Palm Treo 800w Specs leaked

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
treo800_product.jpg
Leaky leaky... courtesy of Engadget, feast your eyes on some juicy deets re: the forthcoming Palm Treo 800w!

The devices seems to feature WinMo 6.1 (of course) - with Palm's usual customisations - including a prettier threaded SMS app, a 333 MHz processor, a 320x320 square screen, a 2 MegaPixel (yawn) camera, WiFi and GPS. It looks a BIT more 'modern' than the ancient staple Palm handset design but, well, it's not exactly earth shattering IMHO.

Fellow members... is this device on your radar?

P

Guest Zeiram

P

Nope, seems quite a few programs cannot handle the 320x320 pixel screen properly?

Might be a nice phone if it will be sold on a low price, but i cant see any real reason to get crazy bout this... :-)

Guest Dark Horse

It's a one of those blasted Pocket PC's dammit, of course it isn't on my radar :D

Now if they had gone down the sensible route and made a smartphone ... :(

Guest Monolithix

Fulgyness aside (and that takes a lot for me to do!), I actually really liked the Treo 750. It's pretty stable as WinMo devices go, the threaded SMS app is great, and Palm whack in a load of great tweaks and improvements. If this is the same and you're cool with the form factor it'll be a popular device i reckon.

Guest Metoo
I dont see how this can compete with Samsung i780 in any way.

Well, as good as the i780 is, I can see a few details that might swing some people the Treo's way:-

1. Proper D-Pad instead of optical sensor

2. Ringer On/Off switch

3. Wifi On/Off button

4. Extra Function buttons

5. Standard Mini-USB connector

6. Irda

7. A notification LED that works

Edited by Metoo

Guest Ingvarr

Well, if you write not only stuff that is better, but also all stuff that is worse, I still dont see how this treo is better in any way.

Btw even all these are very trivial things. Except MiniUSB maybe.

I would say only slow CPU outweights all of these "drawbacks" you provided. And optical joystick is not a drawback at all, provided it can function as mouse too and it can not break since have no moving parts.

Guest Metoo
Well, if you write not only stuff that is better, but also all stuff that is worse, I still dont see how this treo is better in any way.

Btw even all these are very trivial things. Except MiniUSB maybe.

I would say only slow CPU outweights all of these "drawbacks" you provided. And optical joystick is not a drawback at all, provided it can function as mouse too and it can not break since have no moving parts.

You make the mistake of assuming that what you see as trivial applies to everybody else. If that were the case, we would not need so many different phones as one would fit all.

As it happens, for many people the optical joystick is a real pain, mainly because of the lack of directional control for gaming and scrolling, and the imprecise control and lack of physical feedback even in d-pad simulation mode (have you ever tried to select something while driving?). BTW, if it has no moving parts, how do you press "Select"?

Physical On-Off switches are a big selling factor in the Treo line, e.g. for those who are often called into impromptu meetings.

At last, Palm have woken up to the fact that Mini-USB is essential for something that's regularly connected to a PC. Even Nokia have recognised that. I wish Samsung would do the same.

And come on Samsung, what good is a notification LED that can't tell you of a new message or event while the phone's in standby?

I'm not saying the Treo is brilliant, nor that the i780 is not (I have one) - but as an ex-Treo user I do recognise that these are features which impact significantly on daily use (or, on the Samsung side of the coin, irritate greatly) and therefore will be real factors in some people's buying decision.

Edited by Metoo

Guest REem
Well, as good as the i780 is, I can see a few details that might swing some people the Treo's way:-

1. Proper D-Pad instead of optical sensor

2. Ringer On/Off switch

3. Wifi On/Off button

4. Extra Function buttons

5. Standard Mini-USB connector

6. Irda

7. A notification LED that works

And a superb QWERTY keyboard. The full QWERTY-keyboard on the Treo 750 is one of the best I've ever used !!

Guest T39andcounting

Looks good to me. I see it's branded as Sprint. Does anyone know if it's being picked up by any of the UK networks?

Guest dearsina

Do Treos usually get picked up by UK networks? I seem to recall an Orange branded one back in the day, but that could just be my mind playing tricks with me...

Guest Metoo
Do Treos usually get picked up by UK networks? I seem to recall an Orange branded one back in the day, but that could just be my mind playing tricks with me...

Orange stopped at the 650. Vodafone had exclusivity on the 750 and 500 for the first 12 months (i.e. the only way to get a GSM Treo was through Vodafone, SIM locked). The Treo 550 and Treo 800w have been spotted in leaked Vodafone roadmaps (for Sep 08 and Jul 08 release) so that looks likely to happen again. Other networks haven't bothered with them.

Edited by Metoo

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.