WMDC Sync Troubles

Guest philhaz

My SPV C550 (HTC Hurricane, Windows Mobile 2003 SE) has never had any trouble synchronising data with Activesync on my XP desktop PC.

Now that I have a Vista (business) laptop, I am forced to use WMDC (Windows Mobile Device Center). I plugged in my phone via USB, and after briefly showing up as an "Unidentified Device", Vista found the driver automatically and installed it as a "Smartphone USB Sync" (version 6.1.6965.0). Leaving it plugged in, I then installed WMDC version 6.1. The main GUI came up, and my device connected successfully. I'm able to browse the contents of the device and the storage card, and also add and remove programs.

The problem is that whenever I try to sync my Outlook 2007 data, the response from Vista sync center is merely "Sync Failed". The error proerties window is blank, other than the date and time the error occured. When I disable all options (contacts, calendar, tasks, email) bar one, the error properties window states "Contacts: Attention Required", where "Contacts" is whatever I left enabled. None of these errors appear in the system/application event logs. Disabling all options produces a "successfull" sync, but as you can imagine this is not of much value to me.

I am not using any kind of firewall software (including OneCare), and all the required services are running (including "Windows Mobile-based device connectivity" and "Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity").

Another device (i-mate JASJAR, Windows Mobile 2005) was able to sync successfully first time with no problems at all.

I have so far tried:

- Restarting the laptop

- Soft resetting the phone

- Plugging the phone into different USB ports

- Deleting and re-establishing the partnership

- Reinstalling WMDC

- Reinstalling Office 2007

- Updating the driver for the "Smartphone USB Sync" to various others (both from HTC and Microsoft).

- Hard resetting the phone

All have produced the same result: "Sync Failed". Now I'm out of ideas, and I'd really appreciate some suggestions on this.

• 1 month later...
Guest Bergals

I must say, I've done all of the above and tried disabling firewalls, adding exceptions to virus softwares and what not. I'm going to start twitching soon if I can't find a solution. I'm lost without my calendar.....

;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest longford lion
That's only one extreme solution, WM2003 can sync with Vista ok.

Rather than just providing a bland statement as you have done, why not demonstrate your genius and tell everyone how to sync without trouble.

I have a Orange E650 which will not sync at all and an HP iPAQ travel companion which intermitently will connect but I then have to individually review all my entries to 'force' synchronisation.

One only has to enter the terms "wmdc", "sync" and "problems" into a search to see that there are big problems with WMDC and Vista.

So come on then, if syncing is so easy, tell us all how to do it?

Guest awarner (MVP)

Apart from checking your firewall, I had no problems syncing my C500 and C550 with my vista pc.

There is no secret or technique I used, I just connected it and away it went.

Sometimes it does not like to sync using the usb after I have sync'ed with the JasJar but then all I do is sync over bluetooth instead.