Orange £1 Daily Web Bundle for Laptop Access

Guest jayz1220

Guest jayz1220

Hello Everyone,

I could not see any posts from anyone wrt the £1 daily bundle so I thougth I would ask the question.

I had data removed from my orange contract a few months back (dont use it on the mobile anymore). Today, I decided that I needed to access the internet on my laptop and decided I would try out the Orange daily bundle.

I was surprised to see the mobile connect at HSDPA speed and purchased the bundle via the Orange World portal. I began using the service on my laptop and it was very quick, even faster than Tmobile's (I usually use a tmobile payg sim and take advantage of their £1 tariff for unlimited access UMTS only).

My concern is that Orange will bill me for using my laptop (stopped using the service after it had transferred ~40mb and went back to the tmobile sim).

Can anyone confirm for me if the £1 daily bundle is truely unlimited?

Thanks

JP

Guest Mysterious Stranger

I had orange world unlimited previosuly on my contract, when that expired I started using a PAYG sim with the £1/day or £5/month bundles and they've never cared how much I cain it for data. I use a PCMCIA card into a phoebus router to share the connection over ethernet and wifi and I get stonking speeds...

What device are you using to connect with?

M.S

Guest jayz1220

Hey Guys,

So I am using my M3100 atm to connect with. Surprisingly, I was only able to achieve a GPRS connection with the PAYG sim, but was able to gain HSDPA with my contract sim. What connection type do you get with your PAYG sim M.S?

WRT Notifying Orange of access, yes I do still have to request access from orange, but they have made a nice web interface to request it, a few clicks and they apply it to your account.

Regards,

Hey Guys,

So I am using my M3100 atm to connect with. Surprisingly, I was only able to achieve a GPRS connection with the PAYG sim, but was able to gain HSDPA with my contract sim. What connection type do you get with your PAYG sim M.S?

Defo HSDPA. You do need a specific 3g PAYG sim though. These are £5 from orange shops as opposed to the other PAYG sims they give away.

M.S

Guest jayz1220
Defo HSDPA. You do need a specific 3g PAYG sim though. These are £5 from orange shops as opposed to the other PAYG sims they give away.

M.S

Ah, so the £5 data sims will be UMTS enabled? I am thinking of cancelling my contract and moving it to PAYg as i do not use it much at all anymore (have another contract for voice now), but i would like to keep the number and leave the call divert on. Would i be able to use the "Data Sim" for voice too?

Finally, am I correct in assuming that you still need to go onto the Orange World wap page to request the £1 day bundle, or the £5 evening/weekend bundle.

Thanks M.S.

Guest Confucious

If you are changing why not go to T-Mo? You don't have to notify them each day, it's just capped at £1/day. Also, you will not be able to port from an O contract to O PAYG without porting out to someone else first (I believe this is still the case - you'd better check)

O are also the only company that still have 3G and non 3G SIMs - no one else differentiates. And O charge for messenger on their phones...

Also, you will not be able to port from an O contract to O PAYG without porting out to someone else first (I believe this is still the case - you'd better check)

Nope, if you ask to cancel they offer to send you a PAYG sim 'as it's quicker' than 28 days notice cutoff. Just got one. Can't tell yet if it's a 2.5 or 3g one though.

PAYG customer is better than no customer at all...

M.S

And they ported your no? Bet it's 2.5 G (or lower :D)

They will when I ring up or it just gets cut off in a few days. Sim looks like my 3g orange sim.

Checking the simcard number with international numbering plans:

http://www.numberingplans.com/?page=analysis⊂=simnr

gives:

Information on SIM card number

Network name Railtrack

Operator name Network Rail Infrastructure Limited

Country or global network United Kingdom

MCC-MNC 234-12

Orange is 234-33 / 234-34. How odd. Methinks the database is out of date. Wonder why railtrack has their own network ID?

M.S

Guest zarquon
Wonder why railtrack has their own network ID?

It should probably be changed to Network Rail now and my guess is it is for GSM-R, which is the Railway's new secure radio network enabling singlers to driver communication etc.

It is been in the planning for about 7 or 8 years and has been recently trailed in parts of Scotland. The roll-out across the network is over the next few years.

Edited by zarquon

It should probably be changed to Network Rail now and my guess is it is for GSM-R, which is the Railway's new secure radio network enabling singlers to driver communication etc.

It is been in the planning for about 7 or 8 years and has been recently trailed in parts of Scotland. The roll-out across the network is over the next few years.

Possibly, but it doesn't explain why a PAYG orange sim is provisioned to them unless the database is out of date and a sim range has been re-allocated to orange from N.R.

I used to work for Railtrack's IT but that was many years ago and unconnected to my phone account. When the Selby GNER crash happened orange provided mobile data video phones pre-3g for site reconnisance so there is a history that may explain it - if there is shared infrastructure.

M.S

Guest zarquon

Sounds like a dirty database to me as you suggest. Or a left over from an early trial... or who provided/provides GNER/NXEC wifi, that's a combination of satellite and gsm I think.

I like trains :D , I read a couple of train magazines (The UK railways are the best soap opera going) but my knowledge is not deep enough to know where to look for a definitive answer on this. I think I should probably stop now and go and attend to my SQL2005 server.