Migrating to a Touch Dual

Guest ror100

Hi all,

After thinking long and hard I've decided to abandon my plans for a TyTn2 and plump for the Touch Dual. Orange have offered me a good package (no I'm not a heavy data user), but one question still persists in my mind. How do I migrate all my contacts, calendar and other stuff from my SPV M600 (HTC Prophet), to the Touch Dual?

Any help gratefully recieved.

Roger

P.S. I got 300 mins, 400 texts, unlimited off peak texts, 1Gb off peak data, free phone, and free broadband for £30 a month on 18 month contract. I'm very happy with that.

Guest Swampie
Hi all,

After thinking long and hard I've decided to abandon my plans for a TyTn2 and plump for the Touch Dual. Orange have offered me a good package (no I'm not a heavy data user), but one question still persists in my mind. How do I migrate all my contacts, calendar and other stuff from my SPV M600 (HTC Prophet), to the Touch Dual?

Any help gratefully recieved.

Roger

P.S. I got 300 mins, 400 texts, unlimited off peak texts, 1Gb off peak data, free phone, and free broadband for £30 a month on 18 month contract. I'm very happy with that.

I just use ActiveSync/WMDC + Outlook. All my contacts, emails calendar etc is in Outlook and will sync again with the new device. For the files and other things not covered by that, just copy onto PC, and then copy onto new device.

Guest Disco Stu

Use ActiveSync to copy your Contacts, Calendar etc to Outlook on your PC then create a new partnership when you get the Touch Dual.

It should also give you a copy of your My Documents folder but everything else will have to be transferred manually.

Thats excellent, it's the way I thought it would happen but I wanted to check. Many thanks to you both.

I'll update with how I'm getting along with the device as it seems to be fairly new, anyone have any ideas when Orange actuallly started shipping these?

Sounds about right, I havent checked the website for a while as I was so set on the TyTn2, but I just wouldn't use all it's finctionality, hence the change to the dual lol.

I'm quite looking forward to having a useable software keyboard, as the lack of this is the only real complaint I have with the propet. The online reviews seem to be positive (apart from the lack of wifi). Also my partner has said he's glad that I'm not getting the TyTn2 as it looks like a housebrick (I've never agreed with that statement, he's just used to his cruddy Nokia's).

Guest Disco Stu

It was the slide-out phonepad that I'd been hankering after but the choice of software keyboards is very impressive.

This is the first Pocket PC I've used since giving up my iMate Jam a year-or-so ago and I love how the stylus is now pretty much redundant in everyday use.

Shame about Nokia-guy though... :(

Having been using the dual since Friday I have to say I am mightily impressed! Fabulous phone, the keypad is amazing, so comfortable to use. Credit must go to HTC for high build quality, and to microsoft for making WM6 nicer than WM5.

And TouchFlo!!! WOW!!! Colleagues at work are amazed that I have an iPhone lol.

My only criticism so far is that the battery life so far has been dismal, and the reception isn't quite as strong as my prophet, hopefully both will improve with a few charge/discharge cycles.

Roger

Guest starstrike

The Touch Dual is exclusive to Orange until 13th December when the HTC sim free version is launched and other variants may well appear in the new year. It shipped November 19th (Monday) as far as I am aware having got mine on the 20th and that was pretty much the earliest I knew anyone to get one.

As for battery try completely running it down before recharging fully a few times. The phone does have the keypad software error as detailed.. Also mine had tripped into a black screen a bit but generally it is a pretty nice device.

Edited by starstrike

Guest Paul (MVP)

Sign up for a free mail2web live (Exchange) account, sync up your contacts / calendar etc. on your old phone, then do the same with your new phone.

Job done, you have an online backup, and you can manage your contacts / calendar online in the future, with changes pushed to your phone :(

P

The Touch Dual is exclusive to Orange until 13th December when the HTC sim free version is launched and other variants may well appear in the new year. It shipped November 19th (Monday) as far as I am aware having got mine on the 20th and that was pretty much the earliest I knew anyone to get one.

As for battery try completely running it down before recharging fully a few times. The phone does have the keypad software error as detailed.. Also mine had tripped into a black screen a bit but generally it is a pretty nice device.

I'll do the battery discharge/recharge thing, but I havent had to do this is many years! Maybe as far back as my Nokia 5110, I thought it was a thing of the past lol.

What is the software keyboard error you mention? I'm using the keypad myself but it'll be useful to know about.

Whats the battery life like on yours?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lonsdale
Sign up for a free mailweb live (Exchange) account, sync up your contacts / calendar etc. on your old phone, then do the same with your new phone.

Job done, you have an online backup, and you can manage your contacts / calendar online in the future, with changes pushed to your phone :(

I've just moved from a Palm Tungsten T3 to a HTC Touch Dual and have been migrating things manually.

Can you point me in the right direction for this mailweb live account?