut/copy/paste nor Java. The only worthy additions are HTML e-mail, mobile Office apps that work worse than Docs To Go and tidbits like autocomplete in e-mail To: field.

As far as "sorely missed" goes, with DocsToGo and a replacement e-mail client - i see absolutely no problems or missing functions on my i600.

Hi all i600 people

At Samsungs officiell Swedish home page, in specifications for Samsung SHG i600, you can read that there is comming a WM6 upgrade in June for the phone. If it's not comming an upgrade, I think Swedish Samsung got big problems. Why? Read this! The Samsung i600 units wich has been sold to the Swedish market has no Turbo-3G, just 3G, but, in all advertising, Samsung says the phone running Turbo-3G.

About the solutions you can read in the Swedish specifications for i600, where Samsung let you know, upgrade your phone to WM6 and you get a running Turbo-3G included. I'm running firmware i600XXGD1 andHSDPA, but I like to have WM6 at my phone, so I'm waiting!!!

http://nordic.samsungmobile.com, go to support and you will find the Swedish WM6 upgrade for i600, when it's released, officell from Swedish Samsung.

I will try back as soon as I got any news.

Lasse T

Sweden

Guest Mattias A
I can't see mention of WM6 anywhere in here:

http://nordic.samsungmobile.com/eng/wcms/p...NR-SGH-I600.jsp

And HSDPA is listed along with UMTS, as usual, at the top.

Could you please link to the specifications you've mentioned?

In an interview with Erik Johannesson the man responsible for the PR division of Samsung Sweden promised an upgrade in late of June that would be with WM6 and HSDPA and that it should be downloadable from the Samsung Nordic website. The interview was published on mobil.se - an swedish site for mobilephones.

http://mobil.mkf.se/ArticlePages/200705/07..._MOB968.dbp.asp

The interview in swedish :)

I have tried to reach Erik for a comment but he is on vaccation until 1st of August. I bought my phone after reading that because I didn´t wanna buy a phone without knowing that the WM6 upgrade would be coming. So if it is not coming I will never ever more buy a Samsung phone.

Edited by Mattias A

Guest lasset
In an interview with Erik Johannesson the man responsible for the PR division of Samsung Sweden promised an upgrade in late of June that would be with WM6 and HSDPA and that it should be downloadable from the Samsung Nordic website. The interview was published on mobil.se - an swedish site for mobilephones.

http://mobil.mkf.se/ArticlePages/200705/07..._MOB968.dbp.asp

The interview in swedish :)

I have tried to reach Erik for a comment but he is on vaccation until 1st of August. I bought my phone after reading that because I didn´t wanna buy a phone without knowing that the WM6 upgrade would be coming. So if it is not coming I will never ever more buy a Samsung phone.

When WM6/i600 is ready for download you find here,

http://nordic.samsungmobile.com/eng/wcms/p...NR-SGH-I600.jsp.

If you like to check what Samsungs Sweden write about upgrade toWM6 and HSPDA, you have to go to this adress,

http://www.samsung.com/se/products/mobil/m...=Specifications

it Swedish language but you find about the upgrade under the specifications.

Guest hanzepans
There was never an official announcement nor press release. They were all rumours.

There definately has been a press release from Samsung! I remember having read a Swedish press release about it. I cannot find the Swedish text, but I found a Finnish version:

http://www.samsung.com/fi/presscenter/sams..._0000342676.asp

Roughly translated via a webtranslator it reads something like this:

SAMSUNG I600SSA: IS NOW WINDOWS MOBILE 6 Samsungin slim and efficient i600 no ole but ohuin lajissaan. June since its may Windows Mobile 6n: too and before version ostaneille dish gratuitous update.

Hans

Edit: Found the Swedish press release as well! Here it is:

http://www.samsung.com/se/presscenter/sams..._0000342396.asp

Edited by hanzepans

Guest Bob-

Orcinus,

Looks like someone didn't search the internet well enough...

Heck, even other members can see that Samsung Sweden announced WM6 to come out in June. Also check out: http://msmobiles.com/news.php/6375.html. They mentioned Samsung Europe's reply in May, that Samsung is going to release the Windows Mobile 6 upgrade.

Stop trying to protect Samsung like a fan boy. What we all know now is that Samsung has failed to deliver what they promised, despite of coming up with a nice handheld (hardware~form-wise). Software wise, it's missing lots of features in WM5 and need a lot of work there. A software upgrade would greatly help it. And they (Samsung) haven't done that to help its users.

And you mentioned so much about installing all those 3rd party applications. A smartphone shouldn't even need all those softwares from other vendors. That is just like buy a car and buying the airbags separately and then the dashboard display. They should have it all working for the user in the first place. Heck, right now it can't do letter dailing and so many other basic stuff, which is pathetic.

Edited by Bob-

Guest orcinus

The msmobiles article was the one mentioned in the thread i've linked. It was just a repost of info from another site, which was based on the very same german forum reports i've mentioned.

Regarding the rest of your acidic post, where again did you buy your phone? Sweden? Finland?

I'm not a fanboy, i'm just trying to tell you you recieved EXACTLY what you've paid for and what was advertised. Or did, perhaps, someone sell you an i600 with a spec sheet saying it has WM6? Somehow i doubt it...

Re: smartphones - the whole POINT of smartphones is extensibility. Buying a smartphone and using it "as is" makes about as much sense as buying an empty house and then complaining how underfurbished it is.

I still can't fathom what made you sell your blackberries and buy an i600 except to bitch and whine about its shortcomings... If you were happy with them, you should have sticked to them. And "letter dialing"? Come on, is that really the most critical app you're looking for in a smartphone?

Guest loki_f

I love my i600, I think it is the best Windows Mobile smartphone I have owned so far as far as handsets go. It is not perfect. I have to say that Samsung are lame as an organisation, far worse than HTC when it comes to support and straightforwardness. For a manufacturer which sits in the top 5 I would expect far better, and this is the last Samsung phone I will own as I don't believe they value my business.

It is clear as day on the scandinavian sites that WM6 was supposed to be coming - Samsung shouldn't promise stuff they can't deliver. No need to hype up something if there is a chance you won't make it - but they obviously knew that saying the device was WM5 only and always will be would be a deal breaker for some of their customers.

Edited by loki_f

Guest ctsd

I've been observing this thread and just installed firmware update i600XXGD1 - absolutely thrilled with this! Have noticed significant speed increase with start up of app window/camera/cardwheel scrolling and transfer of files from device storage to memory card and vice versa.

I bought my i600 from overseas and it had by default vodafone settings/Funzone startup screen and language set to Netherlands. (I am in Australia). If i do a hard reset or firmare update, it reverts back to the vodafone settings and a language i do not understand. Was hoping the firmware update would remove/reset these but did not. Is this something i can alter? I have a feeling it is something built into this phone but would be nice to know if i can change this or not.

Thanks to all who can shed some light on this :)

Guest Bob-
... where again did you buy your phone? Sweden? Finland?

For your snooping information, Germany for my i600, US for my i607 (Blackjack).

I'm not a fanboy, i'm just trying to tell you you recieved EXACTLY what you've paid for and what was advertised.

Like many other people, I bought this so-called "smartphone" full price hoping it would to do more than a basic dial & call phone and allow better mobile productivity than my 2 BlackBerry, but don't really anticipate the fact both the i600 and Blackjack would come and cannot even do basic features like adding 1-800-HELP to the contact phone book and dailing it and many other basic functionality, or missing more advance features like, email content searching and so many others.

Okay, you can say they are not advertized. Even if advance features are omitted, the basic features are expected by everyone to exist in the phones. Had we all know that, the i600 and Blackjack would be more questionable (in a negative way) in purchasing decision (compared to the competitors).

I love my i600, I think it is the best Windows Mobile smartphone I have owned so far as far as handsets go. It is not perfect. I have to say that Samsung are lame as an organisation, far worse than HTC when it comes to support and straightforwardness. For a manufacturer which sits in the top 5 I would expect far better, and this is the last Samsung phone I will own as I don't believe they value my business.

It is clear as day on the scandinavian sites that WM6 was supposed to be coming - Samsung shouldn't promise stuff they can't deliver. No need to hype up something if there is a chance you won't make it - but they obviously knew that saying the device was WM5 only and always will be would be a deal breaker for some of their customers.

You read my mind exactly, but I guess SOME people just don't understand what we're all trying to say to him nor will even listen/read carefully.

Edited by Bob-

Guest orcinus
Like many other people, I bought this so-called "smartphone" full price hoping it would to do more than a basic dial & call phone and allow better mobile productivity than my 2 BlackBerry, but don't really anticipate the fact both the i600 and Blackjack would come and cannot even do basic features like adding 1-800-HELP to the contact phone book and dailing it and many other basic functionality, or missing more advance features like, email content searching and so many others.

So, again, why did you sell your BB's?

AFAIK, i600/i607 wouldn't have the features you're asking for even with WM6.

I understand and respect that you're dissapointed with your new phone(s), but i really, really, REALLY don't understand how that's Samsung's fault. You've ditched something you were happy with, to buy something you're not happy with, while being fully informed on it's capabilities and performance.

At the same time, you blame Samsung for not delivering WM6, as you expected it would, which - in your opinion - makes i600 an unusable and inferior device. What i don't get is this: how would WM6've helped?

Would it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, so much so, that you'd forget it doesn't have service numbers listed under Contacts (they are in Settings>Phone>SDN, just by the way)? Or that you can't search through messages? And finally, why on earth did you buy a smartphone if you're not willing to invest in expanding it's abilities via 3rd party apps? You could've stayed with a dumbphone that does all you're asking of it, out of the box. :)

Guest darkness inc

I understand and respect that you're dissapointed with your new phone(s), but i really, really, REALLY don't understand how that's Samsung's fault. You've ditched something you were happy with, to buy something you're not happy with, while being fully informed on it's capabilities and performance.

At the same time, you blame Samsung for not delivering WM6, as you expected it would, which - in your opinion - makes i600 an unusable and inferior device. What i don't get is this: how would WM6've helped?

Would it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, so much so, that you'd forget it doesn't have service numbers listed under Contacts (they are in Settings>Phone>SDN, just by the way)? Or that you can't search through messages? And finally, why on earth did you buy a smartphone if you're not willing to invest in expanding it's abilities via 3rd party apps? You could've stayed with a dumbphone that does all you're asking of it, out of the box. :)

Got some good news from them today

Dear Mr Taylor-Lawrence

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

Customer Reference: 2101997199

Thank you for your mail. In response to your queries, firstly it has yet

to be confirmed that an upgrade to WM6 will be available in the UK,

although this does seem highly likely. Information on this will be

posted on our website (www.samsungmobile.co.uk) when it becomes

available, but we are unable to provide a specific timeframe for this.

In regards to the issue with dust under the i600 screen, while we are

aware of internet forums detailing this, we have actually yet to come

across this problem ourselves - we use 9 i600s in this office alone for

testing, and not one of them has shown these symptoms at any point.

We suspect that this may havesomething to do with the manner in

which customers experiencing this issue are storing/using their phones.

:P

Guest kuvulmaz

The header says "Samsung SGH-i600 -Firmware Updates here!!!" but I cannot see any updates here, all rapidshare links are erased.

Can somebody pm me any links they know?

And... perhaps you should start a new topic named "Samsung I60x and the WM6 controversy!" and carry on this discussion over there.. :)

Guest Bob-

I still have my 2 BlackBerry. I thought it would be good to switch to the i600/i607 because of its media capabilities and A2DP.

Actually it's more like the BlackBerry was good but doesn't mean I was happy, content and they were still missing some features I wanted.

So I got the i600 & i607, unknown of that fact that it misses so many basic functionalities as well as advance ones. I'm sure I'm not the only one and there's numerous people out there as well.

WM6 addresses some (yes, just some) of the missing functionalities (both basic and advance ones) of WM5. That will already help out a bit of our mobile productivity than the situation now. That is the exact reason why a lot of other people want that upgrade as well

Would it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, so much so, that you'd forget it doesn't have service numbers listed under Contacts (they are in Settings>Phone>SDN, just by the way)? Or that you can't search through messages?

The fact that it's missing SO MANY should-have-been-built-in features, not just the few ones I've talked about, makes the i600 and i607 in need of much support updates from Samsung.

And finally, why on earth did you buy a smartphone if you're not willing to invest in expanding it's abilities via 3rd party apps?

3rd party software doesn't resolve everything. Very few are good and many have their own software problems in stability, performance and in many other categories. Not everyone likes to spend money on 3rd party software features that should have been there built-in in the first place in the operating system. 3rd party software - in many case are overpriced as well.

You could've stayed with a dumbphone that does all you're asking of it, out of the box. :)

BlackBerry's, all the Nokia S40, S60 and many other Sony Ericsson basic and smartphones can do all the stuff I ask. But not many come in same form factor at the same time, with media capabilities and A2DP and many other features together... etc.

With RIM, Nokia and Sony Ericsson, they always continue to roll out official updates periodically to support its users. Just not Samsung, as these companies understand that 3rd party software doesn't resolve everything. Those companies know best that very few 3rd party software are good and many have their own software problems in stability, performance and in many other categories as well.

Us? We have to rely on Samsung rom leaks only. Pathetic on Samsung's technical support part. Ouch for us!

Just the simple truth.

Edited by Bob-

Guest orcinus
With RIM, Nokia and Sony Ericsson, they always continue to roll out official updates periodically to support its users. Just not Samsung, as these companies understand that 3rd party software doesn't resolve everything. Those companies know best that very few 3rd party software are good and many have their own software problems in stability, performance and in many other categories as well.

I also own and use an SE M600i (on daily basis, along with a BB). While it's true Sony Ericsson was quite active in regard to firmware updates, there's A LOT to be said about their usability and stability. The first month was terrible. The phone was completely bugged out. The next two it was usable, but problematic. It took about 4-5 firmware updates to get the bugs sorted out and make it about as stable as my i600 was when i took it out of the box.

The first few versions of SE PC Suite were completely unusable. I've lost my data upon firmware update about three or four times, thanks to the fact PC Suite's backup manager was producing 0kb backups or backups that consistently failed to restore. Then Vista came... And SE ignored it's existance for 4 months, until they finally published an SEPC version that said "Vista compatible". With a readme note stating "This version is NOT Vista compatible".

And finally, after the last firmware update in may, SE ditched us, M600i users, and decided to stop working on this model's firmware. But we should really be grateful, because they've left P990i users with a final firmware that actually REINTRODUCED bugs and made the spacebar non-functional.

So, in the end, is all that better then what Samsung does? Less pathetic? Don't really think so...

Us? We have to rely on Samsung rom leaks only. Pathetic on Samsung's technical support part. Ouch for us!

Just the simple truth.

So do Motorola users. So do HTC users. So do HP users. I see no difference there.

None of them offer any sort of update facility for the end user. Some of them offer major upgrades for some models, but that's it. So far, where updates are concerned, Nokia turned out to be most user-friendly (and useful), but it took them quite a while to get there. Remember the Communicator? Or early firmware revisions of the legendary 7650?

In the end, what i'm trying to tell you is this - you may have missed the platform altogether. WM is not the most user friendly and hands-off feature rich smartphone platform out there. Never has been. But that's not a problem that's specific to Samsung or i60x. Swedish users have every right to be upset, because they were denied part of the i600's functionality that WAS stated on the spec sheet - HSDPA. They were promised an update to fix that, along with WM6 as an additional "deal sweetener". We, on the other hand, do not have that right... We've got what we've paid for.

Edited by orcinus

Guest darkness inc
I also own and use an SE M600i (on daily basis, along with a BB). While it's true Sony Ericsson was quite active in regard to firmware updates, there's A LOT to be said about their usability and stability. The first month was terrible. The phone was completely bugged out. The next two it was usable, but problematic. It took about 4-5 firmware updates to get the bugs sorted out and make it about as stable as my i600 was when i took it out of the box.

The first few versions of SE PC Suite were completely unusable. I've lost my data upon firmware update about three or four times, thanks to the fact PC Suite's backup manager was producing 0kb backups or backups that consistently failed to restore. Then Vista came... And SE ignored it's existance for 4 months, until they finally published an SEPC version that said "Vista compatible". With a readme note stating "This version is NOT Vista compatible".

And finally, after the last firmware update in may, SE ditched us, M600i users, and decided to stop working on this model's firmware. But we should really be grateful, because they've left P990i users with a final firmware that actually REINTRODUCED bugs and made the spacebar non-functional.

So, in the end, is all that better then what Samsung does? Less pathetic? Don't really think so...

So do Motorola users. So do HTC users. So do HP users. I see no difference there.

None of them offer any sort of update facility for the end user. Some of them offer major upgrades for some models, but that's it. So far, where updates are concerned, Nokia turned out to be most user-friendly (and useful), but it took them quite a while to get there. Remember the Communicator? Or early firmware revisions of the legendary 7650?

In the end, what i'm trying to tell you is this - you may have missed the platform altogether. WM is not the most user friendly and hands-off feature rich smartphone platform out there. Never has been. But that's not a problem that's specific to Samsung or i60x. Swedish users have every right to be upset, because they were denied part of the i600's functionality that WAS stated on the spec sheet - HSDPA. They were promised an update to fix that, along with WM6 as an additional "deal sweetener". We, on the other hand, do not have that right... We've got what we've paid for.

Well said my friend

Samsung UK are on the case with WM6 so don't worry it will come, they have a team just for the i600 and are very knowledgeble.

I love my i600 but might get a Nokia E90 if weight is not to bad <_<

Guest b_conquistador
I've download a new update rom for my Samsung SGH-i600, but, there is a problem: how can i activate device's reflashing mode???

New update rom is a file.exe that explain this message:

1. Connect your device to PC using the cable.

2. turn on the device with reflashing mode.

3. please click start button if device found.

I try to search instruction over internet, but i find nothing!!!

Can someone help me, please???

Many regards

HumaX

I don't understand why someone just doesn't develop the card wheel interface home-screen. All these geeks around the globe and all the hype and drama about open source and we can't even solve a simple problem for this phone. Irony.

Guest b_conquistador
The i600XXGC6 works perfectly. However when I try to install the i600XXGD1, I get some kind of region error. I installed the modem driver succesfully, and the update programm says (after a while of trying different ports) that it finds the modem. Then the update aborts with the aforementioned region error (wrong region or something). Phone bought in Germany, previous ROM was i600XXGC4.

Now I have XXGD1 for EBOOT/PDA and XXGC6 for PHONE. I really want XXGD1 for PHONE, too.

Any ideas?

can you guys help me please as i seem to be stuck some where that seems easy to get out of, but i cannot. I downloaded XXGD1 for my i600 Orange as i want to flash it. when i run the app after going through the procedure of rebootable it allows me to press the start button but then it says 'select an image to download'. What is it and where can i get it? The file I have downloaded has an .exe file by AnyCon and a notepad file. there is also another file that says i600 samsung modem. I have no other files. I know there should a bin file or something as an image, right?

Guest Mattias A

Hello guys!

I got confirmed from Samsung Sweden today that the WM6 upgrade is for sure coming, its just delayed and now it should be released late this month. To bad I sold my i600 yesterday and bought a HTC TyTn again - missed my Tytn too much :) Ok, the Samsung was nice but it couldn´t beat the tytn. Just thught that I should share the pretty good news with you

Hello guys!

I got confirmed from Samsung Sweden today that the WM6 upgrade is for sure coming, its just delayed and now it should be released late this month. To bad I sold my i600 yesterday and bought a HTC TyTn again - missed my Tytn too much :) Ok, the Samsung was nice but it couldn´t beat the tytn. Just thught that I should share the pretty good news with you

YAAAAAAY! :P

Guest kiwsss

good day to all im from the philippines i just upgrade my phone

I6OOXXGDI UPGRADE

FROM http://wiki.modaco.com/index.php/Samsung_i600 it says

"Latest Official ROM"

European Firmware i600XXGD1 "No-Brand"

after the upgrade

PDA VERSION : i600XXGD1

PHONE VERSION : i600XXGC6

E BOOT VERSION: i600XXGD1

H/W : Not Active

is this result correct ? but my phone works very well.

any one can tell me what is H/W?

Why is it my H/W is not active?