Finally... the Microsoft utility for configuring GPSID on Smartphone

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ayorika
gpsidsp.png
Well well... i've been bleating on for *ever* about how hard done by Smartphone users are compared to their Pocket PC counterparts with no UI in the OS to configure the GPS Intermediary Driver (GPSID), and what happens? One springs up!

It turns out that a GPSID configuration utility that exactly mirrors the Pocket PC version is nestling away in the 'Tools' directory of the Windows Mobile 6 Standard SDK Refresh! If you're a BlackJack II owner, a Motorola Q9H owner or basically anyone wanting to configure GPS on a Smartphone, then you NEED this utility!

I don't think it's really fair to make you download a >200MB SDK install just to get hold of it, so (because i'm nice like that) i've packaged the application up into a lovely CAB file, which is attached below.

Enjoy, and Microsoft - better late than never eh? :(

P

Microsoft_Smartphone_GPSID_Settings.cab

I'm getting a little bit desperate now. I got BJ II. Did hard reset. Basiaclly got rid of everyting and started from scratch. First i installed Microsoft_Smartphone_GPSID_Settings.cab. Then opened it and changed the GPS settings to the following:

Program Port COM4

Hardware Port: none

Baud rate: 9600.

Manage Automatically: check

Then I installed Efficasoft GPS Utilities (trial version) and in GPS set up set it to COM4 and baud rate 9600. Then I start GPS and immediately receive a message "Unable to connect GPS receiver (0x08200a07". Then I went back and changed COM from 4 to 1. Left baud rate at 9600. Now when I start GPS the satelite icon flashes for about 10-15 seconds and then ERROR message: Receive GPS data timeout. I tried it at several locations outside my house on the street. It just doesn't work. PLease help me to set this thing up. Am I doing everything right? Maybe I'm doing some kind of mistake.

Guest Sed8ed

well the GPSID seemed to kill my GPS connection. I fire up GPStest now and nothing!!! Dead. Cant uninstall GPSID. I had just the hack installed for com 4 on my BJII and GPStest and it worked everytime....now it doesnt see the GPS on any com. i have restarted device, tried to uninstall GPSID (cant) rebooted countless times and nothing. So unhappy now....

I have tried countless setups (com port configs with hardware port and program port for com 4) nothing....silence. A scan with GPStest and it just flies throught the com ports. Wish I never added the GPSID driver as it seems ot have taken over the device.

I initially had it set up like a previous poster who had it working well...didnt work for me.

Wish I could get rid of GPSID but i cant. I uninstalled and rebooted...still there but not in add remove. It still works and runs but cant get rid of it.

Any ideas?? Reg removal!!!

Guest Paul (MVP)

This CAB doesn't install the GPSID driver, it just installs an app to configure it.

There is no registry removal, it's just an app in the program files dir and a start menu shortcut.

P

Guest Sed8ed
This CAB doesn't install the GPSID driver, it just installs an app to configure it.

There is no registry removal, it's just an app in the program files dir and a start menu shortcut.

P

Thanks Paul...I'll get on it.

Guest ayorika

W/google maps BJ II is working fine, when its set up to locate GPS satelites w/windows help. It takes about 10 seconds to locate GPS. but when i use Efficasoft it can't find GPS.

Please help I installed Microsoft_Smartphone_GPSID_Settings.cab and changed settings to COM 4 and 9600 also tried COM 1 and COM 3 still not working. Do I have to install GPSActivator too. Another question is about GPS Test, what is it for. Why do I want to install it on my BJ II. Any respond would be highly appreciated

thanks

Guest thelostsoul

You do not need to install the GPSActivator too. I removed it prior to installing this.

However, here's the setup that works perfectly for me:

Program Port: COM4

Hardware Port: NONE

Baud rate: 38400

CHECK "Managed automatically"

GPS Test is an application that will not timeout if it can't find a signal. I find it's the best app to use to initiate a connection. In addition, I'm pretty sure it is unable to use the intermediate driver, which means its a good way to see if you have your COMs setup correctly and working.

Guest nickcornaglia

I use Paul's CamerAware for the same purpose. It doesnt time out so it initializes the GPS well. As an extra bonus, in it's free state, it's a cool app to track your journeys and view on the internet...and if you are in the UK...the whole speed camera alerts as well (that functionality requires you to pay for the service). But the free portion is very cool on its own.

Guest Dennis L

After finally figuring out how to load a cab, I got this loaded on to my Motorola Q 9h (Windows Mobile 6)with a warning that this program was written for an earlier version of the operating system and might not work. Sure enough I get an error message when running the app "Error Closing Key".

Guest DogFace

After making adjustments with Settings.exe, do you have to reboot your phone? Or can you go directly back go Gmaps or MLsearch and change their GPS settings and have it work?

Thx!

You do not need to install the GPSActivator too. I removed it prior to installing this.

However, here's the setup that works perfectly for me:

Program Port: COM4

Hardware Port: NONE

Baud rate: 38400

CHECK "Managed automatically"

GPS Test is an application that will not timeout if it can't find a signal. I find it's the best app to use to initiate a connection. In addition, I'm pretty sure it is unable to use the intermediate driver, which means its a good way to see if you have your COMs setup correctly and working.

Guest Chris Gutz
gpsidsp.png
Well well... i've been bleating on for *ever* about how hard done by Smartphone users are compared to their Pocket PC counterparts with no UI in the OS to configure the GPS Intermediary Driver (GPSID), and what happens? One springs up!

It turns out that a GPSID configuration utility that exactly mirrors the Pocket PC version is nestling away in the 'Tools' directory of the Windows Mobile 6 Standard SDK Refresh! If you're a BlackJack II owner, a Motorola Q9H owner or basically anyone wanting to configure GPS on a Smartphone, then you NEED this utility!

I don't think it's really fair to make you download a >200MB SDK install just to get hold of it, so (because i'm nice like that) i've packaged the application up into a lovely CAB file, which is attached below.

Enjoy, and Microsoft - better late than never eh? :(

P

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just got my BJII and have had no luck getting the GPS to work. I've read just about every thread, but no one seems to have the problem I do. Below are the steps i've taken to attempt to get a GPS signal out of this phone:

1. Installed GPS Activator, set to COM 4 and multiple baud rates. Installed GPS Test, set to COM4, but it just hangs (stopped after 20 mintues) (GPS Starting)

2. Went to location outside with no obstructions, took out the battery, reinserted the battery and tried step one (1) again with no luck (GPS Starting)

3. Performed a hard reset on the phone and repeated step one (1) and still same result (GPS Starting).

4. Tried install google maps, set to COM4 and GPS search timed out.

5. Uninstalled everything, performed a hard reset (format), installed GPSID configuration utility above as directed and reinstalled GPS Test and now GPS Test keeps scanning and not locking onto COM4. Even tried setting GPS Test to COM4, but it never works.

6. As a last resort, I uninstalled everything again, did a hard reset, removed the battery and started the phone . I actually purchased a 1 month subscription to Telenav to get this thing to work...but of course, it did not. It keeps saying GPS signal is too week or no GPS device installed. If i go under the Compass application in TeleNav, it just states (NO GPS).

Does anyone have any advice? Is there any way to tell if the GPS is activated or even working in the BJII?

Guest smjneal

:( I don't understand how to properly install your CAB file on my BJ2. Please explain.

smjneal

gpsidsp.png

Enjoy, and Microsoft - better late than never eh? :D

P

Guest Chris Gutz
:( I don't understand how to properly install your CAB file on my BJ2. Please explain.

smjneal

The easiest way is to download to your workstation and copy over to your MyDocuments directory on your BJII via Active Sync. After the copy is complete, navigate to the folder on your black jack and select the file to run.

well the GPSID seemed to kill my GPS connection. I fire up GPStest now and nothing!!! Dead. Cant uninstall GPSID. I had just the hack installed for com 4 on my BJII and GPStest and it worked everytime....now it doesnt see the GPS on any com. i have restarted device, tried to uninstall GPSID (cant) rebooted countless times and nothing. So unhappy now....

I have tried countless setups (com port configs with hardware port and program port for com 4) nothing....silence. A scan with GPStest and it just flies throught the com ports. Wish I never added the GPSID driver as it seems ot have taken over the device.

I initially had it set up like a previous poster who had it working well...didnt work for me.

Wish I could get rid of GPSID but i cant. I uninstalled and rebooted...still there but not in add remove. It still works and runs but cant get rid of it.

Any ideas?? Reg removal!!!

Unless it's a GPS hardware defect in your phone, your BJII may not be completely unlocked for all this to work.

I would completely application unlock your BJII by applying SDA_ApplicationUnlock (exe) first, SurrealNetworks App Unlock (cab) second and secpolicies (cab) third [see ICS implementation for BJII at Howard].

Reboot after each step.

OMAPClock, ICS, GPS Test, GPSID Settings, WLS and Google Maps work perfectly on my BJII!

Edited by sb0611

Guest BRaVO503

why is this needed if gmaps and wls work with the intermediate driver, is it just for other programs that cant use the driver or is it just faster to connect?

Guest thelostsoul
why is this needed if gmaps and wls work with the intermediate driver, is it just for other programs that cant use the driver or is it just faster to connect?

It's for programs that need a com port (some do) and/or because it allows you to change the baud rate which can boost performance to some extent. Though I found it to cause more problems on the BJII than it does solve...

I've never been able to get Efficasoft to work with the BJII. Whether I use the GPS Activator or this GPSID Utilities.

I'm getting a little bit desperate now. I got BJ II. Did hard reset. Basiaclly got rid of everyting and started from scratch. First i installed Microsoft_Smartphone_GPSID_Settings.cab. Then opened it and changed the GPS settings to the following:

Program Port COM4

Hardware Port: none

Baud rate: 9600.

Manage Automatically: check

Then I installed Efficasoft GPS Utilities (trial version) and in GPS set up set it to COM4 and baud rate 9600. Then I start GPS and immediately receive a message "Unable to connect GPS receiver (0x08200a07". Then I went back and changed COM from 4 to 1. Left baud rate at 9600. Now when I start GPS the satelite icon flashes for about 10-15 seconds and then ERROR message: Receive GPS data timeout. I tried it at several locations outside my house on the street. It just doesn't work. PLease help me to set this thing up. Am I doing everything right? Maybe I'm doing some kind of mistake.

Everything is working great except the icon. On my BJII I added the info to the reg and did not get anything. What else is in HKLM\Services\LCAService any other entries?

Thanks,

SeanH

Guest nickcornaglia
Everything is working great except the icon. On my BJII I added the info to the reg and did not get anything. What else is in HKLM\Services\LCAService any other entries?

Thanks,

SeanH

There is a DLL on the Q9h called LCAService.dll

Along with that there is a whole bunch of registry settings that go along with it.

The app has something to do with the GPS implementation on the Q9h.

Since you dont have a Q9h...the dll, other support files and the rest of the registry entries are not on your phone...and it wouldnt work.

Guest nickcornaglia
It's for programs that need a com port (some do) and/or because it allows you to change the baud rate which can boost performance to some extent. Though I found it to cause more problems on the BJII than it does solve...

I had the BJ2 a week before I got the Q9h. The GPS implementation on both devices is poor, IMO...but the BJ2's implementation is another notch down from the Q9h's

Most GPS apps need a com port. Some apps want it to come from a BT receiver (like Mapopolis) anwont work at all no matter what unless connected via BT receiver.

I dont know why effica wouldnt work on the BJ2....but I couldnt get it to work either while I had it.

Definitely two different software impleentations of GPS on both devices. Like I said...neither is done well...but I had more problems with the BJ2.

There is a DLL on the Q9h called LCAService.dll....

Thanks, I did not know that.

I wish I could get my BJ II to work with MS Pocket Streets 2006 (build 13.0.15.2900). It does not have an option to config a com port. When you click on Start GPS I believe it does not look for a GPS on a com port it looks for a Bluetooth device that might have a GPS.

If anyone has info on making this work it would be greatly appreciated.

SeanH

Guest nickcornaglia

To answer an earlier post....I think there re two differnt GPSTest programs.

One is freeware available on Smartphone.net

One is in the Windows folder of the BJ2.

They may be the same apps, but I didnt have the BJ2 long enough t find it there.

What I can say is that neither (or the same app) does anything other than what the name says...TEST GPS.

It connects, finds satellites, and shows some basic GPS information. nothing else, unless thats all you need.

The one benefit of the app is that it continually tries to connect to GPS without timing out. Handy for cold booting the GPS service on te phone. Personally, I use CamerAware for that as it does the same thing for me.

One cool thing about GPS Test is the color schemes. I like te bright green on back like old monochrome monitors. Which I could make the whole phone that was as a novelty.

I do not understand why Microsoft would screw this up. On an older 8525 running WM5 the implantation was perfect. You can configure your GPS using a tool like this and all the apps worked prefect.

On WM6 Smartphone edition there different implementations on different devices. It does not make sense.

SeanH

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.