GPS problems on i780 solved

Guest Tomas Kocanda

Guest Tomas Kocanda

Hi friends,

after couple days testing new (friend´s) i780 running OS 5.2.1944 build 18547.0.7.3, here is the final solution, what works for me just fine.

Need to mention I´m also running RealVGA 96dpi.

Basics:

i780 was delivered (to me) without any GPS software but with enabled External GPS and Enhanced GPS (AGPS) control panels in settings.

I wanted to get working three software packages - Garmin XT (for vector maps), Ozi Explorer CE (for some scanned and calibrated raster maps) and PathAway (for compatibility with Touratech raster maps mainly scanned russian millitary maps from Touratech, what I have in TTQV software on PC).

Easy setup of Garmin XT:

GPS in the handheld was simply not possible to use by anything else then Garmin XT. I tried also special version of XT (Samsung navigation) downloaded from Garmin website, but it´s like clone of XT. Not major differences I think. Both need this settings:

Enhanced GPS:

XTRA enable

Auto download (does not matter, I used disable)

And while connected I tried to download XTRA data manually and it does something.

External GPS:

GPS program port: GPD1

Hardware port: COM9 baud rate 4800

Manage GPS automatically: checked

In Garmin XT in GPS settings use "GPS intermediate driver" and it should work just fine

Problems:

Ozi and PathAway did not find anything at all. Ozi was sometimes reporting some GLL sentences in the black bottom area of GPS page, but no lock.

I tried well known and recommended software Port Splitter. Latest version is adviced as compatible with i780. Well - yes, but it does not help.

Port Splitter settings were tested all possible - input always COM9 where is GPS hardware and I tested to send it to all available COM ports. No luck at all.

I tested all possible combinations of setting in main setup of GPS (Enhanced as well as External) and it makes no difference. Simply this is dead end route.

Next step was essential and I downloaded great software called GPS Test. Search internet for version 1.04 or above (?), it´s made by Cartcross Ltd. It helps a lot if you are testing different settings etc. But for final working solution is not needed. Just nice toy...

Working solution:

I finally removed Port Splitter and tested two other packages - GPSGate and GPS Proxy.

Final and fully working solution to all above mentioned problems is GpsGate 2.6 from Franson.

Settings are very simple:

Setup parameters in External GPS to program port COM7 and leave others as mentioned above (COM9 and 4800bd and checked box).

Open GPSGate and put input as COM7, output as COM1. I use also Garmin emulation on COM2 as I use more then one GPS software packages.

In Garmin XT is no change, leave there Intermediate driver and it will work fine

In Ozi setup NMEA GPS on COM1: Franson COM1, baud 4800 and GPRMC, in other tab is all checked and in SIRF all unchecked. Since that it will work fine.

In PathAway use protocol NMEA, port COM1: Franson COM1 and 4800bd

My PathAway version is Standard 5.00.26

OziExplorer CE is version 2.19

UPDATED:

Above works with GoogleMaps also without any problems. GPS settings are "managed by windows" and it simply works fine.

Hope it will help..

I´m sure there is another way, how to eliminate need for Franson GpsGate but it´s so simple with it, that I dont need to seek another solution as this works perfect.

Edited by Tomas Kocanda

• 8 months later...
Guest Ramucio
Hi friends,

after couple days testing new (friend´s) i780 running OS 5.2.1944 build 18547.0.7.3, here is the final solution, what works for me just fine.

Need to mention I´m also running RealVGA 96dpi.

Basics:

i780 was delivered (to me) without any GPS software but with enabled External GPS and Enhanced GPS (AGPS) control panels in settings.

I wanted to get working three software packages - Garmin XT (for vector maps), Ozi Explorer CE (for some scanned and calibrated raster maps) and PathAway (for compatibility with Touratech raster maps mainly scanned russian millitary maps from Touratech, what I have in TTQV software on PC).

Easy setup of Garmin XT:

GPS in the handheld was simply not possible to use by anything else then Garmin XT. I tried also special version of XT (Samsung navigation) downloaded from Garmin website, but it´s like clone of XT. Not major differences I think. Both need this settings:

Enhanced GPS:

XTRA enable

Auto download (does not matter, I used disable)

And while connected I tried to download XTRA data manually and it does something.

External GPS:

GPS program port: GPD1

Hardware port: COM9 baud rate 4800

Manage GPS automatically: checked

In Garmin XT in GPS settings use "GPS intermediate driver" and it should work just fine

Problems:

Ozi and PathAway did not find anything at all. Ozi was sometimes reporting some GLL sentences in the black bottom area of GPS page, but no lock.

I tried well known and recommended software Port Splitter. Latest version is adviced as compatible with i780. Well - yes, but it does not help.

Port Splitter settings were tested all possible - input always COM9 where is GPS hardware and I tested to send it to all available COM ports. No luck at all.

I tested all possible combinations of setting in main setup of GPS (Enhanced as well as External) and it makes no difference. Simply this is dead end route.

Next step was essential and I downloaded great software called GPS Test. Search internet for version 1.04 or above (?), it´s made by Cartcross Ltd. It helps a lot if you are testing different settings etc. But for final working solution is not needed. Just nice toy...

Working solution:

I finally removed Port Splitter and tested two other packages - GPSGate and GPS Proxy.

Final and fully working solution to all above mentioned problems is GpsGate 2.6 from Franson.

Settings are very simple:

Setup parameters in External GPS to program port COM7 and leave others as mentioned above (COM9 and 4800bd and checked box).

Open GPSGate and put input as COM7, output as COM1. I use also Garmin emulation on COM2 as I use more then one GPS software packages.

In Garmin XT is no change, leave there Intermediate driver and it will work fine

In Ozi setup NMEA GPS on COM1: Franson COM1, baud 4800 and GPRMC, in other tab is all checked and in SIRF all unchecked. Since that it will work fine.

In PathAway use protocol NMEA, port COM1: Franson COM1 and 4800bd

My PathAway version is Standard 5.00.26

OziExplorer CE is version 2.19

UPDATED:

Above works with GoogleMaps also without any problems. GPS settings are "managed by windows" and it simply works fine.

Hope it will help..

I´m sure there is another way, how to eliminate need for Franson GpsGate but it´s so simple with it, that I dont need to seek another solution as this works perfect.

Thank you for you testing and writing to us.