Enable 320x240 video recording on the Q9H

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

It's easy!

Just change the following registry entry FROM 2 TO 3...

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Pictures\Camera\OEM\VideoProfile\OptionNum

:D

Now, if only I could enable VGA recording... :(

P

1. of course....maybe along with the button mappings and links.

sorry, either i am new at this (just got the phone yesterday), or Im dumb as s@#t. How do you get there, for someone that doesn't know what the hell they are doing. :(

Guest theothermj
sorry, either i am new at this (just got the phone yesterday), or Im dumb as s@#t. How do you get there, for someone that doesn't know what the hell they are doing. :(

You need a registry editor. Try searching for PHM registy editor. There are others, but this one is free.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Panthro
It's easy!

Just change the following registry entry FROM 2 TO 3...

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Pictures\Camera\OEM\VideoProfile\OptionNum

:D

Now, if only I could enable VGA recording... :(

P

Not that easy for me ....

There is so many things listed here.

I've got ...

HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Pictures\Camera\OEM\VideoProfile\

Here I have folders 1 , 2 , 3 (not OptionNum ).

And within each of those folders (1/2/3) I have ....

in folder "1" I've got ...

AudioEncoderCLSID

CaptureColorFrom...

MuxCLSID

PreviewColorForm...

PreviewFrameInter...

VideoCaptureFram... (I'm thinking video frame capture, but my value is 0 not 2).

VideoEncoderCLSID

VideoEncoderProp...

So what do I do?

BTW, I've got a Motorola Q9h AT&T model.

Guest dwboston
Not that easy for me ....

There is so many things listed here.

I've got ...

HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Pictures\Camera\OEM\VideoProfile\

Here I have folders 1 , 2 , 3 (not OptionNum ).

And within each of those folders (1/2/3) I have ....

in folder "1" I've got ...

AudioEncoderCLSID

CaptureColorFrom...

MuxCLSID

PreviewColorForm...

PreviewFrameInter...

VideoCaptureFram... (I'm thinking video frame capture, but my value is 0 not 2).

VideoEncoderCLSID

VideoEncoderProp...

So what do I do?

BTW, I've got a Motorola Q9h AT&T model.

In the screen where you see the folders "1", "2", and "3", move the cursor to highlight folder 3, but instead of selecting Folder 3, hit the top left softkey which should be labeled "Values". Then you will see OptionNum, select that and change the value from 2 to 3. Do the same for folders 1 and 2 if they aren't already set to value of 3 (I think they already are).

Edited by dwboston

Guest Panthro
In the screen where you see the folders "1", "2", and "3", move the cursor to highlight folder 3, but instead of selecting Folder 3, hit the top left softkey which should be labeled "Values". Then you will see OptionNum, select that and change the value from 2 to 3. Do the same for folders 1 and 2 if they aren't already set to value of 3 (I think they already are).

DUDE ... pure GENIOUS!

THANK you, THANK YOU!

That DID it.

Also you are correct that folders 2 & 3 if highlighted and clicking Values is already set to 3.

I'm content!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 88Saleen351

Does this work on a Motorola Q9M on Verizons network? Currently there isn't a device specific for q9m on modaco. I am asking this because I recently tweaked the crap out of the camera registry settings.Trying to get 320x240 video record.I sort of did get this to work.But it is not usable.Either I get a recording that is only doing 1 - 3 frames a second or it records a small 27 kb file regardless of how long I actually recorded for.Playing this file results in 2 seconds of video followed by 10 - 20 seconds of a still image.Any ideas?

• 2 months later...
Guest cgerikh

I tried this out and yes I'm able to record @ that res (after you switch res option that's now available), but the playback is really bad/choppy. I tampered with the playback options (full screen or not) and still the same result.

You guys are getting smooth playback? Do I need to edit anythign in #3 in the registry for framerate or such?

Guest cgerikh

Ah I figured it out. 88Saleen this will probably work for you also.

Go back to the registry/almost the same place but a bit deeper instead:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Pictures\Camera\OEM\VideoProfile\3\VideoEncoderProperty\3\ and edit the VideoPropertyVT value to something like 10 (mine was set to 45)

At least from starters that game me OK playback. I'm sure you can tamper in there with those settings & get it to give you desirable results.

I'll continue to snoop in there & see if I can improve things further.

Hope that helps :D

• 1 month later...
Guest LuvrGirl
Ah I figured it out. 88Saleen this will probably work for you also.

Go back to the registry/almost the same place but a bit deeper instead:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Pictures\Camera\OEM\VideoProfile\3\VideoEncoderProperty\3\ and edit the VideoPropertyVT value to something like 10 (mine was set to 45)

At least from starters that game me OK playback. I'm sure you can tamper in there with those settings & get it to give you desirable results.

I'll continue to snoop in there & see if I can improve things further.

Hope that helps :D

Any updates on this? I did the hack to enable the 320x240 option to record video clips in... however, the quality isn't that great. Has anybody figured out any other tweaks in this section of the registry to give better "quality" recording for video clips?

I found this somewhere else, but I have the Q9h with AT&T and I have the 3 folders labeled, 1,2,3, and each one has options... how do I know which one to edit? Why are there so many folders with all the same entries in each folder?

Increase Video Bitrate from 128 to 512

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Pictures/Camera/OEM

VideoEncoderProperty/1

This is the property for BITRATE

Edit the Key VidoepropertyValue (Yes, it is spelled Vidoe on the key)

Default is approx 128kbps, I have modified up to 512kbps (512000)

Any help is appreciated!

~maria