some basic info on Rom / Radio / O.s. interdependency! (apologies up front for stupidity!?)

Guest dt_matthews

Guest dt_matthews

ok, apologies up front but i feel the need to ask some very fundamental questions that i am struggling to find from a search [ probly me searching badly too ;-) ]

1. what is the link between Rom and O.S and Radio - are they one and the same or can you update either independently?

2. What happens when you hard reset? Is it the Rom being 're-deployed' to the device?

3. i have a Lobby 700tv, where is the Dab receiver (tv/radio) program stored, is it part of the Rom, part of the O.S or just an additional program??? I know I have to be careful about Rom discussions i was just interested to know some really basic info!

In an ideal world I would love to get wm6 on my lobster but obviously retain the Dab functionality, it seems this is a total no-go??

Sorry for all the very basic questions but I am very keen to get some knowledge and didnt know how to get over the initial stupidity hurdles!!!

cheers,

dan

Edited by dt_matthews

• 1 month later...
Guest Paul (MVP)

1. You can update them independently generally, although if it's an official ROM you're flashing, it'll generally flash both, and you have the reassurance that both elements have been tested together!

2. All your custom data is cleared, and the device is restored to factory defaults.

3. It is a program in ROM.

WM6 on Lobster is currently a no go. Never say never, however there's not a massive amount of interest around the handset that sold in low volumes, so I wouldn't get your hopes up ;)

P

Guest dt_matthews
That said, there are now Tornado and Hurricane ROMs, so if an enterprising person really wanted to cook a ROM, they probably could...

P

well roll on enterprise ;-)

cheers for the info Paul