Specific gaming question for Diamond

Guest nassersyed2

Guest nassersyed2

Hey all Diamond owners-

I have a pretty specific question. I'm on the verge of purchasing a Diamond and wanted know this:

When playing a nes/snes/genesis emulator, is it possible to press more than 2 keys at the same time?

ie: When playing say mario bros. 3, can you move, press run, and jump at the same time?

Only one phone I had could do this, which was an OLD Mitac 8380 smartphone. I currently have the Samsung i600 (wifi edition) and it was not possible, you can only do 2 at a time. I just wanted to know as I enjoy playing old games on my phone.

If someone could try it out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance :D

Guest estechco
Hey all Diamond owners-

I have a pretty specific question. I'm on the verge of purchasing a Diamond and wanted know this:

When playing a nes/snes/genesis emulator, is it possible to press more than 2 keys at the same time?

ie: When playing say mario bros. 3, can you move, press run, and jump at the same time?

Only one phone I had could do this, which was an OLD Mitac 8380 smartphone. I currently have the Samsung i600 (wifi edition) and it was not possible, you can only do 2 at a time. I just wanted to know as I enjoy playing old games on my phone.

If someone could try it out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance :D

I haven't tried a SNES emulator on my Diamond, although I have used one on my old device and seem to recall the responsiveness being tricky to say the least. What I would say is that whilst I think you should be able to press both buttons simultaneously (it isn't a rocker where one side is up when the other is down), but how it would behave is highly questionable.

I would also have to say that in general use, I don't find the Diamond's arrow keys particularly sensitive. Whether it is because the sensitivity is meant to come from either the screen or the resistive side of the keypad, but the click is actually quite definite and (I find) tricky to do repetitively, which I suspect is probably the fundamental nature of many SNES games?

Edited by estechco

Guest nassersyed2
I haven't tried a SNES emulator on my Diamond, although I have used one on my old device and seem to recall the responsiveness being tricky to say the least. What I would say is that whilst I think you should be able to press both buttons simultaneously (it isn't a rocker where one side is up when the other is down), but how it would behave is highly questionable.

I would also have to say that in general use, I don't find the Diamond's arrow keys particularly sensitive. Whether it is because the sensitivity is meant to come from either the screen or the resistive side of the keypad, but the click is actually quite definite and (I find) tricky to do repetitively, which I suspect is probably the fundamental nature of many SNES games?

Yeah, I would think so. I like playing old games and you do have to press the buttons a lot. I hope they're still fun to play and have good FPS.

Just wanted to get a little feedback on gaming with the Diamond.

Anyone else have an experience with emulator gaming on the Diamond?

Guest FatBloke23

You'd have thought there'd be a market out there for a basic (S)NES-style joypad to Bluetooth into your WM device, perhaps even with some sort of cradle to make it all into an overgrown Gameboy.

Right. Off to Dragons' Den... :D

Guest M4rauder

/bump

I'd also like to hear from some Diamond owners how easy it is to play games using the built-in controls. I have a PN-820 right now, which is decent, but I'm browsing for upgrade options and the HTC Diamond looks pretty good. Specifically, I would want to play games with Final Burn (arcade), so tactile response and accuracy is key...

• 9 months later...
Guest uabassguy
/bump

I'd also like to hear from some Diamond owners how easy it is to play games using the built-in controls. I have a PN-820 right now, which is decent, but I'm browsing for upgrade options and the HTC Diamond looks pretty good. Specifically, I would want to play games with Final Burn (arcade), so tactile response and accuracy is key...

Well I own a Diamond, and after trying to emulate SNES, NES, and GBA, the one I find easiest to emulate is the NES, due to the fact that there's not as many buttons to map, and the framrate is good, you can use the on screen D-Pad of PocketNester while using the Hard mapped buttons to run/jump, and map the volume button for start/select (Looks like theres some cross mapping issues where Back/VolUp HW buttons map to the same 0x75, Tested Mario 3, Zelda 1, Blaster Master, which are playable, but the simultaneous pressing of buttons is tricky, also HW mapped buttons seem to stop working after a minute of pressing, I think it is because of the assignments in the OS, maybe a program exists to remove those mappings temporarily when in full screen). If you're trying to emulate SNES, forget it. SNESxj4u is your best bet if you want to try, but with so many buttons to map you're wasting you're time IMHO. On screen controls may be an option, if the screen allowed simultaneous button presses in different spot's on the screen, which I haven't figured out. Now as far as PocketGBA, if you can find a Diamond App that will allow you to temporarily disable the home and call keys you can map them to simulate a D-Pad (PocketGBA will run in Landscape), and use the on screen A/B/L/R buttons, but there is no on screen D-Pad like PocketNester. Hopefully in the future I would see a adapter for controllers that would plug into the sync cable port, but so far that's only a hope :D