Watching iPlayer tv from BBC

Guest farkah

Hi there,

recently they announced that you can view bbc content on linux, mac etc as they have a flash based streaming solution now in place.

I can't seem to get this to work on my kaiser.

Is there a trick to getting flash to work under pocket IE?

Cheers.

Guest andrewkeith5
Hi there,

recently they announced that you can view bbc content on linux, mac etc as they have a flash based streaming solution now in place.

Cheers.

iPlayer, like 4od, does not use flash. It uses windows media, and is only available for use on full computers. You will not be able to view iPlayer or 4od content on a mobile device unless you illegally remove the digital rights management.

So basically you can only run it on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Mac OS X, or Linux and NOT mobile versions of these unless you craftily break the law

This is a limitation placed by the program producers, not the BBC/other network themselves.

Oh, and you still need a TV licence too afaik

Edited by andrewkeith5

Guest nuttyphilt
iPlayer, like 4od, does not use flash. It uses windows media, and is only available for use on full computers. You will not be able to view iPlayer or 4od content no a mobile device unless you illegally remove the digital rights management.

This is a limitation placed by the program producers, not the BBC/other network themselves.

I think you'll find that if you go on to the BBC iPlayer website now, they've put up a streaming solution which uses an in-browser Flash player.

Guest andrewkeith5

point taken

about friggin time. their crummy library software never EVER worked for me so its nice to see them use something useful

in taht case shouldnt the youtube hack thing work?

• 6 months later...
Guest Boinng

Did anyone ever figure this out? Is there a way to (legitimately) watch Iplayer shows on our kaisers? I'm sure it's technically possible, and Iphone users have their own special version, so what about us?

There's iPlayer on the wii now (Wii has Flash 7 IIRC) and iPlayer on PC's is not browser specific. Therefore I think there must be a way as youtube works on the Diamond so flash must be present

• 3 months later...
Guest MikeWard1701

You don't actually. You only need a TV licence if you are watching or recording a program whilst it is being broadcast. Since iPlayer (in its current form) is an on-demaind service, it's not broadcast, you request the data (this applies to both downloads and in-browser). The exception to this are items such as the BBC News channels which stream LIVE as it is (near)simultaniously broadcast over terrestrial/cable/satellite.

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help...layer/tvlicence

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help...r/simul_license

Also of interest;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_li..._United_Kingdom

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/

Hope that helps, as a lot of people are confused about when you do and do not need a TV licence.

Edited by MikeWard1701

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Interestingly though Mike, the terms and conditions on the new TV licenses cover you for "mobile devices capable of receiving TV programmes via broadcast or broadband" ... or words to that effect.

Seems they are expanding the coverage of the TV license.

• 2 months later...
Guest theboxman

Doubt it.

If you read the appropriate act of parliament a device which is powered 'soley by it's own means' is perfectly entitled to watch live tv without a license PROVIDED your home address or parental home has a license (that's to say a student can use his parents license. They're probably simply making this explicit rather than requiring you to go and look at the underlying law. (probably with eventual view to misleading and intimidating which is something the TV licensing folks are very keen to do to poor Joe Public - for example you DON'T need to let the TV license people in to inspect your home. They have no power to do so. If you let them in you're doing it VOLINTARILY. Furthermore, they can't get a warrent unless hey have grounds to suspect you have a tv running in there *and* not letting them in is usually not enough for a court to let them in. Also ever bought a TV from asda? They try to get you to register your purchase with the DVLA and WILL NOT SELL YOU IT otherwise. They tell you this is a legal requirement. It's not. Read the small print (or just know the relevant laws) Trying to talk asda out of this is impossible. I'd reccomend just writing a fake address. It's not illegal. They've got no right to demand this information from you and are just trying to make their job easier re having 'reason to suspect you have a tv in there')....The bullies at the TV licensing people who send those of us who don't have TVs (from time to time I don't) threatening letters, pester us, and treat us like criminals really irritate me.

So students you can happily stream from a mobile device with impunity (provided you're NOT charging it at the same time as it's nolonger powered 'soley by it's own means'). Same applies to hand-held tvs.

Hope that clarifies matters.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi there,

Cheers.

I watch BBC Iplayer with my kaiser using skyfire. http://get.skyfire.com/

• 1 month later...