Using Orange M3100 or '3' PAYG

Guest Sul...

Guest Sul...

I've been with Orange for about a decade now and I've finally grown tired of them. Tired enough to leave anyway (but not just yet due to contracts :D )

Anyway, I have a M3100 and I also bought one of those PAYG Skype phones from 3. I absolutely love the Skype phone and also the extras. Anyway, I digress. What I'm really getting at is as soon as my contract is over I was thinking of transferring my number over to 3 and using their PAYG service.

The main questions I'm asking though is...

1. Has anyone done this?
  2. Was is a good move?
  3. What extras can you use from 3?
  4. Does Skype work ok?
Any other advice would be great. Also the best option to unlock the phone would be great to. I have already upgraded to WM6 (Black Satin) if that makes a difference.

Many Thanks.

Edited by Sul...

the 3 PAYG 3G Internet service works fine on a TyTn, but check reception where you plan to use it. Mine, in north London, was GPRS only and I couldn't get any internet connection. Where I did get 3G it was fine, and it's *meant* to work on the GPRS connection, but for some reason PAYG customers are having trouble. Best way to find out is to get a PAYG SIM card. Get it from a 3 shop and ask to top up at the same time, they waive the £2 for the sim and you can put just £10 on it. Then go home, register it, go online and buy the Internet Addon, it just ocmes out of the £10 credit. You get a week for £2.50 or a month for £5. Then play. The settings for the network are simple, there's a cab for it floating around, here and on xda.

I decided to stay on contract with TMobile in the end, but only due to the reception problem. In fact 3 are meant to be getting on TMob's 3G masts soon, so the problem might go away, Tmob have very good 3G coverage.

I've been with Orange for about a decade now and I've finally grown tired of them. Tired enough to leave anyway (but not just yet due to contracts :D )

Anyway, I have a M3100 and I also bought one of those PAYG Skype phones from 3. I absolutely love the Skype phone and also the extras. Anyway, I digress. What I'm really getting at is as soon as my contract is over I was thinking of transferring my number over to 3 and using their PAYG service.

1. Has anyone done this?
  2. Was is a good move?
  4. Does Skype work ok?
Any other advice would be great. Also the best option to unlock the phone would be great to. I have already upgraded to WM6 (Black Satin) if that makes a difference.

Many Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest stockbroker

1. Has anyone done this?
  2. Was is a good move?
  4. Does Skype work ok?

Many Thanks.

Guest Sul...
@Sul...

Please remove the offensive word within the subtitle. Kids use this forum. Do lawyers from Orange??

Removed. It wasn't that bad. Only the 'B' word :D Anyway...

I unlocked my phone, put in a 3G network PAYG sim with £10 credit, bought the £5 30 days internet data package and it all works BRILLIANT!

Messengers work, Skype works, emails, browsing, twitter, everything. It's superb. I also got an 8GB SD card and brilliant Pocket Player.

All in all this is a superb option, the only thing I can complain about is that I can't view some of the 3G pages, but I can check my account balance and other stuff so that's ok.

Guest mintfresh
Removed. It wasn't that bad. Only the 'B' word :D Anyway...

I unlocked my phone, put in a 3G network PAYG sim with £10 credit, bought the £5 30 days internet data package and it all works BRILLIANT!

Messengers work, Skype works, emails, browsing, twitter, everything. It's superb. I also got an 8GB SD card and brilliant Pocket Player.

All in all this is a superb option, the only thing I can complain about is that I can't view some of the 3G pages, but I can check my account balance and other stuff so that's ok.

I'm looking at moving to 3 PAYG from T-mobile with my Vario II. Just wondering how you are getting on, and are there any issues I should be aware of?

I have unlocked my phone sucessfully(as far as I know, havn't actually got any other SIM's to try) Do I need to do anything else? Or can I just go get a 3 sim and thats about it?

Heard that you might get charged differently for data when no on 3G network, is this true?

Also, how do I go about moving my number over to the new SIM. Is it a case of buying the SIM and then doing something, or do I need my PAC code when buying the SIM?

Thanks in advance.

*Edit* Whats the deal with Skye on 3? Can I get the Skype application for my Vario and then make free calls to other Skype users? Is this idependant of any data charges? Are their Skype mobiles any good as well?

Edited by mintfresh

hi chaps

I've moved over to a pay monthly on 3 and hope to use my 3100 which is now unlocked.

Can anyone please tell me exactly which settings I need to change/create please?

I'm guessing I need to just put in a new network for three.co.uk and leave it at that?

any help greatly appreciated.

Saif.