Wifi - anybody else not able to connect

Guest kc1

Just cant get the touch pro to connect with my netgear router - it can see the network fine, just can't establish a connection - HTC S710 and SP5 work just fine

- anybody else having troubles?

Guest Syphon Filter

I had this too and then it just started working. Was weird.

1. Make sure you've added the Touch Pro if you';re using MAC filtering

2. Reboot your wi-fi router.

Do you have your router in discovery mode?
My router's a netgear dg834n - doesn't seem to have "discovery mode"

1. Make sure you've added the Touch Pro if you';re using MAC filtering

2. Reboot your wi-fi router.

It's added to the MAC filters

Are you both using WPA2-PSK [AES]?

Guest Syphon Filter
My router's a netgear dg834n - doesn't seem to have "discovery mode"

It's added to the MAC filters

Are you both using WPA2-PSK [AES]?

I'm using WPA2-Personal TKIP+AES

Linksys Router.

Guest jchamier
I'm using WPA2-Personal TKIP+AES

PSK is "Personal Shared Key" which is the password, compared to other systems big companies may use.

TKIP encryption is used normally with WPA authentication

AES encryption is normally used with WPA2 authentication

So having WPA2-TKIP doesn't seem to make sense to me.

On my Hermes with WM6, I use these in the menu:

Authentication: WPA2-PSK

Data Encryption: AES

I can actually chose an encryption of TKIP, but that wouldn't be meeting the WPA2 spec, and its stupid of WM6 to offer.

WPA2 uses CCMP for key generation, and AES for encryption.

WPA uses TKIP for key generation, and RC4 for encryption.

WPA was an interim idea to fix the WEP mess, since the encrytion (RC4) is the same as WEP, but the key is changed automatically, to resolve the broken key problem in WEP. This is what TKIP is for.

WPA2 is the proper industry standard 802.11i, and if you have the choice is vastly superior.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wpa2

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Excellent post ... thank you.

Question then.

My router is set up in mixed mode ... WPA and WPA2. I'm keeping legacy WPA for the devices which cannot support WPA2. I guess I am compromising the integrity of the system, but not as much as running WEP.

Guest jchamier
Excellent post ... thank you.

Glad to help.

Question then. My router is set up in mixed mode ... WPA and WPA2. I'm keeping legacy WPA for the devices which cannot support WPA2. I guess I am compromising the integrity of the system, but not as much as running WEP.

Not really, as both WPA and WPA2 use a passphrase/password. Any system is as strong as its weakest part - so you really want a strong passphrase, using all 63 characters. Don't just use a word found in a dictionary, as computers can run through dictionary words very quickly...!

The problem WEP had was that it was easier to crack the encryption, than the password. That should never occur, and was down to a mathematical issue that hadn't been spotted.

Edited by jchamier

I'm pulling my hair out. :D

I've tried various security protocols and several different channels (5-11)

WPA-PSK [TKIP]

WPA2-PSK [AES]

WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

WPA-802.1x

And even disabled security altogether. No joy - it sees the SSID and correctly identifies the channel & mode, but that's it. Won't connect.

For some reason under Wifi, it doesn't let me untick "Use IEEE802.x network access control" and "EAP type: Smart Card or Certificate" is selected and greyed out.

Suggestions very welcome

Guest rhedgehog

I notice it is the DG834N

Have tested it with my DG834G and it works flawlessly.

What speed do you have the router set to operate at?

The Touch Pro does not support any sort of N mode, or any sort of turbo mode that Netgear are partial to putting in their routers.

have you manually set any minimum speed?

have you got the latest firmware on the router?

Basically, make sure that any turbo mode is turned off, and the speed is set to b/g and see if that works.

I notice it is the DG834N

have you manually set any minimum speed?

have you got the latest firmware on the router?

Basically, make sure that any turbo mode is turned off, and the speed is set to b/g and see if that works.

Been using version 1.01.06 firmware, which I don't think has a turbo mode. I tried down-grading the mode 802.11g & b but that didn't make any difference.

There's a version 1.02.08 which I will try when I get home.

I do have DG834G in the loft somewhere, but it's only 100mbit while the rest of my LAN is gigabit - it would be a crying shame to have to slow down the media server, etc. just because the brand new HTC flagship phone doesn't support 802.11n which has been out for >18months

Thanks for yr suggestions I'll report back on the new firmware tomorrow.

Guest awarner (MVP)

I have same issues with my Dlink, can not get any of my devices to connect, it's a draft n router but my type g laptop connects ok, so does my Wii without any issues.

Guest jimbouk

Firstly no windows mobile devices support "N" so you need to make sure it is running in "g" or "mixed" mode.

Secondly if you are using MAC filtering, your windows mobile device has at least three mac addresses - for its different ways of connecting to networks so make sure you are using the wireless cards mac address.

Thirdly, turn off all security and change your SSID to something new then try it - lots of devices have weird memories and if you try to connect to a network it has already seen, it remembers the settings even if you have deleted them.

Firstly no windows mobile devices support "N" so you need to make sure it is running in "g" or "mixed" mode.

Secondly if you are using MAC filtering, your windows mobile device has at least three mac addresses - for its different ways of connecting to networks so make sure you are using the wireless cards mac address.

Thirdly, turn off all security and change your SSID to something new then try it - lots of devices have weird memories and if you try to connect to a network it has already seen, it remembers the settings even if you have deleted them.

Mac filtering is off, tried w/o security still no joy at all. Will try the renaming SSID thing though

Guest jchamier
Been using version 1.01.06 firmware, which I don't think has a turbo mode. I tried down-grading the mode 802.11g & b but that didn't make any difference. I do have DG834G in the loft somewhere, but it's only 100mbit while the rest of my LAN is gigabit - it would be a crying shame to have to slow down the media server, etc. just because the brand new HTC flagship phone doesn't support 802.11n which has been out for >18months

You could plug an ethernet port on the 834G into a port on the new router, and turn off wireless on the new one. Worth a try or a test.

I've had two Draytek routers that phones (and some laptops) refused to connect to. I found the phones were the most fussy, but everything works with my Apple Airport Express.

You don't need to bother with MAC filtering if you are using WPA or WPA2. MAC address spoofing is easy, and the MAC addresses are not encrypted, so can be read by anyone with a Linux box.

N is an interesting technology, its still not standardised, so you find cards from one vendor doesn't work with routers from another, except a G modes. Blame the IEEE committee.

Been using version 1.01.06 firmware, which I don't think has a turbo mode. I tried down-grading the mode 802.11g & b but that didn't make any difference.

There's a version 1.02.08 which I will try when I get home.

I do have DG834G in the loft somewhere, but it's only 100mbit while the rest of my LAN is gigabit - it would be a crying shame to have to slow down the media server, etc. just because the brand new HTC flagship phone doesn't support 802.11n which has been out for >18months

Thanks for yr suggestions I'll report back on the new firmware tomorrow.

New firmware didn't cure it & caused connection issues with general internet so had to revert back. SSID thing didn't work either. Keep wondering why this phone is the only device that can't manage to connect to it. Will try at a colleague's house tomorrow.

Guest rhedgehog

Ok, tried it with the family's Sky router (Which is a DG834GT with custom firmware) and it worked fine on that as well.

Next suggestion is to try it on WPA1 rather than 2. I know the DG834GT is set to WPA 1 and works fine.

haven't bothered updating my dg834G to support wpa2 as it works fine as it is.

Oh, and 802.11n hasn't been out at all. it's just each manufacturers own implementation of how they think it should work. but i think someone else already said that....

Next suggestion is to try it on WPA1 rather than 2.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried that as well on the DG834N and it doesn't work

Oh, and 802.11n hasn't been out at all. it's just each manufacturers own implementation of how they think it should work. but i think someone else already said that....
Well that's not quite right is it. It's been a published Draft 2.0 IEEE standard since 9 March 2007. Draft 2.0 is what the DG834N and other manufacturers use (Draft 5.0 was approved last month) and all drafts have been backwardly compatible since January 2006.