Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Yuri Wuensch
As it comes with a headset that you can use for phone calls then there is a line in, the problem is that HTC have moved away from the more common 2.5mm/3.5mm jack setup to their EXTUSB connection. I know you can get adaptors for the standard jack setups, but I don't know if anyone has brought out an EXTUSB one yet. If not then you would need to cut up your headset and put standard sockets onto it, or get someone more experienced with a soldering iron to do it for you if you aren't confident you can do it yourself.

EDIT: your headset will be safe, ORA make an adaptor that you can even use to charge and sync with at the same time. Expansys sell it for £9.95 - LINK.

EDIT2: Maybe I spoke too soon, looks like it doesn't provide a standard line input socket, just brings the extUSB socket out to attach your standard headset to.

Paul and Shuffle, thanks for the replies.

I am already familiar with Resco. I guess the question is whether the USB jack, even if its plugged into an adapter, would pick up as a mike that Resco could identify as a line-in source, rather than just the built in external mike.

Guest jim.mason
Sounds like a plan then, i'll just determine a suitable venue and we'll go from there!

Norwich centre on a weekday evening?

P

Look forward to it!

Guest ethibault
Hello

I have a question :

Is the cpu powerfull enough so that it is possible to make the most of HSDPA speed ?

The reason of my question is : what would be the point of having a HSDPA connection but a CPU not fast enough to render the difference of speed with say a standard UMTS connection.

I tried a HSDPA connection on a PC an after you don't wan't to surf in UMTS, because HSDPA is DSL (I have a more than 4 Mbtis/s DSL connection) like speed

Could some one having tried the kaiser give me an answer ? I'd appreciate.

May be no one has tested it with HSDPA yet ? because I do not know if it is wide sread outside France ?

Guest Paul (MVP)

I have used it on HSDPA and yes, it feels nice and fast, I can't really give you a more specific measure of 'is the CPU powerful enough'?

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

So it's been just over 2 weeks now since I reviewed the Kaiser, i've had a significant software update for the device, and i've been away on holiday in a usage scenario that I wouldn't normally see... so I thought i'd take this opportunity to list things I like and don't about the Kaiser.

Since i've been pretty much completely positive about it so far, a few things that I don't like...

- Shiny back - yes, i'm still bitching about the fingerprint magnet :P I see the MDA Vario III has a silver back, that might be better!

- Position of soft keys when screen is tilted - when the screen is tilted, it's a little bit difficult to press the buttons for the soft keys, they end up rather close to the screen.

- Camera button - the two stage camera button on the unit I have doesn't feel that good to press, although I am getting a production unit very soon, so i'll see if that's changed!

- Time to autofocus - Autofocus is cool, but it makes the time taken to take a picture that bit longer. It's the price you pay I suppose ;) Having said that, once it takes the pic it's very fast, no delays like on PPCs / SPs of old

- Weak WiFi - the WiFi reception on the Kaiser is weak, although no weaker than my other PPCs. So what I am saying is PPCs in general have weak WiFi. My MacBook, Nokia N800 and Thinkpad blow all my Pocket PCs away for picking up weak signals, I wish this could be improved. (FWIW, my 802.11N equipped MacBook has ridiculously good WiFi).

That's about all I can say bad about it, now onto the good stuff!

- The latest ROM update has given me ultra stable GPS. It works flawlessly, gets a fix very fast, and I used it with TomTom in Florida at least twice a day, every day, with no hiccups. TomTom itself runs schweet on the device.

- This baby is FAST! With the fast CPU and all that RAM, i'll reiterate that it is a great experience. I STILL haven't seen a single out of memory error! :D

- The keyboard is great, but then it was on the Herald / Wing etc. The titling screen is genuinely useful for putting the device on a table and waiting for an operation to complete for example. Very handy for use with apps like TrueConnect too!

- The camera really is excellent.

- The HTC bits in the software are great (more on this below).

In the latest ROM update (which is nearing a release ROM), there are a number of changes. I'm going to populate the 'Software' section of my review, but HTC have included...

- The homescreen UI from the Touch with a few new features, including an update weather engine with many more cities.

- A full version of Opera is in ROM.

- The finger scrolling UI in apps from the Touch is included (although doesn't really work correctly yet).

- A 'Worldcard Mobile' business card OCR app is included (and works great with the camera).

All in all, during my time with the Kaiser so far my admiration for it has grown even more! While on holiday I had data connections disabled, and basically used WiFi hotspots where I found them to triage my mail, and also used the GPS a lot. At home, i've been doing my usual push mail, and interspersed in this has been tons of apps, games etc. that I use on and off through the day. Everything I have thrown at it, it has coped with.

It IS, the ultimate device :)

P

Guest linooliveira

Paul

Thanks for your excelent review.

I am very excited with this HTC Kaiser.

I read somewhere (unfortunately I don't know where) that the Kaiser will get the new TouchFLO screen present in HTC Touch.

Do you know if this information is correct?

Regards from Portugal

Lino

Guest Troxelke
As far as I am aware, the Kaiser will not feature TouchFLO, only some UI elements seen on the HTC Touch.

P

Just check this beautifull picture and you will see what it will be :)

b151796.jpg

and a nice video of it:

One word... BEAAUUUUUUTIFUL :P

Guest Phil_UK

Hi Paul

So it's been just over 2 weeks now since I reviewed the Kaiser, i've had a significant software update for the device, and i've been away on holiday in a usage scenario that I wouldn't normally see... so I thought i'd take this opportunity to list things I like and don't about the Kaiser.

Thank you for the feedback on performance. One thing I wanted to ask, after owning briefly a Toshiba G900 before returning for crashing all the time, is this; is the OS stable, i.e. are you finding you need soft/hard resets every few days? Is the device entering and leaving standby okay? The G900 was terrible for freezing up which some have used WM6 being new as an excuse for it, I just wonder what your experience is with Kaiser?

PS. I think they took your comments on board about the shiny black back, it now appears to be matt in the pictures and video above.

Regards

Phil

Edited by Phil_UK

Guest Yuri Wuensch

Paul, after reviewing the latest pics and video, I am a little disappointed that the Kaiser doesn't have a flash with the camera, especially considering that its predecessor, the TyTN, had one. Any thoughts?

Guest Daniel Barton

By now I think everyone knows the rumor that the Kaiser will be the new AT&T 8925 phone, likely in August. Has anyone heard what plans will be offered with this phone? AT&T (Cingular) has two unlimited data plans - $20 for a SmartPhone and $40 for a PDA phone. They've always said that if the device has a keyboard or stylus then it's a PDA and they charge the $40 plan. That's twice what they are charging for the iPhone and very frustrating to someone like me who has the Cingular 2125 with the $20 unlimited data plan.

Does anyone know if AT&T will be picking up a new WM6 SmartPhone, such as the HTC Erato, Volans or Nike? I'd love to have the Kaiser but the $40 unlimited data plan is expensive.

Thanks, Daniel

Guest Paul (MVP)

Thinking about it more, I think 'TouchFLO' refers to using the finger to scroll around, rather than the fancy 3D interface. The Kaiser build I has includes the scrolly stuff (albeit buggy), just no control panel applet (yet).

P

Guest Syphon Filter

Would it not stand to reason that HTC will make the TouchFlo interface common to all their touchscreen based devices?

Maybe that would be too logical?

Either way, cant wait for this device...

Guest Ale_ers
- The latest ROM update has given me ultra stable GPS. It works flawlessly, gets a fix very fast, and I used it with TomTom in Florida at least twice a day, every day, with no hiccups. TomTom itself runs schweet on the device.

P

Quick question...Are you using Tom Tom 6? The only reason I ask is that has been a big deal about some units working with 5 but not 6.

Guest nforsans

How does it compare with the TyTN? To me the Kaiser is the TyTN on steroids - if you forget about the GPS functionality, would you say it is worth upgrading to the kaiser from the TyTN? Afterall, we already have WM6 for the TyTN, and I have never experienced storage and RAM problems as I've been using it with a 1GB microSD card. What do you think?

Does the Kaiser do the washing up?!!

Guest Troxelke
Your right, the one in the video seems to have TouchFLO!

I'll speak to my contacts...

P

Hi paul, again a nice summary you made today, thanks! If you speak to your contacts again... could you please try to get some info on a release date (for Europe)? I am really getting CRAZY by waiting and waiting....

Thanks!! :)

Guest frydryce
TomTom 6.

P

I know TomTom is a bigger company in the UK, however Garmin is the leader here in the US. Have you had any experience using Garmin software on WM6 yet? Comparing the websites of tomtom and garmin its looking like tomtom is more WM friendly than Garmin is.

Guest ethibault
I have used it on HSDPA and yes, it feels nice and fast, I can't really give you a more specific measure of 'is the CPU powerful enough'?

P

Thanks a lot. you 've anwered my question.

I think, some exceptions apart, there was little progress in PDA CPUs the last 2 or 2 years and a half.

The G900 processor is very close to that of my loox 720 I bought 2 years and a half ago

What has intel been doing for PDA and smartphones ? nothing compared to the centrino family.

I was wondering if with comparable clock frequency and comparable amount of memory

the architecture of the CPU would be innovative enough to make a difference.

At least I can hear the difference between UMTS and HSDPA can be felt and you seem to insist on the fact the kaiser is fast that's good news for me.

Guest mikeeey
By now I think everyone knows the rumor that the Kaiser will be the new AT&T 8925 phone, likely in August. Has anyone heard what plans will be offered with this phone? AT&T (Cingular) has two unlimited data plans - $20 for a SmartPhone and $40 for a PDA phone. They've always said that if the device has a keyboard or stylus then it's a PDA and they charge the $40 plan. That's twice what they are charging for the iPhone and very frustrating to someone like me who has the Cingular 2125 with the $20 unlimited data plan.

Does anyone know if AT&T will be picking up a new WM6 SmartPhone, such as the HTC Erato, Volans or Nike? I'd love to have the Kaiser but the $40 unlimited data plan is expensive.

Thanks, Daniel

im glad to hear august is the release date for the AT&T 8925. August 22nd i believe.

but are u saying that because of the stupid iPhone we now have to pay even more for our pocket pc's and smartphones? this was never an issue before, it was just like buying any phone.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.