TomTom Navigator 7 to be released soon?

Guest awarner

Guest awarner (MVP)
19-Oct-2008_large_tt7box.jpg

TomTom Navigator 7 has now appeared on the EasyDevices website for pre-order.
Does this now mean that the release of the long awaited TomTom update is imminent or are they jumping the gun?

Back in May, Paul posted about the initial confirmation that TomTom will be releasing Navigator 7 and as we have seen, it has been made available on certain HTC Diamond devices.

The EasyDevices pre-order is for the UK and Southern Ireland version only and at the moment the price it unconfirmed.
If you decide to be one of the first to place an order, EasyDevices state they will not ship the product or charge your credit card without confirming you still wish to proceed when stock arrives. Importantly there are no cancellation charges either.

I know pre-order can mean there may still be a few months or more wait but it's still good news and one step nearer to launch.

For more information head over to EasyDevices
I for one will be looking forward to the eventual release and getting my copy.

Thanks to mcwarre for the heads up.

Guest awarner (MVP)
I heard that certain carrier's/device manufacturers have exclusive rights to Tomtom 7 for 2008 so it could be it's in the shops in 2009

Normally agreements like that last for about 6 months so it's certainly possible a release may be in a few months time. I'll post an update when I hear more

Guest DarkWanderer

I thought that it was only going to come preinstalled on new devices, buried in the system to prevent piracy. I guess TomTom realised they'd alienate all thier existing customers (and lose out on upgrade revenue) if they did that.

Guest Thumper Net

One tip for anyone with a few pounds over is to buy tomtom shares as it has lost 40% of its value ( die to the credit crisis in holland ) these should go back up in value soon so nows the chance to get in if you want, i have tomtom 7 on my htc touch pro and it works a treat with the western europe map , which was a while ago half price :lol:

tomtom 7 does also use the other version of tomtom home ( not the pda version ) but the version for the tomtom go .

the chance to alter your maps is cool as if you know a road is closed for a while which is normally on your route , then you can close it on the map and tomtom chooses another route .

nice update :D

Guest valerebel
One tip for anyone with a few pounds over is to buy tomtom shares as it has lost 40% of its value ( die to the credit crisis in holland ) these should go back up in value soon so nows the chance to get in if you want, i have tomtom 7 on my htc touch pro and it works a treat with the western europe map , which was a while ago half price :lol:

tomtom 7 does also use the other version of tomtom home ( not the pda version ) but the version for the tomtom go .

the chance to alter your maps is cool as if you know a road is closed for a while which is normally on your route , then you can close it on the map and tomtom chooses another route .

I am thinking of getting a Samsung Omnia but will TT7 be able to utilise the built in GPS I wonder? What about your HTC Touch Pro Thumper Net, internal or external GPS?

Regards

Valerebel

Guest estechco

The same could be said for many many companies in the current climate. My Apple shares are almost half what they were two months ago. I don't suppose TomTom are in any stronger position currently?

Guest T39andcounting

I currently have TT Nav 6 running on my Diamond. It's OK, but the animation is a little jerky, and it's usually a couple of seconds behind where I actually am. I wonder if TT Nav 6 has trouble with the higher resolution screen? Hopefully TT Nav 7 will be better, although I'll want to see a discount for upgrade. I have full Western European maps, and I don't want to be spending another £100+ to get a newer copy!

Guest deadphill
..........but does anyone know if TT7 will support built in GPS?

Someone must know!

Rgds

valerebel

Its inbuilt on the diamond (if bought sim free from htc at least) and works out of the box, so yes it does use the inbuilt receiver.

Cheers

Phill

Guest DarkWanderer
..........but does anyone know if TT7 will support built in GPS?

Someone must know!

Rgds

valerebel

One person has TT7 running on a Touch Pro and another TT6 on a Diamond. Both have internal GPS, so it is quite unlikely that TT7 won't support internal GPS devices. It would be a step backwards and would cause major bad press which no company can afford at the moment.

Guest Chocolicious
One person has TT7 running on a Touch Pro and another TT6 on a Diamond. Both have internal GPS, so it is quite unlikely that TT7 won't support internal GPS devices. It would be a step backwards and would cause major bad press which no company can afford at the moment.

I have TT7 running on my Diamond that normally comes bundled with the German version from T-Mobile and it runs beautifully, it even allows you to download one free city map so I can navigate London fine but anywhere else I am screwed! lol

Guest T39andcounting

Does anyone know if TT7 will work with TT6 maps? I've seen a TT7 CAB floating about in these forums, and I have the TT6 maps activated on my diamond, so would like to try TT7, however I don't want to screw up my device/maps/etc!

Guest deadphill
Does anyone know if TT7 will work with TT6 maps? I've seen a TT7 CAB floating about in these forums, and I have the TT6 maps activated on my diamond, so would like to try TT7, however I don't want to screw up my device/maps/etc!

It will not. you need TT7 maps to work with TT7.

Cheers

Phill

Guest gravityz

tomtom7 has issues with the build gps of the omnia

sometimes it workes sometimes not.

also tools like gpsgate or portsplitter do not make it more stable on my device

maybee it has something to do with gps driver versions of different roms

Not quite right as far as I have read. Won't work with older v6 maps, but newer ones it will.

http://www.theunwired.net/?item=unconfirme...r-6-maps-update

I have seen other places saying this, but can't find them at the moment.

Guest Thumper Net

On both the diamond and htc pro it uses the built in gps , on my wifes omnia she uses route 66 as this works perfectly on the omnia and its gps and is cheaper than tomtom as well ( 49 euros for the app and map of western europe )

Sorry, but this has been debunked by TomTom. The pic that's on the site is a mockup and Easy Devices have confirmed this.

More info available here

To quote Darren at PocketGPS:

Tom Tom have confirmed there are NO plans for retail packages of TTN7. It's available to OEM partners.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.