Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest the_grinch

Sibbens

I believe it would be fine to install from the latest version of Kalyway you can find.

Regarding the wi-fi card to be honest despite me buying a Broadcom based dell card as per Paul's guide i haven't ended up installing it. I find the standard Realtek card on the Wind runs fine with the available drivers and also allows you to turn it off using the keyboard shortcut to save battery and OSX will see it again when you re-enable it without having to reboot which I'mnot sure you can do with the other solutions.

Anyway good luck!

Guest Sibbens
Sibbens

I believe it would be fine to install from the latest version of Kalyway you can find.

Regarding the wi-fi card to be honest despite me buying a Broadcom based dell card as per Paul's guide i haven't ended up installing it. I find the standard Realtek card on the Wind runs fine with the available drivers and also allows you to turn it off using the keyboard shortcut to save battery and OSX will see it again when you re-enable it without having to reboot which I'mnot sure you can do with the other solutions.

Anyway good luck!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Did you download any particular drivers to get the WiFi card to work or is this something that OS X does automatically? (or does it run smoothly for you without doing anything but following the guide..?)

Guest wjwall452

Paul i have msi u100 with xp and osx the xp works find but i cant get on lne with osx on the apple side it says i have wifi and that im connected but when i try to connect safari it says server cant be found also i have the realtek wireless card any ideas desperate! bw

Guest Dikcov

Looks great, but I want to dual boot. Wind is due tomorrow, I bought DVD read /write, extra memory ( I think I did wrong. I bought 1 GB since it had 1, think I need install new 2 GB) and just bought Mac OS X .

If I backup all to a removable HD, create 2 partitions, Install Mac to its partitiopn as Paul so well describes, will I be able to load the origional system from the HD and hope To get it to work?

It will be a great surprise that I have more guts than experience!

Guest marc_h_uk

Hey There,

I was wondering if anyone can help me... I am getting a little confused as to what I need to do, I have my Advent 4211 with the extra 1GB of RAM and the new wifi card......

A few questions..

The techguys recovery medium I was asked to make on the first boot of my system, if i cock up the OS X install can i simply reconnect the USB stick and restore the factory settings?

2nd thing - Can I use the Leopard Install DVD's that came with my Mac?

3rd thing - is there a way of doing this without purchasing an external DVD drive? Is it possible from a USB Stick?

4th - has anyone tried running Logic Pro on one of these systems yet?

5th - Whats the deal that people say about no headphone jack working? I would prefer being able to use the headphone jack as an audio out to plug into a stereo...

Thanks in advance

And also to Paul the creator of this amazing page B)

Cheers

Marc

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RightSydeBlincker
A video of the install is below, enjoy! Unfortunately i've noticed that the somehow the end of the 10.5.3 patch install (doing the kernel install and the 'update -v') has gone AWOL, but i'll try and find this bit and chop it in.

:excl:

P

HI paul,

I install os x 10.5.2 on my msi wind u100 and the install process finished with out a problem. when i rebooted it for the first time and the welcome screen appeared nothing was wrong until i got to the screen where it asks "do you already own a mac?" when i select do not transfer my info now, it just sits there for a few seconds and then the screen goes black with the loading mouse on the screen. after about 10 to 20 seconds it starts back at the beginning of the "welcome" screen. the only thing that is different from my msi wind and your video is that i haven't changed my wireless card. i'm gonna try to reinstall os x to see if that will fix the problem. have you seen this problem before? if you have, how do i fix it?

Guest coryshubert

Last update: 14/07/08 - video and images online!

What you need to install OSX on your Wind

Here's a list of what you MUST have to install OSX on your Wind...

Guest coryshubert
... higlight it, then hit enter, the the drive start to spin, but then the F3 key prompt comes up and it goes right into the Windows XP startup screen and right on into the old startup.

What might be causing this? What are some reasons the DVD drive wont' do the install?

Cory

One thing I was thinking is that maybe the Kalaway DVD didn't burn correctly or something? What I downloaded was a file that had three things in it:

1. ADD_KEXT_TO_DVD folder

2. Kalawy DVD ReadMe.rft

3. Kalaway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd.iso

The size of the ISO disk image shows as 3.61gb. The ReadMe.rft won't open on my Mac, but I just wanted to make sure that at least the DVD stuff that I put on it is correct?

Thanks,

Cory

Guest E=mc²

Hi,

I would just like to thank Paul (And the other folks who added their useful insights!) for allowing me to sit here and type this message on my Advent 4211 running 10.5.4!

There's a few quirks, but I figured most of them are probably because I'm still tinkering. Next up, 10.5.5! Paul, you shall find yourself some cash to buy a few screws for your next netbook.

Guest Mayne

Will some one please sell me a copy of the new updated iATKOS 5i? I dont have a high speed connection and need it bad. Im in birmingham and ill pay by paypal or come to you for it. Please I need it. PM me with details.

Guest HackerX64

Realtek 8187SE In Advent 4211 WORKING!!!!

I Will Provide How To and Downloads

1)download here at http://rapidshare.com/files/171809218/Real...73_UI_1.6.2.zip

2)Install it on Your Hackbook aka advent 4211 and then head to Activity Monitor And Show The Main Window.

3)if You See Anything With realtek In It Close It

4)head to The new Program You Just Downloaded

5)Click Your Network And Then Click Connect And Enter your Password

6) Then it Should take You To A Page With Signal And It should Say "Conected"

Note That If You Do Not Get The window i said I Got in step 6, Just look Through The tabs!!

reply If It Worked!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lileoj
I managed to get mine to 10.5.5 with fairly minimal hassle. 10.5.6 I just haven't bothered with.

Did anyone figure out how to fix the blue screen after the kexts installed and 10.5.4? I'm confused I followed everything step by step. Last reboot before the update OS part and now the blue screen alot of work to end in a brick wall. HELP!!!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest averylowiq

After following all the steps I got the Mac OS X working, however, a system update resulted in getting "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button" constantly.

Any ideas how I can successfully boot the OS? This is the first time I am using OSX so any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

Edit: The kernel is panic-ing in the driver "com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (76.0.0)@0x2ed85000->0x2eda3fff." Any way to get around it?

Edited by averylowiq

Guest johnwin

never use the system updater to update your OS install on the Wind.

You need to reinstall and then carry out each incremental back-up precisely following the various 'how to's' found in these forums or at other good sources such as MSI Wind Forums.

I recently rebuilt my Hackintosh using the MSIWindOSX 'distro' instead of the Kelyway version discussed in this thread. Personally I found it was better and, as it has a larger following, there is more help out there. Currnetly running on 10.5.7 with no problems at all.

Good luck

Guest averylowiq

Thanks for the reply Johnwin. I figured I shouldn't have used the system updater. I will give MSIWindOSX distro a shot next.

Guest CapitalC

First, thanks Paul for the guide and video - I referred to both while doing the install on a U100 and it worked great with only a couple of minor hiccups.

Second, I read all 39 pages. Yes, every single page. I glossed over posts where people where whining about something not working because they didn't read or used a different ISO, which leads me to my third point...

If you're not technically adept enough to figure out the problems yourself, READ THE ENTIRE FVCKING THREAD. I deal with forums on a daily basis, I'm a moderator for two heavily trafficked websites and I can't tell you how frustrating it is dealing with idiots who simply can't read or don't search. After the couple of hours I spent on this thread reading from start to finish while doing my install, I learned enough to answer nearly ALL of the questions asked. And for those I couldn't answer, a quick search and/or Google DID solve my problems.

I would love to add -- for those who are doing an install on a newer machine, you should check out the 2nd post on this page by cbtee; many of the newer units have a b/g/n wireless card by Ralink rather than the Realtek one. Get his drivers, they will work.

Oh, and if you have the gray screen problem after the 10.5.5 update, just boot into safe mode (hit a key when prompted at boot and type "-x" without quotes) then reload ALL the kext files with the utility.

Working: most stuff, including sound and WIFI

Not working: the battery meter (got an "X" after a reboot for some reason, but I'm not concerned), LAN (again, not concerned as WIFI is working)

Not tested but presumed working: webcam

Not tested but presumed not working until I apply a fix: headphone, mic, two-finger-scrolling

Again, thanks Paul and everyone who has contributed usefull information to this thread.

Edited by CapitalC

Guest CapitalC

A follow-up to my own post...

- Battery meter is working; rebooted without the power supply and now the X is gone.

- Webcam is working; had to use the FN button to enable it tho as it wasn't at first.

- Built-in microphone is not working, nor is the subsystem (doesn't show up as an input device). Will need to re-read and patch in order to use Skype.

- PhotoBooth is not working; gives the "graphic card" error (which I read about and think I can fix).

Guest redboy33
Realtek 8187SE In Advent 4211 WORKING!!!!

I Will Provide How To and Downloads

1)download here at http://rapidshare.com/files/171809218/Real...73_UI_1.6.2.zip

2)Install it on Your Hackbook aka advent 4211 and then head to Activity Monitor And Show The Main Window.

3)if You See Anything With realtek In It Close It

4)head to The new Program You Just Downloaded

5)Click Your Network And Then Click Connect And Enter your Password

6) Then it Should take You To A Page With Signal And It should Say "Conected"

Note That If You Do Not Get The window i said I Got in step 6, Just look Through The tabs!!

reply If It Worked!!!!

1st, thanks to Paul, great "how to"

2nd, hackerX64 this worked for me, but either a reboot or the BIOS update I just installed killed the wireless drivers??

3rd, Just updated to BIOS vers 1.0D and lost all USB connections in OSX. (I haven't installed windows 7 rc1 yet to see if usb works in windows)

Thanks for everyone's help,

redboy33

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1naks1
A video of the install is below, enjoy! Unfortunately i've noticed that the somehow the end of the 10.5.3 patch install (doing the kernel install and the 'update -v') has gone AWOL, but i'll try and find this bit and chop it in.

:D

P

hello there. just came across your site and i should've read through with this before i installed kalyway 10.5.2... soo soo very interesting and details were magnificent...

hope you can help me.... watching through your video i noticed that before you installed kalyway, after partitioning the disc, you clicked on customize to select and deselect certain installs... you see i didnt do this and went ahead and installed whatever was going to be installed by default... strange thing all went well.. however i noticed as i was trying to use iphoto, everytime i try viewing a slideshow with the default slideshow settings, nothing comes out, screen is all black and i have to make a hard reboot (depressing the power button) for it to reboot. have you experienced this? is that why you have to customize before installing?

i am quite new to your webpage and group, but am hoping that you will be able to help me..

thanks again for all your hardwork with the msi wind... you're the MAN!!!

thanks again and hope to hear from you soon

Guest Okera

:D Ha Paul Okera here. Ive been thinking about getting a netbook, the msiwind u115 with the duel SSD and a mechanical drives. Wanted to know if the osx install works on it? Can I upgrade from 1 gb to 2gb? Whats the max? and can you confirm that there going to come out with an upgraded model with a 16 gb SSD Drive? if they are I might just put the purchase on hold until then. Thank also great job on the installation video. ;)