Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

@ matt

unstick.wmv

Dead pixels are black, stuck pixels are red, green or blue which is good news for you... stuck pixels are a lot easier to fix. I've encoded the attached video for you which you should be able to play full screen in windows media player. Let it run for a minute or 2 to see if it will unstick the pixel.

I hope it works, stuck pixels are very annoying!

Guest matt sb
@ matt

unstick.wmv

Dead pixels are black, stuck pixels are red, green or blue which is good news for you... stuck pixels are a lot easier to fix. I've encoded the attached video for you which you should be able to play full screen in windows media player. Let it run for a minute or 2 to see if it will unstick the pixel.

I hope it works, stuck pixels are very annoying!

I ran it for a while but it did not work - but I appreciate the help! Anyone else have any ideas?

I'd recommend you try the video every now and again just in case, it doesn't always work first time.

Massaging them out does work but you have to rub it quite hard and I'd be scared to do that on a sexy new T2. :S I've succesfully fixed stuck pixels on LCD monitors using the massage method though, perhaps if the video still doesn't work, and you're brave, you could give it a go!

Were HTC reluctant to do anything? I'd guess they were, I think 1 or 2 stuck pixels on a screen is considered "acceptable". Meh.

Guest matt sb
I'd recommend you try the video every now and again just in case, it doesn't always work first time.

Massaging them out does work but you have to rub it quite hard and I'd be scared to do that on a sexy new T2. :S I've succesfully fixed stuck pixels on LCD monitors using the massage method though, perhaps if the video still doesn't work, and you're brave, you could give it a go!

Were HTC reluctant to do anything? I'd guess they were, I think 1 or 2 stuck pixels on a screen is considered "acceptable". Meh.

No, they were not reluctant - I didn't ask them for a replacement. I had just received it and didn't relish the thought of shipping it back to Europe! Do you think they replace them in the US?

Ouch! I just cancelled my Pre-order with MobilePlanet. Ok, I knew up front that the price was high to begin with but I just got an e-mail that they will have to start charging sales tax in my state (as of Aug. 1st) so that would have added another $70.00+. If Paul's deal will pan out for us in the US, then of course, I can jump on that deal. If not, has anyone ever had any experience with Elite Electronics in Florida? They seem to offer the cheapest pre-order price of $799.95 (where MobilePlanet is now $864.95 + tax).

I really want to be an "early-adopter" especially since AT&T probably won't offer the phone for months (if history plays any part or the Qualcom issue).

Speaking of the Qualcom issue, these online stores in the US that offer pre-ordering don't seem to be affected...or is it just a ploy???

I checked Resellers Ratings which is highly reliable usually (at http://www.resellerratings.com/). THey rate Elite Elec as top notch, while Mobile Planet is only middle of the road.

Bye

Guest stanchion
When you connect to the PC or any USB source which gives electrics it's charging, so while you installing applications the device is in charging. You can charge it with any mini-usb cable.

Actually, I found the answer to this... the weird little extUSB port will actually accept a mini USB connector... i was just afraid to stick it in there because of the different shape... ;)

Guest burrzoo
I checked Resellers Ratings which is highly reliable usually (at http://www.resellerratings.com/). THey rate Elite Elec as top notch, while Mobile Planet is only middle of the road.

Bye

Well that's comforting to hear! Like I've said, my customer service has been good so far. I hope that after I receive the phone, I won't need to contact them. ;) Thanks for the info.

Wow, it seems like an eternity ago that I wrote that post..and my TyTN II in transit as we speak (from Elite too)!

Guest GreginDallas

I'm in Dallas, and I've got a question for my fellow US Americans:

I don't care about the price of an unlocked phone - but since I'm going to use AT&T as my provider either way, what advantages would there be in buying an unlocked phone. (Besides waiting a little longer.)

Thanks for any help (ya'll)!

Well that's comforting to hear! Like I've said, my customer service has been good so far. I hope that after I receive the phone, I won't need to contact them. ;) Thanks for the info.

Wow, it seems like an eternity ago that I wrote that post..and my TyTN II in transit as we speak (from Elite too)!

Paul and all,

Thanks for the great info over the last months, although I crammed it all into one day. I figured I should catch up to find out what was happening. Just like fast-forwarding my PVR, except I could "hear" what was being said.

Sure is great they are shipping finally (after waiting for 1 day now ;-)

Bye

Guest kathryncheng

to all,

has anyone notice that when you change position or sudden movement of tytn II the device seems to have a noticeable flicker or lines especially from ; -- the start taskbar is... can everyone look closely so i could find out if its normal or maybe i have a faulty unit.

thanks to all

Guest Kagenryu
I'm in Dallas, and I've got a question for my fellow US Americans:

I don't care about the price of an unlocked phone - but since I'm going to use AT&T as my provider either way, what advantages would there be in buying an unlocked phone. (Besides waiting a little longer.)

Thanks for any help (ya'll)!

Pros

It's unbranded. (no wierd colors or style changes you may not like)

It has a front VGA camera.

It has the HTC ROM and not the ghey AT&T one.

You get it a month sooner.

Cons

They don't send you a jar of vaseline for the price you have to pay.

Um, that's it I think.

;)

As someone stated previously, as long as you have a 3G SIM from AT&T, it configures the settings automagically. So no worries there! Personally I can't afford $800 right now so I have to wait for the subsidized one... <_<

--

Kage

Guest matt sb
can someone of the new owners can confirm this:

Inside you’ll find:

The HTC TyTN II (obviously)...

[*]Clear screen protector

if they provide a screen protection, this would be great!!!

Yes, it comes with a single screeen protector - stick on variety.

Pros

It's unbranded. (no wierd colors or style changes you may not like)

It has a front VGA camera.

It has the HTC ROM and not the ghey AT&T one.

You get it a month sooner.

Cons

They don't send you a jar of vaseline for the price you have to pay.

Um, that's it I think.

:wub:

As someone stated previously, as long as you have a 3G SIM from AT&T, it configures the settings automagically. So no worries there! Personally I can't afford $800 right now so I have to wait for the subsidized one... <_<

--

Kage

Another disadvantage is that you don't have access to AT&T specific services, such as their music and TV services, and it will be hard to get customer service to help you out with problems (they'll keep saying that the phone is the problem and it's not theirs). Plus, most in-store reps are not that informed about unlocked phones (they're not that informed about anything, really), and tell you all kinds of misinformation such as the data function won't work with a sim (I've been in a store and asked about this already ;) ).

Tony

Can any of the new US owners confirm the plug on the AC Adapter is US? The features list at Elite Electronics says in part:

In the box:

AC adapter (UK plug)

Thanks

Guest burrzoo
Can any of the new US owners confirm the plug on the AC Adapter is US? The features list at Elite Electronics says in part:

In the box:

AC adapter (UK plug)

Thanks

I e-mailed Elite and asked them about this. They responded and will include a UK to US adapter gizmo for the A/C adapter.

Another disadvantage is that you don't have access to AT&T specific services, such as their music and TV services, and it will be hard to get customer service to help you out with problems (they'll keep saying that the phone is the problem and it's not theirs). Plus, most in-store reps are not that informed about unlocked phones (they're not that informed about anything, really), and tell you all kinds of misinformation such as the data function won't work with a sim (I've been in a store and asked about this already ;) ).

Tony

I've got an unlocked version on order this time around for the pro's stated before. I currently have a Cingular branded 8525 TyTn and have been flashing it with non AT&T roms for a while now. I have called AT&T on occasion with a question and they are still helpful with config parameters even when I tell them that I'm not using their rom. Mind you I was just asking for standard config settings and not hardware help.

I don't know if it matters as far as Rom burning is concerned as I'm sure the chefs will most likely have all kinds of mods available over the coming year which will probably allow you to customize which ever Kaiser you own. The AT&T roms are full of apps that I'll never use so I'd just as well get the better looking HTC Version, and hopefully use the front cam in some way someday. Actually is there any 3rd party app that allows access to that cam?? for self portraits or something??

this is a little off-topic...but

i don't know if i've encountered the GPS bug that Paul mentioned but here's my situation: i cannot get the GPS Hardware Port (or COM) settings to "stick" after changing them. for example i can change GPS Program Port to COM4 and it will stick but changing the GPS Hardware Port to COM 7 and clicking OK has no impact. if i reopen the GPS settings, the Hardware Port still shows "(NONE)". and this is after 6 hard resets. funny thing is that is worked when i initially set up my device, then all of a sudden, TT6, GPSTest, MASPWare were all reporting "No GPS Device"... now when i start GPS Test, it scans for GPS and and reports that "GPS is off"... it may be time to pack it up and return it for a replacement... any suggestions would be appreciated.

for all those in the US, i'm on ATT with the HTC version AND the SmartPhone connect plan and the data connection is fast. Tytn II call clarity and call volume is the best I experienced for an HTC PPC. it's very close to the volume/clarity of the Treo 750v and Cing 3125, which for me, have been the best (keep in mind that this is my subjective opinion). tilt screen is great! and i'm not having any problems adjusting to the keyboard. fyi, i never worry about the adapter issue; i've been using a USB adapter/charger from my Wizard and it works fine.

if the GPS was working, all would be well.

Edited by cortez

Guest Syphon Filter
can someone of the new owners can confirm this:

Inside you’ll find:

The HTC TyTN II (obviously)...

<li>Clear screen protector

if they provide a screen protection, this would be great!!!

I dont think you should get excited about the included screen protector, its rubbish. Get yourself a Brando one and thta will be much better.

Guest Brounoh
I dont think you should get excited about the included screen protector, its rubbish. Get yourself a Brando one and thta will be much better.

yep but I have been looking in advance for screen protections...

seems that the ones for the Kaiser are "much more" expensive than for other similar size of screen

Guest Syphon Filter
yep but I have been looking in advance for screen protections...

seems that the ones for the Kaiser are "much more" expensive than for other similar size of screen

I picked up a brando one in town today. It cost the same as the one I bought for my original TyTN over a year ago...

Between £5 and £10 depending on ; -- you shop (ie ebay-online-highstreet).

The brando ones truely are "ultra-clear" as they claim and very robust. The one on my orginal TyTN lasted over a year and probably would have gone on longer.

Guest GreginDallas

Thanks very much for the input. Personally I'm not seeing a big advantage to buying an unlocked phone. And again I'm coming from an I-don't-care-about-the-price point of view. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated though -- still haven't decided.

Hey, how about this: what are the three or four must have accessories?

- Brando screen protector?

- ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.