- Left soft key set to Phone (a waste), my patch restores it to Calendar

- Default PIE mode is 'One Column' rather than the usual 'Fit to Screen'

I'm now checking out...

- Crappy keyboard response

And will also be looking at...

- What's eating all the memory

- Earpiece volume

- Volume settings lost after soft reset

- Camera program doesn't save settings (!!!!)

- No option to disable camera shutter sound

What else needs fixing? :)

P

Guest galenyip

I've found that when the phone is connected to the PC via USB cable (connect using activesync), if the host PC is power off, the 503G will be hang and soft reset is needed to bring to phone back to normal.

G-

Guest Sean B

Things I have found so far:

--Does not show "3G" or "H" icon on signal indicator--only shows "E" Know I am getting 3G only after connecting to text.dslreports.com (averaging 400Kbs-800Kbs).

--Reception seems to suck, compared with my HTC TyTn, my Samsung Blackjack (ATT branded), and my Dopod C730.

--After soft reset, takes two minutes to register to the network.

--Has hung up once in the past hour that I've owned it. Was doing more than one program at once and it just went dark. Had to take out the battery in order for it to turn on.

--Charging indicator lamp extinguishes when running some programs, even though it seems to still be charging.

On the plus side...

--keyboard seems to be responsive.

--it has a touch screen.

things i encountered :

- when pressing the power button to switch off the backlight - which also normaly locks the other buttons - if you press twice on the phone (green) button, it will launch a call keeping the screen black.

- same as above, when pressing other buttons, you can here the noise they produce.

for me the top power button is normally to lock the touchscreen + all other keys & buttons. i couldn't find the option either in the settings (under buttons normally).

i found a solution though.. changing the camera button to "lock device".

but still, I would prefer the good old way.

- when going to phone->mode changing the option once to GSM - instead of both - now i can't go back to both ( i did install the cab gprs-gors,3g)

- Memory usage is a serious shame.

-

PS : any way to get the HTC Touch theme to work on the 503G ? That would make my day B ( although i do have the SPBShell 1.5.

Edited by SAO

Guest piggity

Interesting enough, I had the "E" only also for the signal indicator. But for whatever reason after using the phone for a few hours, the 3G icon has now come up. Not sure why.

The ROM does seem to be a bit immature for release to the public. Hopefully there is one in the works shortly.

On the plus side, it is quicker than I expected.

One thing that annoys me is the keyboard seems to default to "123", and most of the time when I type in a name to call, etc, I want to use letter.

Guest galenyip

some in expansys forum mentioned that there is a SIM card problem.. I dunno whether this is the solution but it works for me.

I've two SIM card and both are using in other phones. I found that one of it can be used on the 503g while another one can't. I've tried many times, and I get the same result.

But when I examine the SIM carefully, I found that the one which cannot be detected on the 503G is bent. So I think it can't contact with the pins on the 503g properly. I then tried to make it straight by bending it to another side. After several times, it works on the 503g now, without any problem.

The SIM card is bent because of the design of the SIM-slot of the Philips mobile which it was used on before. Different manufacturers have different SIM-slot design and I think the 503g requires a "very flat" SIM to work. Ubiquio's (or TFW) engineers need to tackle this in the future.

Edited by galenyip

Guest Shags7

I and another user (Gilbert1970 I believe) have been having this issue. My 503G does not find a signal or recognize my sim card (I have a 3G SIM card from AT&T), although it works fine with my previous Blackjack and I-mate K-Jam. I called AT&T and Mobile Planet (from whom I purchased the phone) and neither was able to provide any solution. Also, I tried bending the SIM card a bit, but no luck. I then called AT&T again, and they suggested going to the store and getting a new SIM card, so I did - again, no luck. Is anyone currently using the UBiQUiO 503G on the AT&T network such that my phone itself may be defective or is this a Network issue where the phone just is not compatible for whatever reason with the AT&T Network? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

more issues:

- bluetooth dosn't connect wit all devices. ( works fine with my HTC touch , but not my car installation)

- when typing a number fast, not all the keys follow the speed (numerous posts about the keyboard speed recognization have already been discussed)

- battery life isn't superbe

- ring tone to max volume is not loud enough

- cpu sometimes is very slow (maybe due to the memory "leak")

i'm really waiting for that new ROM, as i t think the phone itself has a great package, but agai, the ROM is not finished..

Guest Joshua99
more issues:

- bluetooth dosn't connect wit all devices. ( works fine with my HTC touch , but not my car installation)

- when typing a number fast, not all the keys follow the speed (numerous posts about the keyboard speed recognization have already been discussed)

- battery life isn't superbe

- ring tone to max volume is not loud enough

- cpu sometimes is very slow (maybe due to the memory "leak")

i'm really waiting for that new ROM, as i t think the phone itself has a great package, but agai, the ROM is not finished..

Chargers - Does anyone have a charger that works asside from the one that shipped with the device? I have a couple different USB to Mini USB chargers for the car that do not seem to charge the device. I need to get an additional A/C and a a Car charger cause this thing eats battery fast. Even with no WiFi.

One other thing I notice is when the screen is off from time to time the power buttone will not bring it back. I have to hold the power button like I want to power the device off (as opposed to standby screen off). After the 5 seconds the screen comes on and it asks me if I want to power down the device. I just cancel and things are fine.

Chargers - Does anyone have a charger that works asside from the one that shipped with the device? I have a couple different USB to Mini USB chargers for the car that do not seem to charge the device. I need to get an additional A/C and a a Car charger cause this thing eats battery fast. Even with no WiFi.

One other thing I notice is when the screen is off from time to time the power buttone will not bring it back. I have to hold the power button like I want to power the device off (as opposed to standby screen off). After the 5 seconds the screen comes on and it asks me if I want to power down the device. I just cancel and things are fine.

- motorola chargers seem to work, any how all car ones do.

- same issue with the screen / powerbutton. ++ when u make the camera button the lock button. then sometimes you need to press the lock button again... confusing you say?

new issues :

- Wifi goes on all the time for no reason.

- Bluetooth really is HELL for me, as i am often in my car.. and my Bluetooth set wont connect to the 503G

- Phone usage in the 503G needs to be remaped.

- need an sms "chat" system like the Treo750.

Guest palmop
- motorola chargers seem to work, any how all car ones do.

- same issue with the screen / powerbutton. ++ when u make the camera button the lock button. then sometimes you need to press the lock button again... confusing you say?

new issues :

1. I tried a Motorola Razr charger and it will not charge it, so be careful on what you pick. Also, iGo chargers failed. (all were wall chargers, haven't tried a car charger yet)

2. How do you assign camera button as lock button? I haven't seen "device lock" as an option under Settings - Buttons

Edited by palmop

Guest michehrlich
What else needs fixing? :)

P

- Dropped calls. I thought my device was free of that issue -- have had it for almost two weeks without that problem, but this afternoon suddenly it dropped two calls, and hung each time after that. I must add, though, that shortly before this happened, I had installed Vito TaskSwitcher. Could it be that this has something to do with it? Seems so unlikely, but yet... if TaskSwitcher is causing the Phone application to close or crash... or is doing something else...

- Here's something the product manager told me might be looked at in the future but not for the ROM that is coming with critical fixes, because, sensibly enough, they don't want to delay that for non-critical improvements, so if you can do something about this Paul, that would be really cool: the scroll wheel and keyboard should be active when a call is in progress, whether or not the keypad had been locked when the call came in. Often a call comes in when the keypad is locked, and the "Answer" soft key picks up the call, but then that's it -- you can't, for example, change earpiece volume using the scroll wheel if the keypad had been locked when you answered the call.

- Scroll wheel should control in-call volume with simple scrolling, without the need to press-hold-release first.

- There should be a settings option to allow waking the phone up with the D-pad or other key and not only the power key, which is too finicky and time-consuming.

That's all I can think of so far; may come back with more later.

In spite of the various issues, I'm really liking this device. If issues are addressed and performance increased with a new ROM, I will positively love it.

Guest martinctv

The only issues I seem to be having so far is, the battery never indicates a full charge, even if I leave it charging overnight, it only charges up to about 95%. The other is it freezes quite a bit, and the end call key does not return to the home screen, like my other phones do.

Guest michehrlich
The only issues I seem to be having so far is, the battery never indicates a full charge, even if I leave it charging overnight, it only charges up to about 95%. The other is it freezes quite a bit, and the end call key does not return to the home screen, like my other phones do.

Are you using the charger that came in the box, or charging via USB from a PC? I find that when I do the latter, it doesn't take a full charge, just like you describe, but with the charger that came with the device, it charges fully. I also note that the connector on the "official" charger is slightly different from the standard mini-USB connector -- hold the two next to each other, looking at the ends, and you'll see. I think that must have something to do with it.

Guest martinctv
Are you using the charger that came in the box, or charging via USB from a PC? I find that when I do the latter, it doesn't take a full charge, just like you describe, but with the charger that came with the device, it charges fully. I also note that the connector on the "official" charger is slightly different from the standard mini-USB connector -- hold the two next to each other, looking at the ends, and you'll see. I think that must have something to do with it.

Actually, I am using the charger it came with. It happens if I use the cradle or if I plug it in directly. I have not tried to use another charger.

I find that when I do the latter, it doesn't take a full charge,

+1

my phone fully charges with a motorola car charger also.

unfortunatly, i had to stop using it. for one simple reason : batterie life is not long at all. after 3 -4 calls the phoen would start going strange ( wifi on by itself, bluetooth can't connect with the car installation, etc..). to many cons then pros. shame... waiting for the next rom lets see .

Guest michehrlich
batterie life is not long at all.

Following the indications in the user's manual (yup, I actually R'd part of TFM) I let the battery go through several complete full-discharge/full-recharge cycles, and this did in fact increase battery life. It's still not great -- certainly less than I'm used to. But I'm not able to judge whether it's good or bad for always-on-3G -- as someone else here pointed out, 3G devices do take more juice, especially when the connection is on most or all of the time, as it is likely to be if you have ActiveSync set to notify as items arrive.

Guest cKK123456

Shags I got the same problem! I just swaped over to AT&T from Verizon since work is giving me a VZW phone. I put the SIM card in and it doesn't work! I tried my SIM card in my girlfriends RAZR and it works perfectly fine. The 503G just says "no signal". I have a blue/white SIM card with the orange 3G ball on it. I have already e-mailed mobileplanted (where i purchased it from). I'm just going to return it for a refund. Kind of a bummer. Send me a PM if you find out anything!

~Chris

Guest JackDawsen

I'll second Jonathan99's remark about the battery life being non-existent. At the end of the day, after minimal usage, the battery's at the half-way point. Additionally, I've found that both the AC and Car chargers for the HTC S620 (T-Mobile Dash) work for the device, which was nice.

SAO, I think Wifi is coming on because the device can't get to the Internet through the cell module. At least, I'm pretty sure it is for me. I have a dead spot in my house that I've never seen any phone receive signal in, but the 503G responds by turning on Wifi to sync up with Exchange ActiveSync instead of just puttering around with no signal like every other phone. While that's a nice feature in theory, it annihilates the battery - even if we were given an option to turn that convenience feature off that would be nice because I for one hate it. Wifi is one of the few things I'd like to turn on and off explicitly.

Guest dudegalea
I'll second Jonathan99's remark about the battery life being non-existent. At the end of the day, after minimal usage, the battery's at the half-way point. Additionally, I've found that both the AC and Car chargers for the HTC S620 (T-Mobile Dash) work for the device, which was nice.

SAO, I think Wifi is coming on because the device can't get to the Internet through the cell module. At least, I'm pretty sure it is for me. I have a dead spot in my house that I've never seen any phone receive signal in, but the 503G responds by turning on Wifi to sync up with Exchange ActiveSync instead of just puttering around with no signal like every other phone. While that's a nice feature in theory, it annihilates the battery - even if we were given an option to turn that convenience feature off that would be nice because I for one hate it. Wifi is one of the few things I'd like to turn on and off explicitly.

No wireless feature should ever switch on by itself without your explicit authorisation. Not by default, anyway.

If you get on a plane, you need to be able to guarantee that all wireless facilities are switched off. If there's a chance that your phone may activate itself in the air, you shouldn't take it on the plane at all. Or you should remove the battery before boarding.

Guest Shags7

I got tired of trying different setups and SIM cards, so I just returned the 503G, and got the HTC S630 (Cavalier) instead - works great with the SIM card and everything else - seems to be the same as the 503G, except a bit smaller, lighter, but of course with no touch screen and it is a smart phone as opposed to full PDA Phone.