Samsung i900 Omnia now available on T-Mobile UK

Guest deadphill

Guest deadphill
i900big.png

Just got off the phone to a lovely lady at T-Mobile who I phoned yesterday to enquire about the release date of the Vario 4 of all devices! Anyway as I have been torn between the i900 and the Vario 4, she said there was still no release date for the Vario 4 but that the i900 is due for release this week and she would call me when it was available.

Well true to her word she phoned me back about 5 mins ago (first time for everything eh :D !!) to say they have just released it and that I would be one of the first 100 people to have the phone on T-Mobile, WOOP!

Its cost me £70+p&p on a flext 25 with W&W.

So if you want to bag an i900 on T-Mobile, I suggest you get on the blower now!

Cheers

Phill

[Edit by Paul (MVP): It seems to be the 8GB version...]

Woo!

8GB or 16GB?

P

I'm pretty certain they are 8GB ones as the user T-Mobile on WhatMobile (a T-Mobile insider) has been saying that they are 8GB and coming this week (but were held up slightly due to a contract issue).

Gavin

Guest deadphill

Do you want me to edit the post to show that its the 16gb version more clearly?

I couldnt believe it either! When she told me my wallet instantly came out!

One question though Paul, in your opinion, having had both devices will I like this phone? Reason I ask is that I have the diamond at the moment, and to be honest I dont mind the on screen keyboard, but I do miss it from the Kaiser. I was hoping for the Vario 4 to come out sooner, but I am getting married in 3 weeks and I leave to go abroad for it in one and a half weeks so I cant afford to be mucking about with phones so close to the wedding. I really want the phone for the tv out so I can play pictures (of the wedding for a UK recption) though a projector without having to take a massive laptop with me! The other thing that interested me was the superb camera on it, which I have never seen such a good camera on a Windows mobile device.

I know you have described it as oranges and apples the difference, but I am interested to know your opinion, which one suits you best?

Cheers

Phill

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm using the Omnia :D

Not tried the TV out yet, but I hear it's very good. As you probably know, I came from a Kaiser, and while neither the Diamond nor the Omnia keyboards are as good as a real hardware keyboard, I just seem to get on with the Omnia's better. That's despite the screen on the Omnia not seeming quite as sensitive as on the diamond, which took some getting used to.

Love the camera... the features, UI and responsiveness is just awesome.

P

Guest deadphill

Cool

I am hearing stuff at the moment and trying to take it in, but I guess I will find out when it arrives tomorrow!

Thanks Paul, as a militant user of WinMo devices as well your opinion (and cash to be able to get the devices first!) counts for me. Not that its hard but reading your posts over the years, you kind of go for almost all the same devices as I have!

Cheers

Phill

Guest Paul (MVP)

FWIW also, I had a play with the Touch Pro earlier this week, and decided that because of it's bulk, I don't think it's for me, nice tho the keyboard is (altho no Windows / OK buttons on it is ridiculous!)

XPeria: Jury's out :D

P

Guest deadphill

Yea the xperia has not really made me all giddy like these two devices, but then maybe thats because they have never done a WinMo device before.

Ill go with the Omnia for now and no doubt have to change the firmware as the t-mobile one is bound to be horrid! Oh thats a point, is it easy to make a backup of the t-mobile stock rom, incase I want to return it in 7 days?

Thanks

Phill

Do you want me to edit the post to show that its the 16gb version more clearly?

Maybe that was what the contractual issue that the guy was talking about - if its the 16GB version my understanding was that Orange had it exclusive for 6 weeks and that is coming to an end soon I think.

Gavin

Guest deadphill

Well we shall soon see tomorrow when I get it.

With my current 8gb Micro sdhc card, I will have a wacking 22gb of storage space on this device.

Should be good for films etc on all of my plane rides I have coming up. Cant wait!

Cheers

Phill

Guest ptamblin

Paul,

Its interesting that you say that you weren't that impressed with the bulky-ness of the Touch Pro, I found this surprising as you were such a big fan of the Keiser. Do you think people might be disapointed as it seemed like it was going to be the device that Everyone was waiting for?

Could I cope without a Hard Keyboard?

What makes the Omnia so Special?

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
Well we shall soon see tomorrow when I get it.

With my current 8gb Micro sdhc card, I will have a wacking 22gb of storage space on this device.

Should be good for films etc on all of my plane rides I have coming up. Cant wait!

Cheers

Phill

16 + 8 = 24 :D

i'm increasingly tempted by one of these but need to play with a touch pro before i decide. i had a play the the tocco the other day and if the screen is anything like that, i doubt this'll be for me...

Paul,

Its interesting that you say that you weren't that impressed with the bulky-ness of the Touch Pro, I found this surprising as you were such a big fan of the Keiser. Do you think people might be disapointed as it seemed like it was going to be the device that Everyone was waiting for?

Off/T I will second this request - is the Touch Pro bulky compared to, say, the Vario II that I am currently using?

On/T I am planning to get an Omnia and a Touch Pro over my two contracts, although I want to take them out as 12 month contracts. Was that £70 on a 18 month contract???

Guest Paul (MVP)
Paul,

I know, I LOVED my Kaiser, but it's almost like my time with the Diamond and Omnia has made me realise I like thin more than a hardware keyboard, especially since the software keyboards are getting so good.

It's really hard, and I plan to use the Touch Pro for a while to see if I fall back in love with a hardware keyboard again! :D

P

Guest deadphill
16 + 8 = 24 :D

i'm increasingly tempted by one of these but need to play with a touch pro before i decide. i had a play the the tocco the other day and if the screen is anything like that, i doubt this'll be for me...

Doh!

Normally my mental arethmatic is quite good. Not today eh?

Cool 24gb! Good God, what on earth will I do with all that storage?!!!

Im sure I will find something! :D

Cheers

Phill

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
I know, I LOVED my Kaiser, but it's almost like my time with the Diamond and Omnia has made me realise I like thin more than a hardware keyboard, especially since the software keyboards are getting so good.

It's really hard, and I plan to use the Touch Pro for a while to see if I fall back in love with a hardware keyboard again! :D

P

if i were going to go for a device without hardware input tho, it would have to be one like the omnia with the extra screen height - so you can have nice big SIPs without loosing too much screen realestate

Doh!

Normally my mental arethmatic is quite good. Not today eh?

Cool 24gb! Good God, what on earth will I do with all that storage?!!!

Im sure I will find something! :D

Cheers

Phill

I was assuming that you were taking into account that some of the system stuff will chew up some of your space. At a guess you'll get something like 23.5 GB, but still that's plenty.

All this talk of a 16GB phone is making me consider upgrading to an Omnia ..... just when I thought I'd settled on a Touch Pro.

Gavin

Guest jimbouk

I went to a Diamond from a Kaiser and am now completely used to the lack of hardware keyboard. - If its that important, the laptop is never far away.

I saw my first Tocco yesterday and hated the screen and the nav.

Sorry managed to double post somehow. The customer advisor offered it to me for £90 when I'm on a Flext 30 contract with w&w. If I upgraded to paying the full £35 he said I could have it for £50. It doesn't sound like a great deal to me. Deadphil you were on 25 contract with w&w and got it for £70. Now considering I've been paying for another 6 months after my contract ended it looks like I'm getting the short end of the stick here!

Gavin

Edited by gavken

Guest thelondonthing

Regarding this discussion over 8GB vs 16GB on T-Mobile, I just did a search for samsung i900 omnia on Google, and the top sponsored link in the results reads:

Orange Samsung Omnia

16GB exclusive until 25th September

with Orange PAYM. Buy online today

Orange.co.uk/Samsung

This would seem to support what many are saying about T-Mo only having the 8GB version.

Edited by thelondonthing

OK - after a second call to T-Mobile customer support I have an 8GB Omnia on the way on Flext 30 with WnW and a £5/month discount for £70 handset price.

Should be with me tomorrow. :D

Gavin

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.