SPV M700 3G..How?

Guest stuggyg

Guest stuggyg

Hi all,

I currently own a SPV M700 orange mobile on an orange monthly contract, with an orange world monthly add-on (£8pm). This may be very basic, but I have never been able to use 3G, as all my connections are GPRS, do I need to change settings on the SPV...switch it on?...Or does my contract not include the use of 3G? I am unsure about this kind of technology, but I would like to try 3G as GPRS can some times be slow.

Any Info/Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Guest Neil5459

I suppose the first question is : are you in a 3G provisioned area? Have you tried the phone in other areas to see if you get a 3G signal?

If you know you should get 3G, then the next question is: Have you got a proper 3G SIM card? Orange are odd in that they only issue 3G SIM's to users with 3G phones. It may be that you were given a GSM only SIM by mistake? Or did you upgrade from a 'normal' phone and keep the old SIM card? Try going to an Orange shop and asking them to check, or try ringing Customer Services. If you've got the wrong SIm you won't get a 3G connection.

It is unlikely that the phone is switched to GSM only, but possibe. Open the Phone application, then Menu/Options and the Band tab. Make sure both combo boxes are set for Auto.

It's not a contract issue- all 3G enabled phones with a 3G SIM are able to access 3G (and the faster HSDPA, which Orange is rolling out fast in metropolitan areas)

Guest stuggyg

Thanks that has cleared up a lot of things. The SIM is on a SIM ONLY contract and as the SPV M700 is 3g, this makes me think it is indeed the SIM card that does not support 3g, in my opinion orange should distribute 3G SIM cards,especially customers with orange world packages. I will phone customer support and see what they say.

Thanks again

• 1 month later...
Guest smith2001

I have exactly the same problem with my Breeze, 3G phone but 2G sim only contract. i too have argued for hours trying to get a 3G sim for my phone so i can use it and thus be generating more revenue. however each time i get, "You have to have bought a 3G phone and then you'll get a 3G sim"

I even got one guy to send me out a new sim as if i had lost mine and he put it down as a M700 which we know is a 3G device. low and behold a 2G sim arrived. so i have no idea how to get this sorted and i am soon to get a nokia E51 which i won't be able to take full advantage of thanks to orange!

anyone got any updates ?