The official HTC Wings (S730) 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest chaznet

What about GPS -- I read somewhere, maybe here, that it was in there somewhere without any antennas hooked up to it -- but that production models might have it -- is it in there???

Just received my shiny new S730 today and have given it a good 10 hour charge before turning it on to make sure the battery is conditioned correctly.

I must just say how bloody FAST it is!

Very impressed with the all round speed of the apps.

Haven't got a connection for another day or so as my SIM doesn't become active until Vodafone transfers my info from Orange.

It's got ROM version 1.31.405.1 if that means anything to anyone.

Guest wasstoned

Ditto on the ROM version, Radio is version 25.62.30.03H_1.58.17.2

Just received my shiny new S730 today and have given it a good 10 hour charge before turning it on to make sure the battery is conditioned correctly.

I must just say how bloody FAST it is!

Very impressed with the all round speed of the apps.

Haven't got a connection for another day or so as my SIM doesn't become active until Vodafone transfers my info from Orange.

It's got ROM version 1.31.405.1 if that means anything to anyone.

My Radio is also the same as yours.

Plus: CE OS 5.2.1622 (Build 18128.0.4.4)

I just got my S730 today, Great device.

Here is low down...

OS CE 5.2.1622 build 181.28.0.4.4

radio 25.62.30.03H_1.58.17.02

RIL version 2.002

CE ROM update version 5.2.1622.18128

ROM version 1.31.405.1

I have no GPS that I can see anywhere. A good unit nevertheless. I hope they will enable GPS in a future ROM update ( windows 6.1 me hopes!!!)

Guest paholman

I'm reading concerning reports about the lack of free memory on this phone. After a reboot, it's only got between 8 - 10 MB free memory available compared to the S710's 23-25MB. (program memory not storage)

Can new owners of the S730 confirm this?

If this is true, then as they say in Dragon's Den...."for that reason....I'm out"

Edited by paholman

I'm reading concerning reports about the lack of free memory on this phone. After a reboot, it's only got between 8 - 10 MB free memory available compared to the S710's 23-25MB. (program memory not storage)

If this is true, then as they say in Dragon's Den...."for that reason....I'm out"

After closing everything in task manager i have 10,936 KB free. Note Ihave Skype for Smartphone installed tho. But still, not a lot of memory.

Does anyone know how I can free up some more memory????

Guest wasstoned

Just rebooted for you and I can confirm I have 14,848, before the reboot it was round the 9 mark

Guest madferret

Got mine yesterday.

No applications running and I've got 6.6MB free! Help...

My 4GB SD arrived today, so I think it's time to reinstall as much as possible on to that.

Guest madferret

Ok, so I realise now that programs go into the 128MB storage memory, not the 64MB RAM! I got my free memory back to 16MB after soft boot. So I just need now to find out what's clogging the thing up.

I've tried using SK Tools Lite, which is supposed to be OK for WM6 Standard but it crashes on the Notifications check. Can anyone think why that might be?

Guest madferret

...and another thing:

I lost 2 calls yesterday - firstly a call went straight to voicemail because the phone was downloading email (GPRS).

Later I was unable to pick up a call when the phone was connected to my PC with Active Sync. I disconnected but the phone froze up. I got the caller to try again about 2 mins later and it worked fine.

Does that sound like normal behaviour with WM6?

Guest wasstoned

I had very bad call quality while taking a call and looking for GPS satellites at the same time using GPSTest software

...and another thing:

I lost 2 calls yesterday - firstly a call went straight to voicemail because the phone was downloading email (GPRS).

Later I was unable to pick up a call when the phone was connected to my PC with Active Sync. I disconnected but the phone froze up. I got the caller to try again about 2 mins later and it worked fine.

Does that sound like normal behaviour with WM6?

Guest Monolithix

Madferret: the first behaviour is normal, GPRS cannot work simultaniously with voice (whereas UMTS can).

The second behaviour i have noticed myself, dis/connecting AS seems to be a real resource hit on WM generally. Usually it sorts itself out after a few seconds but sometimes it can be enough to drop the call completely. Its not common behaviour though afaik...

Guest Paul (MVP)
I had very bad call quality while taking a call and looking for GPS satellites at the same time using GPSTest software

Maybe you've discovered why they aren't supporting GPS then!

:(

P

Guest madferret
Madferret: the first behaviour is normal, GPRS cannot work simultaniously with voice (whereas UMTS can).

Thanks. I knew they won't work together but I'm fairly sure with previous phones (C500, Vario) I've had voice calls interrupt browsing on PIE. Maybe there was a GPRS connection but no data transfer. Or something like that.

In an effort to keep the S730's memory tidy I'm going to try soft resetting at 3am every day (Auto Softreset) and using SKTools to zap the RAM at regular intervals.

Apart from that, a nice phone! Frustrating, though, trying to work out what software will actually work on WM6 Standard...

Guest hotlips69
Thanks. I knew they won't work together but I'm fairly sure with previous phones (C500, Vario) I've had voice calls interrupt browsing on PIE. Maybe there was a GPRS connection but no data transfer. Or something like that.

In an effort to keep the S730's memory tidy I'm going to try soft resetting at 3am every day (Auto Softreset) and using SKTools to zap the RAM at regular intervals.

Apart from that, a nice phone! Frustrating, though, trying to work out what software will actually work on WM6 Standard...

Can you please tell me the difference between a "soft reset" and a hard reset (presumably turn power off then on?) ??

Why not just find out what is auto-starting with Windows and disable/remove any unneeded software to get the RAM back?

Guest toddbud

I have had the phone for 10 days and the memory sucks. I can never seem to get more the 14M free. Also, I remember the phone being marketed as tri-band 3g, but the phone actually uses the 2100MH band which means NO 3G in US. I have been unable to run many programs which require at least 10M of memory free. When I look,nothin is running yet memory is below 10M.

Does anyone know how to free up program memory in WM6?

Guest hotlips69

In the add/remove programs bit, there is nothing at all showing...not even the programs that come pre-installed on the phone or the Windows stuff.

There are lots of programs that I know I will never need and maybe getting rid of some of these will free up some RAM/resources?

Would they be auto-hidden somehow?

I wish I could get into the registry via regedit or similar but don't know how on a smartphone! :(

Guest butzchan
Hi guys, finally HTC S730 in my hand. I have a prerelease version with official HTC rom but with internal GPS ENABLED.

I've tested with TOMTOM NAVIGATOR 6 + fakecursor.

Satellite work and fixed. I selected com 4 with HTCGPSTool.exe and all is good.

I know official rom will disable internal GPS, so if anyone help me to dump this rom (WITH INTERNAL GPS ENABLED) i'll share it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...1801&page=5

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=352146

This place might be able to help. There are a lot of people over there that would love to have GPS working as well as 3G in the US.

Guest wasstoned

Is HTC officially supporting the S730 now? I heard the 20th December was the 'official' release date? Or was it a woomour?

I dropped them a support Q just after I got the phone but no response yet.....they may help with GPS (we can only hope) and memory issuse

On a side point has anyone found WiFi doesn't work if the 3G connection is present? It will connect it just can't use it.

Edited by wasstoned

Hmmm, think I need to get me a production S730...

P

That would be great PAul. I have the S730 as well and it showed about 10 meg of available memory. But yesterday it showed only 7 approx That was with doing refresh after closing all programmes with task manager. Like someone else said here I would delete all unwanted programmes if I knew how to uninstall. I feel this lack of memory (shame on HTC with such a great device in all other ways) really slows things down despite the faster processor.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.