HTC Class Action - success?

Guest Boinng

The latest news over on HTCClassAction.org is that none other than Peter Chou, Chief Exec of HTC, has confirmed that a driver patch for the Tytn II is coming, hopefully by the end of March.

If true, this certainly seems to exonerate the approach taken by the site, and those that organised it at XDA Devs. With no legal action necessary, the publicity storm they generated appears to have gotten the message across to the very highest in the company - who obviously concede that there is a problem worth fixing.

It'll be interesting to see if certain people here bother to download the patch if/when it becomes available, given some of the views expressed here on the "idiots" on that other forum...

Guest Paul (MVP)
It'll be interesting to see if certain people here bother to download the patch if/when it becomes available, given some of the views expressed here on the "idiots" on that other forum...

I don't remember anyone saying they wouldn't download something that would improve performance on the device, I do remember a number of people saying that they considered their device performance satisfactory to the extent they wouldn't be selling it off at the earliest opportunity.

I also don't remember anyone calling people on other forums 'idiots', but feel free to correct me on both counts if wrong :)

It is good news tho if it is the case, anything that improves a device has to be good!

P

I don't remember anyone saying they wouldn't download something that would improve performance on the device, I do remember a number of people saying that they considered their device performance satisfactory to the extent they wouldn't be selling it off at the earliest opportunity.

I also don't remember anyone calling people on other forums 'idiots', but feel free to correct me on both counts if wrong :)

It is good news tho if it is the case, anything that improves a device has to be good!

P

I with Paul.

I do think the video on the Kaiser is rubbish, it is not really a feature I use much so it didn't bother me.

However if this thing improves matters what's to complain about?

Also it is a victory to the consumer!! and demonstrates the power of the internet!!

Guest Phil_UK

Hi

The email is unofficial, the source is unconfirmed.

If HTC were coming out with a fix they would state this officially on their website. With all the negative publicity they are hardly going to just email one individual with the good news surely?

Until his statement appears officially on the HTC website it is nothing more than viral marketing, created to water down the negative publicity or someone's idea of a strange hoax.

Remember, the source of the email has not been given, yes someone may have check the headers and it appears genuine but quite frankly that says nothing, an email is just a text document that can be changed at will and headers prove zero.

The HTC Class action website shouldn't be giving this unconfirmed probably fake email publicity, until it is 100% official, and we will only know that for sure when it appears on HTC's website.

Regards

Phil

Edited by Phil_UK

Guest WearTheFoxHat

I agree that being a victory to the consumer is a good thing. It shows that companies should provide what people want, and if they arent happy, then stand up and say so.

Guest creamhackered
Hi

The email is unofficial, the source is unconfirmed.

If HTC were coming out with a fix they would state this officially on their website. With all the negative publicity they are hardly going to just email one individual with the good news surely?

Until his statement appears officially on the HTC website it is nothing more than viral marketing, created to water down the negative publicity or someone's idea of a strange hoax.

Remember, the source of the email has not been given, yes someone may have check the headers and it appears genuine but quite frankly that says nothing, an email is just a text document that can be changed at will and headers prove zero.

The HTC Class action website shouldn't be giving this unconfirmed probably fake email publicity, until it is 100% official, and we will only know that for sure when it appears on HTC's website.

Regards

Phil

Headers actually mean a lot. If it has come from HTC based servers then it would have likely been sent via their Exchange servers. Unless the person has an ex account with full admin on the domain then it's impossible someone could have spoofed it...

Guest Phil_UK

Hi

Headers actually mean a lot. If it has come from HTC based servers then it would have likely been sent via their Exchange servers. Unless the person has an ex account with full admin on the domain then it's impossible someone could have spoofed it...

The only way it could be confirmed the email is genuine is if it was digitally signed by a certificate that could be validated as being from the guy himself. If you had received the email directly or I had, we would know the headers and IP addresses were likely genuine and had not been tampered with, however this email has just been forwarded to various web sites from someone "who claims" it was received genuinely by them, it is that fact that can not be confirmed, they could have just made it up using Notepad or altered the text of a different email from HTC.

Why would the HTC chief executive confirm they are fixing the problems with an email to a single individual rather than officially to everyone via the HTC website? Doesn't ring true does it?

My guess is the email is a spoof by some kid who is just interested to see how far it goes, it would be great to be proved wrong, but the whole thing just smacks of a silly hoax.

Regards

Phil

Edited by Phil_UK

Guest Malt_Vinegar

If the majority of users are unaware of the issues, they would not want to overly publicise it. The way that mail has come out means it will be seen mainly by the affected users only.

This potientally reduces the impact of this event.

If it was a false e-mail and i was the spoofed sender, i would be pretty quick to quash it!!

Guest jimbouk

Whether its true or not... the comments on this site about the classaction reflected the views of some members here, myself included, about some of the suggestions made on the classaction thread at xda.

I don't think you will find anyone who pointed out that they were happy with their Kaisers said they wouldn't download the drivers should they be provided. What they complained about (and laughed at sometimes) was the extreme behaviour.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Hmm don't you think that should HTC actually provide a driver for proper hardware support, then they would insist on taking ownership of the ClassAction website to ensure it is no longer defamatory.

Guest Stuart_f

It's a little early to declare success. That can only be decided once the code in released and the extent of the improvement benchmarked.

This link on Engaget Mobile says they have received independent "confirmation" that the fix isn't a driver for the hardware at all but actually just a tweak. There's no coverage of this on HTCClassAction.org which is being remarkably pro-HTC right now.

Whether its true or not... the comments on this site about the classaction reflected the views of some members here, myself included, about some of the suggestions made on the classaction thread at xda.

I don't think you will find anyone who pointed out that they were happy with their Kaisers said they wouldn't download the drivers should they be provided. What they complained about (and laughed at sometimes) was the extreme behaviour.

The "extreme behaviour" that now seems to have brought results. The point is, without all the noise made about this issue, the chances are there'd be no drivers for the likes of you to download.

Guest Webreaper
The "extreme behaviour" that now seems to have brought results. The point is, without all the noise made about this issue, the chances are there'd be no drivers for the likes of you to download.

Let's wait and see exactly what HTC actually provide, eh, before assuming they're going to turn the world on its head performance-wise with the next driver release. :) </sceptic>

Let's wait and see exactly what HTC actually provide, eh, before assuming they're going to turn the world on its head performance-wise with the next driver release. :)

Oh I agree, this may all come to very little, but at least something is happening, and it's in direct response to the action that some were in disagreement with. If it results in any improvement (and it's not likely to worsen matters) then that to me is a clear vindication of the "extreme behaviour" others have been complaining about here.

Guest jimbouk

My comments were not about the sensible actions. I just found the deliberate slagging off in reviews, suggestions that everyone spam HTC's email addresses and various other guerilla tactics distasteful.