Anti-Virus for Smartphone

Guest Reado

Guest Neil5459

I don't wish to sound facetious, but don't bother!

There are currently very few viruses for teh WM platform- those that are around seem to have been created as tests by the AV companies. Also, the Smartphone platform is better protected by the inherent sofware, so it's not worth wasting valuable memory and processor resouces.

If there ever seems to be a serious threat, these forums will be the first to inform you!

As a precaution though, make sure you keep Bluetooth turned off, or at least Undiscoverable when you don't need it.

I think if there ever is a risk it lays with picking up a virus on a Smartphone via WiFi which is then transferred to a PC using activesync. It's a bit like modern cars where the security is so good that people are using other ideas such as using various methods to obtain the keys. PC security is now very good too. :(

Guest Magnetic_dud

There is Avast for PDAs.

But his virus database it's only 1kb big.

How many virus can detect with a database that is 1024 bytes?

Maybe there are 3 virus around for windows mobile :(

Surely, all of 3 are just proof-of-concept

• 3 months later...
Guest Dragonracer614
I had a WM2002 pda and stuck antivirus on it and regretted it. There's no point

That must have suck alot to regret it. :D

but isnt it smart to scan the file for virus first before installing it into your phone??? :(

Guest Neil5459

Maybe smart but not necessary!

Both the major AV players, in an article in PC PRo this moth admit there is virtually NO threat at present to WM devices. 98% of mobile threats have been in the Symbian platform, and ALL of them are related to Bluetooth propagation. There are not even 'viruses' as we know them, but 'malware' which has to be specifically installed

• 1 year later...