Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Hightech
I picked up a brando one in town today. It cost the same as the one I bought for my original TyTN over a year ago...

Between £5 and £10 depending on ; -- you shop (ie ebay-online-highstreet).

The brando ones truely are "ultra-clear" as they claim and very robust. The one on my orginal TyTN lasted over a year and probably would have gone on longer.

Is the TyTN II screen exactly the same size of the TyTN ????

Guest Syphon Filter
Is the TyTN II screen exactly the same size of the TyTN ????

Not sure.

The screen protector is not an essential, but it gives me peace of mind...if you are careful and dont mix keys/coins etc with your phone, i dont see why you'd really need a protector. But I do work on various building sites etc and its just a comfort to know its on there...obviously it wont protect it from falling bricks etc ;)

Guest Cooch1000

can the Kaiser work with LogMeIn to access a remote PC like my Dell Axim used to? Or is the OS not the right type? (www.logmein.com) I will buy this phone tomorrow if it can! Someone please test!!!

Guest matt sb
Thanks Burrzoo.

Is there any practical application for the front facing camera in the US on 3G or is it only operable in other parts of the world ; -- they have video calling? Any chance that voip applications will be able to utilize this camera?

Guest gregersdk
Thanks very much for the input. Personally I'm not seeing a big advantage to buying an unlocked phone. And again I'm coming from an I-don't-care-about-the-price point of view. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated though -- still haven't decided.

Hey, how about this: what are the three or four must have accessories?

- Brando screen protector?

- ?

- Mini-usb/3.5 mm converter

(- Stereo bluetooth headset)

(- 4 gb or larger microSD card)

Edited by gregersdk

Guest nuttyphilt
can the Kaiser work with LogMeIn to access a remote PC like my Dell Axim used to? Or is the OS not the right type? (www.logmein.com) I will buy this phone tomorrow if it can! Someone please test!!!

I use LogMeIn on my TyTn I so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work with the TyTn II

is LogMeIn.com similar to GoToMyPC.com? i use GoToMyPC.com on the Kaiser without any problems, the high-speed connection works great. GoToMyPC.com downloads a small program to your PPC to support fast access to remote desktops and/or laptops.

Guest borg.cube
Another disadvantage is that you don't have access to AT&T specific services, such as their music and TV services, and it will be hard to get customer service to help you out with problems (they'll keep saying that the phone is the problem and it's not theirs). Plus, most in-store reps are not that informed about unlocked phones (they're not that informed about anything, really), and tell you all kinds of misinformation such as the data function won't work with a sim (I've been in a store and asked about this already ;) ).

Tony

Actually that's NOT true. I have an 8525 on AT&T right now. The AT&T specific services are just HTML links that you reach through Pocket IE. You need to have the Network settings to go through the MediaNet proxy. I would be glad to post the links (they'll only work on a phone running on the AT&T network with the proxy) and network info if anyone wants.

this is a little off-topic...but

i don't know if i've encountered the GPS bug that Paul mentioned but here's my situation: i cannot get the GPS Hardware Port (or COM) settings to "stick" after changing them. for example i can change GPS Program Port to COM4 and it will stick but changing the GPS Hardware Port to COM 7 and clicking OK has no impact. if i reopen the GPS settings, the Hardware Port still shows "(NONE)". and this is after 6 hard resets. funny thing is that is worked when i initially set up my device, then all of a sudden, TT6, GPSTest, MASPWare were all reporting "No GPS Device"... now when i start GPS Test, it scans for GPS and and reports that "GPS is off"... it may be time to pack it up and return it for a replacement... any suggestions would be appreciated.

for all those in the US, i'm on ATT with the HTC version AND the SmartPhone connect plan and the data connection is fast. Tytn II call clarity and call volume is the best I experienced for an HTC PPC. it's very close to the volume/clarity of the Treo 750v and Cing 3125, which for me, have been the best (keep in mind that this is my subjective opinion). tilt screen is great! and i'm not having any problems adjusting to the keyboard. fyi, i never worry about the adapter issue; i've been using a USB adapter/charger from my Wizard and it works fine.

if the GPS was working, all would be well.

hey Cortez,

I don't have my phone yet and I don't know squat about GPS but does this statement Paul made have any bearing on your problem?

"Use COM4 @ 4800, DON'T fiddle with any of the settings in 'External GPS'!"

Guest borg.cube
Actually that's NOT true. I have an 8525 on AT&T right now. The AT&T specific services are just HTML links that you reach through Pocket IE. You need to have the Network settings to go through the MediaNet proxy. I would be glad to post the links (they'll only work on a phone running on the AT&T network with the proxy) and network info if anyone wants.

See attached PDF for the specifics of the HTML links and setting up the MediaNet proxy. I don't know if that is autoconfigured by the TyTn II when an AT&T SIM is installed.

Using_AT_T_features_on_the_Tytn_II.pdf

Edited by borg.cube

See attached PDF for the specifics of the HTML links and setting up the MediaNet proxy. I don't know if that is autoconfigured by the TyTn II when an AT&T SIM is installed.

WOW! thanks for the write up/details! They may come in handy.

Much appreciated ;)

Guest Kagenryu
- Mini-usb/3.5 mm converter

(- Stereo bluetooth headset)

(- 4 gb or larger microSD card)

Anybody recommend a good Stereo Bluetooth Headset? That is next on my list to get... (already got the 4GB card) ;)

--

Kage

Anybody recommend a good Stereo Bluetooth Headset? That is next on my list to get... (already got the 4GB card) ;)

--

Kage

None of the BT headsets that I've tried are fantastic for listening to stereo music like a fine pair of wired headsets but I still like my BlueTrek ST1 headset. It's perfect for me and not as bulky as some of the headsets out there which are pretty big "can" style. A friend at work has the Lubix that aren't that big and he really likes the sound. Not too tinny. My BlueTrek isin't really tinny either. The BlueTrek are behind the head style:

http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wireless/s...ampaign=froogle

Lubix:

http://www.ubixon.net/english/product/product01.asp

hey Cortez,

I don't have my phone yet and I don't know squat about GPS but does this statement Paul made have any bearing on your problem?

"Use COM4 @ 4800, DON'T fiddle with any of the settings in 'External GPS'!"

completely missed that suggestion. soooo...i performed another hard-reset, didn't fiddle with the settings, installed the new version of TT6 and after 30 minues, GPS kicked in. it's been working great since then. thanks for the suggestion; i don't know if this is the reasone it worked, but GPS is working and i'm very happy now.

Edited by cortez

Guest Special2k3
new question for the owner of the UK TyTn II:

guys, does your rom contains the software "Blackberry Connect" ?

Hello, there is no Blackberry Client in the UK rom. Or i couldn't find one ;)

Guest Syphon Filter

--

Kage

I have these: http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?partner=modaco&i=131639

the new version is out : http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?partner=modaco&i=149111

The ones I have are great.

If you want a wired headphone/handsfree I suggest the HTC one, which I also have: http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?partner=modaco&i=148542

It's just the remote though, you will have to supply your own 3.5mm headphones...

Hello, there is no Blackberry Client in the UK rom. Or i couldn't find one ;)

Special2k3

Ok... I'll install it by myself when I'll have the TyTN II

I guess with O2 BIS it will be find under Blackberry Connect 4.0 for WM6

Guest LaSepultura

BRONX, NY, US 09/10/2007 5:45 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY

Can't wait!

Two quick questions. Are there any browsers for WM6 that have flash support? And are there any YouTube browser/player applications like the iPhone's?

Thanks

Edited by LaSepultura

Guest Cooch1000
I use LogMeIn on my TyTn I so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work with the TyTn II

Thanks for the reply - I guess the only question is now, how long do I stay on my quest for the best price! How.....long.................can I....................HOLD OUT!!!

How about Citrix Metaframe applications (IPA)? I used a Citrix based program to do remote work from home, and I think they have a PPC client (I know the smartphone client is unsupported.) I would be interested to hear from anyone who has attempted to utilize a Citrix client on the Kaiser or older TyTn (resolution, usability, etc...)

Guest bignaz2k

--

Kage

I have been enjoying the Nokia BH-500 that I recently picked up.  It's a pretty old device, but it lets you use your own headphones, so if you have a nice pair, it works really well.  Only caveat, there is no screen, so you will have no caller id, etc.

Guest squiggs1982
this is a little off-topic...but

i don't know if i've encountered the GPS bug that Paul mentioned but here's my situation: i cannot get the GPS Hardware Port (or COM) settings to "stick" after changing them. for example i can change GPS Program Port to COM4 and it will stick but changing the GPS Hardware Port to COM 7 and clicking OK has no impact. if i reopen the GPS settings, the Hardware Port still shows "(NONE)". and this is after 6 hard resets. funny thing is that is worked when i initially set up my device, then all of a sudden, TT6, GPSTest, MASPWare were all reporting "No GPS Device"... now when i start GPS Test, it scans for GPS and and reports that "GPS is off"... it may be time to pack it up and return it for a replacement... any suggestions would be appreciated.

for all those in the US, i'm on ATT with the HTC version AND the SmartPhone connect plan and the data connection is fast. Tytn II call clarity and call volume is the best I experienced for an HTC PPC. it's very close to the volume/clarity of the Treo 750v and Cing 3125, which for me, have been the best (keep in mind that this is my subjective opinion). tilt screen is great! and i'm not having any problems adjusting to the keyboard. fyi, i never worry about the adapter issue; i've been using a USB adapter/charger from my Wizard and it works fine.

if the GPS was working, all would be well.

Cortez, not having exactly the same issues as you, but am definitely having a few of them. My GPS setting won't stick either, but from experience (and also from a comment by Paul elsewhere) changing this is done at your peril!

An type of change that is made to the GPS settings seems to completely wreck them. I have nailed down to Cameraware for the minute - installing seems to render the internal GPS useless with no way of rectifying other than a hard reset - will post another topic about this in the CamerAware forum. Similarly, changing any of the settings in the GPS control panel has the same effect.

What I don't get, however, is a problem connecting to the GPS. What happens is that it seems to connect alright, but I never pick up any sattelites. Additionally and bizarrely, subsequently I can no longer successfully download the QuickGPS updates. It seems to fully download (i.e., gets to 100%) and then says that it was unable to connect and to try again later. Thishas nothing to do with the data connection, rather that it's almost as though it can't connect to the GPS receiver? Not sure how the techicalities of it work, but it's driving me crazy!

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Squiggs

Guest Kagenryu
I have these: http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?partner=modaco&i=131639

the new version is out : http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?partner=modaco&i=149111

The ones I have are great.

If you want a wired headphone/handsfree I suggest the HTC one, which I also have: http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?partner=modaco&i=148542

It's just the remote though, you will have to supply your own 3.5mm headphones...

Thanks. I am looking for no wires, so those Sony ones are kinda weird for being BT but with wires. ;)

--

Kage

Cortez, not having exactly the same issues as you, but am definitely having a few of them. My GPS setting won't stick either, but from experience (and also from a comment by Paul elsewhere) changing this is done at your peril!

An type of change that is made to the GPS settings seems to completely wreck them. I have nailed down to Cameraware for the minute - installing seems to render the internal GPS useless with no way of rectifying other than a hard reset - will post another topic about this in the CamerAware forum. Similarly, changing any of the settings in the GPS control panel has the same effect.

What I don't get, however, is a problem connecting to the GPS. What happens is that it seems to connect alright, but I never pick up any sattelites. Additionally and bizarrely, subsequently I can no longer successfully download the QuickGPS updates. It seems to fully download (i.e., gets to 100%) and then says that it was unable to connect and to try again later. Thishas nothing to do with the data connection, rather that it's almost as though it can't connect to the GPS receiver? Not sure how the techicalities of it work, but it's driving me crazy!

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Squiggs

i had similar experiences... my final solution was to hard-reset, install TT6 from the CD, launch TT6 and wait for it to lock onto satellites. i left mine alone for about 1.5 hours and the powered cycled (off then on) to make sure it still worked. this is the second day and all is well...35 second warm boot locks and 90 sec cold boot locks... i'm happy!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.