HTC Diamond finally available to buy on the Orange website

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest l3v5y
I rang orange today, they said theres just over 600 in stock for the country <_>

WTF?!? I'd buy more than that myself... If I had any money...

Seems Orange have lost it!

Well... More than already...

Edited by l3v5y

Guest (Tom)

Wish this, (my first post) could be a positive one. I've just been to my local orange store to get 'hands on' with the diamond. (Been waiting 6 months out of contract for this rumoured phone.)

First the Handset.

-----------------------

The good news is that they are in stock, they (Glasgow) even said that they got a LARGE delivery.

The bad news is that the GUI is so slow and soooo jerky that it is COMPLETELY unusable. The icons at the bottom of the screen jump about, it is never intuitive as to where you should start a drag, nor which direction to drag in. In short both myself and the friendly sales assistant spent more time closing unwanted windows than gliding through the UI.

I'm not sure whether its the software or the sensitivity of the touch screen, but it is just a huge disappointment.

Other bad points include the fact that Orange went for the wobble mode diamond back, (Unlike T-mobiles flat back), and with the lack of SDHC card it just falls just short in every department.

From being an HTC fan, I've came to the conclusion that Apple do 'sexy' and HTC have always been about function.... This halfway house is a bad lesson in compromise.

THE TARRIF

--------------

Looking at the Orange website, I thought GREAT..... Dolphin 35 for £30, and 'unlimited' data at last.

The only snag is that unlimited data is ONLY available on 18 month contracts.... When I called Orange to point out that as a 'stop gap', there is no way I'd be waiting 18 months for an upgrade, there was no compromise with their retention department.....

.....they did offer me a free diamond on 18 months @ £25per month without the unlimited texts

.... or a free diamond on 12 month @ £33per month (600m) & (500t) option without unlimited data (its £7.50 extra for 250Mb).

Even offering to pay more for a handset to offset the costs was a no-go for them.... they just didn't get the point that in my case, 18 months with a Diamond? You couldn't give it away!

-------------

Ah well, my humble conclusions are

1) if you can find a handset that will keep you happy for 18 months then Dolphin35 is great!

2) the diamonds trapezoidal box shape would make excellent door wedge.

3) & I hate myself for saying it..... iphone 3g is likely to be out before HTC can develop a reputation saving device!

Guest blackhorse
WTF?!? I'd buy more than that myself... If I had any money...

Seems Orange have lost it!

Well... More than already...

Thats the initial shipment for retail only, and only to top 100 stores, so i would say around 8 for bigger stores and 3 or 4 for the smaller.

Shipments come in weekly

Guest jimbouk
Am I the only person that has 1GB free on Orange? I still have 3G try data on my account from about 3 years ago when I got my Universal!

I have 3gb fup on each of my phones. But boy did it take a fight!

Guest redblackred

The guy on the phone from orange was saying theres just over 600 at the moment as thety wanted to at least release something as the iphone is released today, but to expect thee to be many more in next few days-week.

The bad news is that the GUI is so slow and soooo jerky that it is COMPLETELY unusable. The icons at the bottom of the screen jump about, it is never intuitive as to where you should start a drag, nor which direction to drag in. In short both myself and the friendly sales assistant spent more time closing unwanted windows than gliding through the UI.

Really? I find my UI fine! Although I did notice it slow down a bit since I added the music, but at least it's ready to play as soon as I reach that screen

Guest barkythedog

can you cancel an upgrade and then go in store to upgrade and get one , my upgrade wont arrive till monday and im inpatient

Edited by barkythedog

Guest (Tom)
Really? I find my UI fine! Although I did notice it slow down a bit since I added the music, but at least it's ready to play as soon as I reach that screen

I'm waiting a few weeks to see if the staff can work out what was wrong... maybe it was just that unit... maybe it just needs time for the staff to 'get the hang off it'.... In any event, I said I'd go back in a couple of weeks... (Assuming they still have stock)...

Meanwhile I'm waiting to see a demo when it arrives on T-Mobile or even what the "Handset only" + "Unlock" price turns out to be on Vodafone... Perhaps it was the customisation? Perhaps it beds down after 10 minutes? After all the unit was fresh out of the box... so perhaps on its first run, it had LOTS of background processes running???

In the meantime I got my account transferred onto the Dolphin35 on my current 2G handset... No Contract.... just a plain Tariff change... and with my handset unlocked... it gives me option to move...

Believe me, I'm an HTC fanboy, I was like a big kid in the sweet shop as the unit was unboxed.... I wanted to believe that that dinky little feature packed unit would be christmas come early... I still want to believe... but after the demo it seriously makes me feel like buying an unbranded/untainted handset.... but without a live demo, and after what is possibly an unlucky experiance, parting with c£400 is daunting.

Any advice from people with Orange Diamonds would be appreciated. Does your UI just whizz along... do your icons flow gracefully as you run your thumb across the bottom of the screen? Do your scrollbars scroll or stutter?

Also....

What are peoples perceptions of the best network in terms of customer service, deals, and coverage? I like orange, but here good things about T-mobile, and I here nothing about what people think of Vodafone!

BTW I think that this site is great!! But as a little suggestion, could there be a little graph widget that shows the result of a monthly vote on "How Happy I am with my provider", and "Most popular Tarrif"... I think that it would be a useful tool to spot trends and help the Modaco Guys get their questions answered when they say to providers.... "Our 400,000 members have came to an opinion that you need to do something about....?"

ps. In the cold light of day I can't believe that I was thinking of iphone with its vendor lockin.... (Can we start a 'Help Group' thread for people making such comments... perhaps a local forum member could meet them and slap sense into them? )

pps. I apologise for the earlier negative rant, its just standing waiting in the rain for a bus left time for the mind to ponder life's great questions... like... . "when they designed the diamonds case, did they literally cut corners?" :D . I promise to lighten up, :(

Guest jimbouk

I would never ever base a decision on the performance of a WM device in store. Even without network customisation, handsets never perform as well as they can until you have got them home, read Modaco and XDA Developers and done all the recommended tweaks.

The general concensus is that T's data deal was always the most competitive, but if you are a light-medium user, then O's free data for £35 per month plus tariffs is looking very good value.

Sometimes your choice of network is dictated more by the coverage in your usual locations than the deal or the service.

I wonder if the diamond cut back panel will mean less O Diamonds slip out of hands than T Diamonds?

Guest 1straven

Woohoo, my diamond has arrived. No orange stuff on the UI at all from what I can see. Only a little orange badge on the back of the device.

The phone appears to be quicker than the m700 I am upgrading from but isn't as smooth as I would of thought. Seems a little odd. I'm just transfering my music and tomtom across so I'll see what it is like once that is done.

Guest Neil5459

JimboUK is spot on with the advice about coverage- no good getting the best deal if there's no service :D

I'm now on my way home to see if my Diamond has arrived! Usual deal- £40 phone, £30pm with 600mins/ unlimited SMS and 'Unlimited' (=500MB Data.)

Also just renegotiated my other line which was just out of contract, and got free Nokia 6300 (OK as a spare!), 300 mins/100 SMS/ 250MB Anytime data for £17.50 pm, which suits me fine.

Orange retentions guy says they are very busy today with people disconnecting to go over the the new iPhone, so some good deals to be had I think!

Guest jimbouk
Damnit! I need to get my brothers contract renewed... But he's lost the SIM... Anyone know the number for lost SIMs?

If you are upgrading, you dont need the old sim. The new phone comes with one and you call them to register it and they swap the number over.

If not, just ring 150 (from your phone) or 07973100150 and speak customer services.

Guest Neil5459
Just received two diamonds. Am all synced and working. Now I have to get used to it!

My new Varifocals arrive on Monday- think I may need them :D

The screen is excellent, but a little small for comfort after my X7500! Anyway, the Diamond is my replacement for my 'everyday' phone, so won't be my primary surfing/reading device!

Guest bugeyes

jumped ship from t mob to orange!

i have the only diamond in Kettering UK apparently!!!!! wooohooooooo!!!

sadly the orange set up cd wont work am i missing anything??????

Guest l3v5y
jumped ship from t mob to orange!

i have the only diamond in Kettering UK apparently!!!!! wooohooooooo!!!

sadly the orange set up cd wont work am i missing anything??????

I think normally it contains ActiveSync and some bundled software... Not critical for getting your device running as you can get AS straight from M$... You could try a different CD drive maybe?

Aren't you lucky!

Guest l3v5y
You dont need anything on the cd - especially if you already have outlook and either wmdc or activesync.

Some devices may have extra software with them, but it's not necessary, just nice!

Guest 1straven

Funny enough, I already had active sync 4.5 installed but the phone wouldn't install and kept asking for drivers. Uninstalled and installed the one from the cd and works fine. Guess it was just my pc's playing up.

Guest l3v5y
Funny enough, I already had active sync 4.5 installed but the phone wouldn't install and kept asking for drivers. Uninstalled and installed the one from the cd and works fine. Guess it was just my pc's playing up.

Never had that happen to me! Is it the same build or did you not check that much detail?

Now, since people here have got Diamonds on Orange, can some one tell me whether they have any stupid branding on the OS or the hardware?

Nothing at all! I even tried an O2 sim earlier just incase they'd forgotten to lock it to a network (It didn't work :()

Vista's WMDC even came up with a pic of the Diamond when it connects! :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.