How to install and USE .net Compact Framework 3.5 WITHOUT upgrading your ROM.

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest shedmeister

Sooopurb! I'd followed all the MS instructions and nothing worked. Then I tried this. And it's worked a charm.

Ultimately, it's this kind of thing that'll significantly impact Microsoft's dominance. I'm confident with searching the 'net, taking a risk and having a go. Most PC and Mobile users aren't (why should they/I have too?), which is why Android/Google OC and iPhone/Mac devices/systems will appeal more and more and, eventually, take more market share. Why does it take a third party service, such as this, to make the upgrade to 3.5 possible?

But a big thank you for doing what the world's biggest corporation couldn't!

Guest Vipul Anand

Thanks Dear,

it was piece of cake to getting Anderoidkid going on my HTC Touch... after installing the 2 cabs you provided... it was easy....

Guest Marco76
If you're a developer or have knowledge of .net Compact Framework, you'll be aware that version 3.5 has shipped. You'll be aware that it offers a number of enhancements in features, stability and performance, and you'll likely also know that it provides full backwards compatability with previous versions of the Compact Framework. What you may NOT know is that when CF 3.5 is installed on a device, applications that target previous versions of the Compact Framework will continue to run against the old versions, and 3.5 and previous versions will live side by side on the device. Only when new devices come along will we see ONLY 3.5 on a device.

This presents a number of problems, namely

• Users who deploy CF 3.5 to their device but use applications targeting older versions will not benefit from the 3.5 performance improvements
  • Developers who develop apps for pre CF 3.5 frameworks cannot easily test their applications ready for when 3.5 only devices come along

Thankfully, help is at hand in the form of a little known Compact Framework 3.5 powertoy named '.Net Configuration'. The application, which is available in this download at Microsoft, provides the user with full granularity of control over the .net CF on their device. You can see installed versions, change the used CF version for a particular application or change the used CF version for all applications run on your device! Perfect!

Sadly in Microsoft's infinite wisdom the application in question is tucked away in simple EXE inside the 6.2MB download and somewhat hard to find, so i've taken the liberty of packaging it up into a CAB here that installs it with it's own Start Menu shortcut. I've also included the .net CF 3.5 CAB below, so you can get your device updated quickly and easily by...

- Downloading and installing both CABs below (to internal memory!)

- Running '.Net Configuration' from your Start Menu

- Navigating to the 'Device Policy' tab and selecting version 3.5

- Selecting 'Apply' then 'OK'

That's it, you're done! You can even check it's working by installing my CamerAware Beta and hitting 'About', after which you should see the screen below.

Enjoy, and hope this is useful :)

P

PS If you ARE a developer, there's other goodies in that Powertoys package that are well worth a look too!

netcfcfg.cab

NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab

cf351.jpgcf352.jpg

..............awesome apps. man i really needed these...had spent over a couple of months trying to do this and finaly got it... thanks very much...

Guest techpastor
If you're a developer or have knowledge of .net Compact Framework, you'll be aware that version 3.5 has shipped. You'll be aware that it offers a number of enhancements in features, stability and performance, and you'll likely also know that it provides full backwards compatability with previous versions of the Compact Framework. What you may NOT know is that when CF 3.5 is installed on a device, applications that target previous versions of the Compact Framework will continue to run against the old versions, and 3.5 and previous versions will live side by side on the device. Only when new devices come along will we see ONLY 3.5 on a device.

• Users who deploy CF 3.5 to their device but use applications targeting older versions will not benefit from the 3.5 performance improvements
  • Developers who develop apps for pre CF 3.5 frameworks cannot easily test their applications ready for when 3.5 only devices come along

Thankfully, help is at hand in the form of a little known Compact Framework 3.5 powertoy named '.Net Configuration'. The application, which is available in this download at Microsoft, provides the user with full granularity of control over the .net CF on their device. You can see installed versions, change the used CF version for a particular application or change the used CF version for all applications run on your device! Perfect!

Sadly in Microsoft's infinite wisdom the application in question is tucked away in simple EXE inside the 6.2MB download and somewhat hard to find, so i've taken the liberty of packaging it up into a CAB here that installs it with it's own Start Menu shortcut. I've also included the .net CF 3.5 CAB below, so you can get your device updated quickly and easily by...

That's it, you're done! You can even check it's working by installing my CamerAware Beta and hitting 'About', after which you should see the screen below.

P

PS If you ARE a developer, there's other goodies in that Powertoys package that are well worth a look too!

netcfcfg.cab

NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab

cf351.jpgcf352.jpg

.Net Compact Framework doesn't show up in either the device policy dropdown or the application policy dropdown. i'm using the htc pure (manila 2.1) can you tell me what i'm doing wrong. i'm a bit of a noob so please forgive me if i'm asking something that you've already covered.

thanks in advance,

~isaac

Guest techpastor

Thanks Paul!

worked like a charm, you are absolutely the man. i'm running on an HTC Pure from At&t. i believe manila 2.1 and once i got the .net CF downloaded and installed then the weather city editor from here worked great. i could add my own (very) small town.

thanks for posting man!

~isaac

Guest boresight2

Awesome post saved the last three hairs on my head

Many thanks paul. Installed the two files,followed your instructions

BOSH job done......... :)

Guest deatrapurplern

P

netcfcfg.cab

NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab

thank you for the great app and simple to follow directions! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gary Crutcher

Paul,

The version you show a snapshot of..is it the most recent version?

I have NetCf v3.5.9198.00 on my Omnia 2, using a JA5 ROM (win 6.5 classic).

I looked at the registry in the dump of my rom and it is v3.5.9198.00.

Edited by Gary Crutcher

Guest CritterTech

I realize this thread is old, but the cab downloads worked perfectly in my asus a626, no other way was able to work, thank you to whom ever put those together.

CritterTech

Enjoy, and hope this is useful :D

P

netcfcfg.cab

NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab

cf351.jpgcf352.jpg

Thank you very much for the easy to use cab and instructions. Saved me hours of searching. Works like a charm on my HTC Pure running 6.5 and now I can run nearly every program from OpnMarket. THX!

Guest Tazza2727

Paul,

I am a technical luddite when it comes to Mobiles but these instructions were brilliant. I had to tried to use Windows Update on my Xperia X1 but this doesn't work because of some UTC Time zone issue ( happens on all of my colleagues phones too) so I was a bit concerned as I couldn't run some new apps I had downloaded. Your update fixed all of those problems

Thanks

:D

Enjoy, and hope this is useful :D

P

netcfcfg.cab

NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab

cf351.jpgcf352.jpg

CAB will not install on my device. It says unable to install - an older version is already installed ???

Just like when using MS downloaded .Net framework - exe thing...??

:D Any idea ?? Hope for help... Thanks in advance.. It is WM 6.5...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TyTNic

• :(

Enjoy, and hope this is useful :(

P

netcfcfg.cab

NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab

Thank you very much.

I own the HD2 and I'd already tried to install it from microsoft and some other sites but with no result.

You were my last hope before giving up. Now everything is o.k.

Thanks again!

Guest lvloazzalvl

Hey there..

I wanted .net compact frame work on my htc tytII or kraiser after I installed the vga drivers for hardware acceleration for games like cod2 .. First I installed the drivers and tried to ruk d3d application on my device I got failed. Then I searched over internet and found that .net framework 3.5 has to be installed for d3d acceleration. when I install the framework the D3d application still wont run ? what should I doo

Guest jerseywurzel

Hi Paul,

I was directed here from TiltMobile, because I was trying to run programs from OpnMarket on my HTC Touch Pro 2, but ran into this needing .net compact error. Being computer literate is NOT the same as installing these things ona mobile for me; I`m still learning. But with the instructions from Tilt Mobile, your cabs and instructions, made it a painless, and suceesful, endeavour.

Many, many thanks! <_<

jerseywurzel

Edited by jerseywurzel

Guest lujerneta

Enjoy, and hope this is useful ;)

P

netcfcfg.cab

NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab

cf351.jpgcf352.jpg

New on this forum :)

I can't install it on my HTC HD2 (French). I get the error message :

"Installation error. Stop all applications and processes, maximize available storage space, and run installation again. Support info: 2".

I tried to install the french & English versions.

I have read all the posts & tried some solutions proposed but without success.

Can someone help me ?

Thank you in advance.

Guest Ghanashyam
Hi, I have installed Net CF 2.0. After I downloaded the below cab files, it is saying that the file is not a valid windows ce setup file. Are the below cabs not compatible with PocketPC 2003 (or are they compressed cabs) ? Another program called SafeModeReset also gives the same error..Can you please help me out?

I was able to install the Camerware app without any problems. However, the .net CF 3.5 cab's above don;t seem to be compatible with WM2003 SE (the one I have). So I searched around and found NETCFv35.ppc.armv4.cab on rapidshare which I was able to install properly :)

Hope this helps someone with similar issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.