Be careful out there

Guest Networkguy

Guest Networkguy

For some reason, I always manage to drop any new phone I get within a week of getting it. Normally on the drive getting out of the car but non the less, it happens.

So 3 days in and whilst bending over to speak to my 5 year old son, my S740 slid straight out of my top front jacket pocket and straight onto a very hard London pavement. A drop of maybe 12 to 18 inches.

So what have I learned today?

That nice piece of clear plastic that runs right to the edges of the phone (and stands proud of the edges) and covers the whole top front of the phone does not like even the slighted impact. More importantly there is NOTHING to protect it from any knocks or bumps.

In both of the top corners, the plastic is now cracked in from the corner for about 2mm and there is a slight chip into the metal casing below it.

The phone functions fine and the corners can't be noticed until you look closely but none the less, rugged this ain't.

Having said this, even though the phone ended up on the pavement, there are no scratches on the phone at all which is actually what I was expecting.

So be careful. It looks like that front screen is going to be a weak break point.

Edited by Networkguy

Guest psionandy
For some reason, I always manage to drop any new phone I get within a week of getting it. Normally on the drive getting out of the car but non the less, it happens.

So 3 days in and whilst bending over to speak to my 5 year old son, my S740 slid straight out of my top front jacket pocket and straight onto a very hard London pavement. A drop of maybe 12 to 18 inches.

So what have I learned today?

er.... that keeping a phone in your jacket pocket is a bad move?????

Guest Networkguy
er.... that keeping a phone in your jacket pocket is a bad move?????

Well yes but it also explains why there was a sticker on the phone about not keeping it in your pants. That front screen is not going to like much pressure being applied to it so leaving it in you back pocket and then sitting down is going to result in a totaled phone!!

Guest mstephenson

There did seem to be several notices in the documentation about being very careful with pressure on that area of the phone. I didn't pay much attention as I assumed it was just your standard warning but seems that this could be an issue.

Thanks for the info though, I have started putting my phone in my shirt pocket lately so might just stop that now!

Edited by mstephenson