Faulty HDD

Guest scottt

Guest scottt

My hdd has been playing up for the last 2 weeks - Machine starts running real slow and the hdd light stays on instead of blinking, it will then it crash and not reboot (reg file missing), when I use Acronis to format the drive it will come up with error msg that it cant read/write to sector 24890 (or something similar) it will give this mgs for 5 different sectors, if I keep trying it will format it after 4 or 5 trys, then I can install vista again from an Acronis backup (fn + f3 will give a corrupt file msg and will not boot into vista) it will then run normal for anything between 10 minutes and 3 days then the cycle will start again.

Has anybody had to used the HTC warranty service and how long could I expect to be without my shift?

I was thinking of upgrading my hdd anyway to this

80gb hdd

you can also get 100gb + 120gb hdds but they are 8mm and the original is 5mm, the 8mm will fit but could damage other components due to the tight fit.

My only concern with the upgrade is that there is some other underlying fault and I will void my warranty by changing the hdd.

Does this sound like a hdd fault or something else? is there any software that could attempt to fix the hdd?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Scott

p.s the win mobile side is working 100%

Edited by scottt

Guest tsutton

If it was me, I'd get HTC to fix the HDD issue and then once you get it back, buy the new & bigger HDD and swap it. If aoo is OK, sell the old one so you have the money back.

Or keep it in case you want to put the orginial back on.

• 3 weeks later...

Sent my shift to htc and got it back 14 days later with a sheet explaining the work carried out

Repair Description

1 - Diagnosis

2 - Re-Flash ROM image

3 - Function test

I switched the machine on and got the please wait while windows starts for the first time message, then it crashed and now all I get is "Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

I can enter the bios but the hdd is not present in the bios.

I hope they try to fix it this time !!!