[FIXED 12-5-08!!]Tethering on the I910 Verizon Omnia?

Guest somedude

The commercial version of WiFiRouter (v1.25) has that ability.

I've not tried using it on the Omnia yet though. I plan on giving it a shot soon.

Where can I get it? Thanks....oh and btw: ....everyone phone gets kind a hot during this wifi internet sharing right?

My wifi icon has disappeared from connections after connecting couple times to the internet. Tried to soft reset couple times now luck so far....

How do I get it back....hard rest?

Guest bwonish
My wifi icon has disappeared from connections after connecting couple times to the internet. Tried to soft reset couple times now luck so far....

How do I get it back....hard rest?

You are not alone with this problem. It appears to be a problem with the phone and not this fix. You can soft reset until it comes back (if you are lucky, this will work eventually), you can try changing the the power saving feature for wifi, or as a last resort, you can do a hard reset. You can still expect to see this problem again though....

Edited by bwonish

Guest paradizelost
You are not alone with this problem. It appears to be a problem with the phone and not this fix. You can soft reset until it comes back (if you are lucky, this will work eventually), you can try changing the the power saving feature for wifi, or as a last resort, you can do a hard reset. You can still expect to see this problem again though....

What i do is options-> Crash cleanup and then do a soft reset. It usually comes back after that.

Guest krelvinaz

BTW... I downloaded the commercial version of WMWiFiRouter 1.25... uninstalled the 0.91 version, installed the 1.25 version and found it did not work.

It would connect, show up on the network and my Notebook could establish a connection with it, but the notebook was unable to get out to the internet from that connection. I suspect it has something to do with the interaction between the WMWiFiRouter and the hacked ICS

I uninstalled the 1.25 version and reinstalled the 0.91 version and it all works again.

The drawback is that the SSID is listed as WMWiFiRouter, and there is no protection or a way to block other users from using it.

Still good enough in a pinch, but I would use my WWAN card instead for most purposes which I carry with me all the time.

Guest somedude

when i try to connect with wifirouter, it keeps getting stuck on this step:

Connected

WLAN is ON! Waiting for ICS...

Its stuck on this step and does nothing. Any solution?

I need this to work by tomorrow!

Its very frustrating because it worked fine a day ago!

Edited by somedude

Guest somedude
Other than following the directions listed here

http://www.modaco.com/content-page/276545/...40/#entry943144

I can't offer much help.

Okay, i think the issue is that i cant turn on my wi-fi.

If i go to start-settings-connections-wireless manager

the wirless option is not even there anymore!!

and if i drag the wireless connection widget out and click on wi-fi, nothing happens...

anyone know how i can enable wi-fi again?

It would nice if we could change the name of this connection and have ability to add some kind of encryption between the phone and the laptop.

Anyone around us either on the bus or Starbucks can access our phone connection that's very insecure.

Guest dbsimms63

Used speedtest.net and got d/l of 650 and u/l of 200 and that was the far site in Presque Isle, ME

Used one closer in Corpus Christi, TX I got d/i of 650 and u/l of 305. Is this good from a 3G Verizon phone? Also, how can you tell if you are on the 3G network?

Edited by dbsimms63

Guest satori777

Ok...This is my first post. Been lurking around this thread for a while though.

I too lost my WiFi option and I did a hard reset and got it back. Gonna try the crash cleanup option in WMwifirouter options if it happens again.

My phone gets incredibly hot while it's sending a WiFi signal...and my laptop's WiFi card has always been a bit warm during WiFi usage so I figure the same thing is happening inside the phone just in a smaller space with no air circulation so it seems really hot. The phone is under a year warranty so IF it fries I'll just take it back to Verizon and tell them to replace my phone...and it'll work because they like kissing your ass while taking money from your wallet. If I fry the phone once I'm gonna look for other options.

As far as securing the network...it's pretty easy. Just go into the wireless manager and on the bottom it's got the menu. Open that and click WiFi options. On the next screen

double click YOUR wireless connection (the one coming from the phone). The next screen will have two options, choose work and click next. Now the next screen deals with

securing your network. Leave the top portion as OPEN and on the very next option (the one for encryption) choose WEP. Input a WEP key into the space provided (the one

that says WEP key). You can get a WEP key here http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/WEP_key/generator.php I chose a 64 bit key because I'm pretty sure that's all the

phone can handle. Write this key down because it's what you'll need to input into your computer to connect with your phone. Click next and next and you're done. Next time

you start everything up your comp will see your phone as a secure connection. Enter the written down WEP key upon connecting comp with phone and congradulations, you

now have a secure network.

I figured this out because of paranoia. My neighboor is a notorious unsecured wireless stealer...but I am too...so I guess we're even ;-)

Has anyone had any luck with a program like PDAnet???

Edited by satori777

Guest yojoe600
Used speedtest.net and got d/l of 650 and u/l of 200 and that was the far site in Presque Isle, ME

Used one closer in Corpus Christi, TX I got d/i of 650 and u/l of 305. Is this good from a 3G Verizon phone? Also, how can you tell if you are on the 3G network?

thats about what o got from greensboro,nc

Guest dave124
What i do is options-> Crash cleanup and then do a soft reset. It usually comes back after that.

THANK YOU. Doing the "Crash Cleanup" within the Wifirouter program options got me the WiFi option back after doing a soft reset.

:rolleyes:

Guest Craig T.

If I just do the ICS steps and skip the wmwifirouter steps, will I be able to connect using USB? Or is the wifi required? I strictly want to connect over USB if possible.

OctaneMS -- thanks so much!!

ICSInstall worked like a charm!

fyi, I'm only using BT/ICS (which I've used a lot with my MotoQ); haven't had a need to share wifi connections.

( :rolleyes: Verizon)

Guest constablewright

i just got an omnia and i like it... i am not electronics savvy... i had a voyager that i used to connect to the internet via usb Cable... Can someone help me with doing that on my omnia.. most palces i use the phone to connect do not have awireless signal... so i do not think the wifi will work for me... unless it uses the phones internet signal to send it to my laptop PLS Help!!! thanks

i just got an omnia and i like it... i am not electronics savvy... i had a voyager that i used to connect to the internet via usb Cable... Can someone help me with doing that on my omnia.. most palces i use the phone to connect do not have awireless signal... so i do not think the wifi will work for me... unless it uses the phones internet signal to send it to my laptop PLS Help!!! thanks

Install the ICSInstall.cab file, reboot the phone.

Connect phone to laptop via USB.

Run the IntShrUI program on the phone (I rename my link to Internet Sharing so it's easier to find).

Click Connect.

Your laptop should be able to use the internet through the phone.

Guest somedude

yeah if you only wish to share you internet connection via usb, simply install icsinstall.cab, connect tn phone through usb and connect.

Edited by somedude

Guest satori777

Hey..guess what guys...

badword THIS PHONE! I just returned it and reactivated my old treo 700...

It's a POS and all you people trying to polish a turd is quite hilarious. My Verizon contract expires in May...Tmobile G1 here I come. At least it's open source, the GPS isn't locked, and I won't get nickle and dimed...

badword Verizon, badword this phone, badword it's burning my hands and clunky performance...

Has any one seen that GPS constilation app on the G1? it'll make you want one...