Samsung i607 ROM cooking (Also applies to i600)

Guest trinca

Guest trinca

I was trying to cook a modded ROM for the i607, I was able to extract the nb0 from the bin file using cvrtbin & viewbin > then Mamaich's prepare_imgfs > viewimgfs > dump > modify/add/delete files > buildimgfs > makeimgfs and I know this is basically what you do with the Hermes ROM, however making it back to a BIN file has proven to be a "no go". I have tried splitrom.pl, rommaster, xipbin, etc, but I am afraid without the right utility this will not happen.

Does anybody know if there is a Tool to convert the cooked nb0 back into WMx B000F bin file? There is an old tool for Mobilpro xipbin.exe, however the block size and lenght of ROM does not match. Doing the splitting in sectors and retrieving the checksum manually is going to take a lifetime...

Just an idea: Could it be possible to use a blank CE.BIB with only the start and offset of the ROM and MS romimage together with the nb0 file above to recreate the BOOOF image?

Any good ideas are welcome.

Update: You can find more information here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=316647

Edited by trinca

Guest trinca

I tried to use Romimage from MS platform builder, and after many attempts I gave up. I basically used a minimal CE.BIB and the patched ROM (nb0) file as the source to be inserted. It creates the Run-time BIN file with 4K blocks where it should be making it 128Kb ones.

TO Do:

Try an HEX editor with macro or script capabilities, to perform the following process

1.- Strip the HEADER + RECORD section from the original FLASH file

2.- Strip all zeroes preceding the patched ROM (NB0) before the start point

3.- Cut the patched ROM in 128K chunks (about 500 pieces) called blocks or records

4.- Calculate the Checksum 32 of everyone of these chunks and annotate it

5.- Make the HEADER of the RECORD annotating (in little endian) : Start Address - Lenght(Block Size) - Checksum 32 for every record

6.- Join the HEADER to the respective record. Iterate some 500 times until finished

7.- Insert the above joined (HEADER+RECORD) section into the stripped file in step 1

8.- Here comes the scary parteek.gif : flash the phone with this MOD (just the PDA section)

9.- If successful, make a program to automate steps 1 to 7

Wish me good luck...

On other comment: according to Texas Instruments, in the Code Composer Studio for OMAP processors, it can be connected to the phone via a COM port using HyperTerminal. Alternatively I think if we can flash the phone using this method and a ROM type NB0.... Perhaps no, as the flash program just connects to the phone using the Serial port when in Flash mode. This program also accepts img files, I tried to rename the nb0 file to img and didn't work. Does anybody know what these Samsung's img files are?

Is anybody interested on this matter? Please don't just read the post, start replying... If we really want to MOD this phone, being it the BlackJack i607 or the European i600, we need to start doing some Reverse Engineering..., the people at xda-developers had started this way to master the HTC and similars.

Edited by trinca

• 1 year later...
Guest Dominick_7
I was trying to cook a modded ROM for the i607, I was able to extract the nb0 from the bin file using cvrtbin & viewbin > then Mamaich's prepare_imgfs > viewimgfs > dump > modify/add/delete files > buildimgfs > makeimgfs and I know this is basically what you do with the Hermes ROM, however making it back to a BIN file has proven to be a "no go". I have tried splitrom.pl, rommaster, xipbin, etc, but I am afraid without the right utility this will not happen.

Does anybody know if there is a Tool to convert the cooked nb0 back into WMx B000F bin file? There is an old tool for Mobilpro xipbin.exe, however the block size and lenght of ROM does not match. Doing the splitting in sectors and retrieving the checksum manually is going to take a lifetime...

Just an idea: Could it be possible to use a blank CE.BIB with only the start and offset of the ROM and MS romimage together with the nb0 file above to recreate the BOOOF image?

Any good ideas are welcome.

Update: You can find more information here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=316647

Hi this question may be a bit off topic so but I was wondering how you take files, like say in a rom dump and create them into one new img file? I have dumped the ROM for the Samsug i730and have WM6.1 and was wondering how I can create a new image file so as to trick the Official WM5 installer to use this image instead..? I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.