Vodafone Live Settings?

Guest Odie

I'm trying to get to the Vodafone Live! site so that I can access the "My Account" and "MobileTV" features.

Now I've read up on quite a few links and it appears that Vodafone prevent non-authorised phones to access the site (using the supplied settings I can access all other websites just fine). I have tried quite a few of the suggested registry and connection tweaks to try and fool the Vodafone Live! site into working on Windows Mobile phones:

http://www.clieuk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8928

http://www.talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2406

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=245398

However the furthest I got it to go was to display the Vodafone Live! site as text only. I've since fiddled some more and now it won't work at all and I cannot remember which settings got the text-only site to load.

Can someone please tell me if they've managed to get the Vodafone Live! site (live.vodafone.co.uk) to work on their TyTn II ? and if so, exactly which instructions they followed as far as connection setup and User Agent registry tweaks.

Thanks in advance!

- Odie

Edited by Odie

Guest ub8jayuk
I'm trying to get to the Vodafone Live! site so that I can access the "My Account" and "MobileTV" features.

Now I've read up on quite a few links and it appears that Vodafone prevent non-authorised phones to access the site (using the supplied settings I can access all other websites just fine). I have tried quite a few of the suggested registry and connection tweaks to try and fool the Vodafone Live! site into working on Windows Mobile phones:

http://www.clieuk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8928

http://www.talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2406

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=245398

However the furthest I got it to go was to display the Vodafone Live! site as text only. I've since fiddled some more and now it won't work at all and I cannot remember which settings got the text-only site to load.

Can someone please tell me if they've managed to get the Vodafone Live! site (live.vodafone.co.uk) to work on their TyTn II ? and if so, exactly which instructions they followed as far as connection setup and User Agent registry tweaks.

Thanks in advance!

- Odie

Certain devices are classed as enteprise devices and do not support Vodafone Live!. This check is performed on the network and not done by the handset.

Hope this helps.

Sub69: Thank you very much for your post.

I actually figured this out myself two days ago (was actually going to update the post). I managed to try pretty much every suggestion on the net to get this to work but couldn't get more than the text-only version of the site.

However I then realised that one of my previous phones (Sony Ericsson W950i) was working on Vodafone Live with MobileTV for me last year. So with a bit of a google I found a PDF on the Sony Ericsson website with the UserAgent string and the corresponding XML profile url. These combined with a modified browser.dll file I got from xda-developers did the trick and I've now got Vodafone Live and MobileTV working.

I'd also like to point out that I've not managed to get the "exclusions list" working that's mentioned in some Vodafone Live posts I've seen. i.e setting up the phone to only use the WAP profile for the Vodafone Live site and the Internet profile for all other sites. Sites seem to be ok (mostly loading a mobile optimised version) with the WAP profile so I'll not fiddle with it too much now.

Cheers,

- Odie

Guest Johnkorver
Odie,

This is a total pain in the @rse to fix, but it is possible to do. I've had Vodafone Live and MobileTV running on my Kaiser, so I can promise you it will work if you have the patience and the will!

I've basically done the same thing that I had to do to my Hermes, which was to fake it's user agent string as the Nokia N95 (which was the first phone I could think of that's set up on Vodafone Live servers and has a QVGA screen).

Using a registry editor, change the "CustomBase" entry found in HKLM\Security\Internet Explorer\User Agent. This should be changed to the following:

Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaN95/10.0.010; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413

Then copy the attached browser.dll file into your \Windows directory, overwriting the original (backup first if you want, but the original will 'magically' reappear if you subsequently delete this edited version). This file has just been hex-edited by me to change the user agent string.

Do a soft reset.

Navigate to http://www.useragentstring.com on your Kaiser to make sure that the changes have worked - your Kaiser should be identifying itself as a Nokia N95 if all has gone well...

Now make sure that you're connected via your "Contract WAP" connection and navigate to http://live.vodafone.co.uk hopefully you should see the full graphic version of Vodafone Live! now?

To use MobileTV, you'll need to set the Streaming Video app to automatically connect via "Contract WAP" (it's just a setting in Streaming Video's options menu).

Good luck, let me know if it works for you or if you have any problems with it...

Dear sub69,

Thanks for the extensive manual.

However when I start up IE after putting the browser.dll in the Windows folder I get an error saying that there is no trusted certificate.

Can you please tell me how to solve this? Can you sign the dll?

I use the TyTN II

Many thanks

Guest Johnkorver

It seems that the TyTN II's browser.dll is very different from the one posted in this tread.

Is the one provided here from WM 5?

Maybe someone can post a patched browser.dll from the TyTN II

Actually Johnkorver - you could try changing the following registry entry:

In "HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies" change the value of "0000101a" to "1".

This is the only thing I can think of that may be different between yours and mine - it should get rid of certain security checks... (I actually just use Tweaks2K2 to remove the security notification, but I believe this does the same thing?)

Guest Johnkorver

Thanks for the explanation sub69.

It actually worked and now I am able to see the vodafone home page.

However when I click on a link on the homepage (wsp.live.vodafone.com) It says that I am not allowed to see this content.

The http version (http://live.vodafone.com) doesn't connect at all.

I checked the userstring and it shows nokia N95.

Cannot see what I am doing wrong.

I use the settings for the HTC P4350 on the dutch Vodafone website (see below)

• DE GPRS INSTELLINGEN
  • Kies 'Start'
  • Kies 'Instellingen'
  • Klik op de tab 'Verbindingen
  • Kies 'Verbindingen'
  • Kies 'Vodafone Office - Een nieuwe modemverbinding toevoegen'
  • Kies 'New'
  • Name: Vodafone GPRS
  • Modem: 'Mobiele verbinding (GPRS)'
  • Kies 'Volgende'
  • Naam toegangspunt: office.vodafone.nl of live.vodafone.com
  • Kies 'Volgende'
  • Gebruikersnaam: vodafone
  • Wachtwoord: vodafone
  • Domein: leeg laten
  • De optie 'Geavanceerd' hoeft niet aangeklikt te worden
  • Kies 'Voltooien'
  • Klik op de tab 'Proxy instellingen'
  • Dit netwerk heeft verbinding met internet: aanvinken
  • Dit netwerk gebruikt een proxyserver om verbinding te maken met internet: aanvinken
  • Proxy server: 192.168.251.150
  • Kies 'Geavanceerd'
  • Klik op HTTP
  • Server: 192.168.251.150
  • Poort: 8799
  • Klik op WAP
  • Server: 192.168.251.150
  • Poort: 9201
  • Overige opties leeg laten
  • Klik rechtsboven op 'OK' (3x)

• Klik op 'Start'
    • Kies 'Explorer' om de internetbrowser op te starten
    • Adres: wsp://live.vodafone.com
    • Het toestel zet automatisch een GPRS verbinding op en de Vodafone WAP homepage wordt geladen

Hope you can help me

Thanx in advance

• 3 weeks later...
That's odd, it works on my Kaiser...

The amended browser.dll file I posted here was taken from a dumped pre-production Kaiser ROM that was posted on XDA-Devs a while ago - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=313737

I struggled to extract the .dll from my actual Kaiser when I tried, so I did it the easy way instead, but I'll have another go at extracting the proper .dll, or I'll find a more recent one...

Just to check though, I downloaded the .zip file from this thread again, and using my Kaiser I extracted the .dll to \Windows after a hard reset - then after a soft reset, it worked for me again so I'm at a loss to explain why it's not working for you?

You should just be able to delete it from your \Windows directory if it's messed IE up though, and it'll revert to the original .dll that's in your ROM, so at least there's no harm done...

Sub69 - hope you can help me out here.... I've tried copying the browser file across to the windows directory but I keep getting a write protection/permissions error.... any ideas? I've tried to copy and paste via file explorer on the Kaiser as well as via the PC.... Also I've tried extracting via Winzip on my PC but I can't see the Kaiser from there....

Cheers in advance.

Sub69 - hope you can help me out here.... I've tried copying the browser file across to the windows directory but I keep getting a write protection/permissions error.... any ideas? I've tried to copy and paste via file explorer on the Kaiser as well as via the PC.... Also I've tried extracting via Winzip on my PC but I can't see the Kaiser from there....

Cheers in advance.

Yep, I have now realised that it won't work with the internal file explorer. Resco Explorer allows you to overwrite browser.dll though (and other third-party file explorers will probably work too?)

Guest baldboy

Sub69 - Thanks for the help - I can see the live! page now - although only on live.vodafone.com, not live.vodafone.co.uk - TV works! Brilliant - thanks.

Edited by baldboy

Guest pdkellett

Guys,

Am trying to input the same stuff as mentioned at the beginning of this thread and have a few questions:

(FYI - I have a TYTN II from Vodafone too, it will connect to Vodafone Live but ONLY using the wsp://vodafone.live.com in the browser, and then it only comes back with the text based service)

1. Are the "Custom Base" registry settings you mention the only ones that need to be changed? ie I need to paste the entire "Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaN95/10.0.010; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413" string into the "Custom Base" registry field you refer to?

2. What about this string \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Internet Explorer\User Agent "Custom" which is set to Vodafone/1.0/HTC_Kaiser/1.56.161.4 - do i just leave this one?

3. When i try to enter the registry setting you mention - i get an error message saying "access denied" - is this some security feature i need to override first?

Thanks.

Guest pdkellett

Thanks for this!!

But before i give it a go - dare i ask what it does!!?

Do I still need to perform the Internet Explorer dll hack as well?

Much appreciated.

Paul

Edited by pdkellett

Thanks for this!!

But before i give it a go - dare i ask what it does!!?

Do I still need to perform the Internet Explorer dll hack as well?

Much appreciated.

Paul

It does everything mentioned above, but in a nice simple automatic cab form! (ie: it overwrites the dll, enters necessary string in the registry, and removes the security warning)

Should be no need to do anything else at all.

Just run the cab and reset when it asks you to. Then make sure you're connected with the Vodafone WAP connection, and browse to your Live! homepage. Should work perfectly...

I've only used this on my own device - but I've used it on various ROM's with some / few / no third-party apps installed, and each time it has worked perfectly.

Also, you can just remove it via "Remove Programs" if you need / want to return to your original configuration...

I don't believe it.

You are a genius and a legend.

It worked first time! I'm gobsmacked. You've just made my year...

Thanks again.

Oops, posts crossed...!

Glad it worked for you too!

Guest Loewe538

Now that Vodafone sells the tytn II, is it strange to expect that the browser string of the HTC would be included in Vodafone's accepted devices database by now? Is this a matter of days or months? Anyone exerience with previous devices?

Edited by Loewe538

Is voda live free to browse?

Yes, if you're connected via the WAP connection.

Go to: Start > Settings > Connections > Connections > Advanced > Select Networks, and make sure that the top dropdown box says "Contract WAP"

When you're on a Vodafone Live! page, it'll say "This page is free" near the top, just to confirm. ;)

Now that Vodafone sells the tytn II, is it strange to expect that the browser string of the HTC would be included in Vodafone's accepted devices database by now? Is this a matter of days or months? Anyone exerience with previous devices?

They never updated it for the original TyTN despite it being available as the V1605.

Their "Business" phones aren't generally set up for Live! The exception that I have come across being the Treo, (which I assume is because it was also available through the "Personal" section of the Vodafone Shop?)

By the way, if anyone knows a nice easy way of switching between the "Contract WAP" and "Contract Internet" settings, I'm all ears!?

Edited by sub69

Guest chriswg

Hi, I have installed the CAB file and restarted the PPC (v1615) but it wont connect to Contract WAP or my Vodafone Live WAP settings. It just says "The current connection cannot be used for your request". Any help would be very much appreciated.

Forget that, it turns out if the phone is connected to the PC it wont connect to Contract WAP. Once I had disconnected it it worked fine. Mobile TV on the v1615 - I didnt think I'd see the day! Thanks for everyones great work.

Edited by chriswg