Last.fm player for Windows Mobile hits Beta

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
lastfmmobile.jpg
File this under the 'I don't use this service, but everyone assures me this is cool and worth talking about' category... but Last.fm have announced a Beta of their dedicated player for Windows Mobile.

Available in Beta form from the Last.fm forums, the client is available for both Pocket PC Professional and Smartphone Standard devices, and requires .net Compact Framework 2.0 (preinstalled on recent devices).

So come on peeps... fill me in? How does last.fm work? Are you a fan? :)

P

[Via / image courtesy of: PocketPCThoughts]

Guest Monolithix

Right, a strange service for a number of reasons.

Simply put - it allows you to listen to artists you like via a number of media players - this is the Last.fm radio, however you can not (apparently) choose specific tracks. The twist however is in the "scrobbling" service. This client runs on your PC (and now WinMo device) and monitors your listening habbits, submitting them the the Last.fm servers allowing them to choose similar artists for your personal radio stream. The Win Mo client now allows scrobbling on your handset and (experimentally on PPC) listening to the Last.fm radio.

Looks like it could be a cool alternative to syncing music to your phone (once the radio is fully functional), assuming you have an unlimited data plan, of course :D

Last.fm wiki page :): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last.fm

Guest agent.m
Right, a strange service for a number of reasons.

Simply put - it allows you to listen to artists you like via a number of media players - this is the Last.fm radio, however you can not (apparently) choose specific tracks. The twist however is in the "scrobbling" service. This client runs on your PC (and now WinMo device) and monitors your listening habbits, submitting them the the Last.fm servers allowing them to choose similar artists for your personal radio stream. The Win Mo client now allows scrobbling on your handset and (experimentally on PPC) listening to the Last.fm radio.

Looks like it could be a cool alternative to syncing music to your phone (once the radio is fully functional), assuming you have an unlimited data plan, of course :)

Last.fm wiki page :D: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last.fm

Yeah!!! What Mono says :D

I tried it on may facebook thingy for a week or so. Its ok. Not a "Must Have" in my honest opinion. But im willing give it a try and eat my hat if im wrong :D

It's a very good way to discover new artists. Based on what music you listen to it will start you give you very accurate recommendations for artists that you'd never come across otherwise. Personally I never bother with the radio bit but just check my recommendations every now and again and play some of the tracks from those artists to see what I think of them. I've found some great new music over the last couple of years, but since I've started listening to most of my music on mobile devices I haven't scrobbled for a while now and I could do with finding something new. It's just a pity it doesn't work with the HTC audio manager yet.

I've been using this app for a while on my TyTn II, works a treat.

If you're into Last.fm then this app is a must as to be honest if you're anything like me most of your listening to music is on the move (also now use my TyTn as my main source of music in the car as well just so I get to scrobble all my listening!)

The app is great. The question is really whether you see the point of Last.fm (As well as reasons elsewhere in the thread there is also the concept of looking what people with similar music habits to you listen to as well)

Guest Monolithix

Over HSDPA - the radio works absolutely great. Can't really tell how well the scrobbling is working though (been messing with the web/windows player this evening). Think it's staying on my device though :)

Guest WearTheFoxHat

I use Last.FM on iTunes, it keeps track of my listening habits both played via iTunes to the remote speakers, but also on the iPod. LastFM then has my profile which tells me what ive been listening to lately and also recommends artists I might like.

It also links into facebook, myspace, other social networking sites, and has a plugin for blogs and personal websites. So you can show friends that you've been listening to far too much S-Club7 lately!

Guest branded

Hey ya'll...

Just want to shamelessly plug the web interface I designed, code mostly stolen or ported from the LastFMProxy and the php player.

Check it out at http://lastfmmobile.profusehost.net

Once the client you all are speaking of here is stable, although viable as an alternate method, my nice little program will be obsolete. But, until then, enjoy it on almost any "web enabled device."

Edited by branded

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.