Firmware update bricked my phone - Beware!!

Guest trickinit

Guest trickinit

I downloaded the update and went to install it and don't really know what went wrong. I made sure to back everything up first (thankfully) and followed the installation wizard's prompts. When it got to the screen that showed the status of the installation, my phone rebooted itself before showing any progress. This caused the installation wizard to display an error that the connection to my Shadow had been lost. Now my phone is stuck on this screen. I tried a hard reset, but it won't get past this screen, even when I hold down the soft keys while powering it on. I'm at a loss. I called T-Mobile's tech support, and they had no idea what is wrong. The update is still so new that they didn't even know how to troubleshoot it. Now I have to wait 3 days for a new Shadow which is being shipped to me at my expense. :) I'm really kind of upset about this, especially as a T-Mobile employee.

Has anyone else had any trouble? Or heard of anything like this?

post-325095-1202445292_thumb.jpg

Guest jennyfur
you probably didnt put the right IMEI in. im assuming the update is IMEI specific do to the NCK values on the phones.

I didn't put the right IMEI number in and my update worked just fine (I followed the directions for the download that said to get your IMEI off the phone, not from behind the battery. So I was using a 17 digit number instead of the 15 digit one they wanted. I just ended up leaving off the last two numbers. Didn't seem to matter though).

Guest azbreeze99

I had the exact same happen with my phone as well - bricked and a new one was sent.

That said, when I went to download the update to the new phone, I took the SD card out and it worked great. Frustrating for sure, however, I really appreciate the T-mo support I got for it and they issued me a new phone.

Sticky situation - but if it helps anyone, super!

• 2 weeks later...

it isnt brocked. your right its only the bottloader mode.

if you cant flash the ROM on that menu, enter recovery mode (left+right softkeys + power on) and press the call button the the select button (this will erase everything but your phone will work after it)

NOTE: by the left+right softkeys im talking about the softkeys above the Home and Back buttons.

Guest trickinit
it isnt brocked. your right its only the bottloader mode.

if you cant flash the ROM on that menu, enter recovery mode (left+right softkeys + power on) and press the call button the the select button (this will erase everything but your phone will work after it)

NOTE: by the left+right softkeys im talking about the softkeys above the Home and Back buttons.

Right.. now if you guys look up to the top of the post you'll see that a solution was posted, and I got it back up and running more than 2 weeks ago. Thanks anyways.

And by the way, doing a hard reset didn't work, it still wouldn't go past that screen. All that had to be done was to restart my pc. The reason the install didn't work at first was because my memory card being in the phone messed it up. To avoid the whole mess, you just have to take your memory card out first.

Guest deyanimay
wow! even i knew that you'd have to remove your micro sd card, that was PRETTY slow on your part. :)

Hey cut the guy some slack, if i remeber correctly your the one who thought the shadow could replace a tv remote even though it doesn't have an ir port.

Guest trickinit
Hey cut the guy some slack, if i remeber correctly your the one who thought the shadow could replace a tv remote even though it doesn't have an ir port.

Good call man. Honestly, I should've thought about taking out the memory card, but I just followed the instructions that came with the update. I also did the update within hours of it being released, so I didn't have other peoples' mistakes to learn from.

Guest badbob001
Good call man. Honestly, I should've thought about taking out the memory card, but I just followed the instructions that came with the update. I also did the update within hours of it being released, so I didn't have other peoples' mistakes to learn from.

The problem is that the SD card removal instructions are on the download page and not in the actual firmware program:

post-121168-1204124569_thumb.png